• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Australia in England 2020 (Non-Ashes)*****

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Smith concussion must be a concern, judging from last summer he has no mental issue over getting over it but if any time he gets hit he is out for a while then it will worry him and Australia. Hopefully it is just a couple of unlucky blows and not something that keeps happening.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, I dunno about this.

It was only Maxwell who was pumping Rashid for sixes. Morgan brought Rashid back right towards the end and he got Maxwell out. Genius captaincy?

Then he let him bowl again because the rest of Australia can't play him.

He was probably being a bit too cute by bowling him against the lefty, but not as baffling a decision as it seems on the surface.

I blame Rashid for offering a nice lollipop to Starc first ball tbh.
This is true - no matter how you analyse the captaincy decision, Rashid did bowl two absolute pies that Chris Martin might've put away as well. A captaincy decision is only as good as the person you choose making good on it. I remember stinking up a thread for pages making this point in terms of a declaration not necessarily ever being good or bad by rights.

Mind you, it's always been a fair strategy to do what the other team least wants you to do. Bowling Rashid I imagine was a lot closer to what Starc wanted them to do than any of Archer, Wood or Curran

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's had an incredible series and this could be a turnaround, but it doesn't change that he's been a pretty poor ODI cricketer for the last 5 years.
I feel like Maxwell tries to hit the ball too bloody hard, and that leads to his inconsistencies that he's either right in rhythm or he's right out of it. I was intrigued as to the other night, how he really swings his arse off every time he's hitting for the fences. If you look at bigger hitters around the world, yeah they're probably sometimes advantaged by being bigger guys, but they look more in control and therefore their timing doesn't fall out of wack as much. Maxwell always looks like a guy who needs to be timing it perfectly to get any runs, and can fall out of timing very easily (and therefore out of form).

TheJediBrah

Yeah I thought I quote tweeted him, was about his Maxwell post. As usual Victim CC chairman Burgey had to rush in and cry though. Shocking to no one.
ftr I don't think anyone is calling Maxwell an ATG, unless we're talking in the most bits-and-pieces sense

flibbertyjibber

I feel like Maxwell tries to hit the ball too bloody hard
I liken him to KP in a way, when he plays sensibly he is so much better and as he is so powerful/good he doesn't need to force it. The best innings both play/played are when they start slowly and just allow natural aggression to take over once set. Going hard too early usually leads to disappointment and an early finish, something many women will understand :whistling

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I liken him to KP in a way, when he plays sensibly he is so much better and as he is so powerful/good he doesn't need to force it. The best innings both play/played are when they start slowly and just allow natural aggression to take over once set. Going hard too early usually leads to disappointment and an early finish, something many women will understand :whistling
I too wish women would stop finishing early.

Spark

Global Moderator
The Smith concussion must be a concern, judging from last summer he has no mental issue over getting over it but if any time he gets hit he is out for a while then it will worry him and Australia. Hopefully it is just a couple of unlucky blows and not something that keeps happening.
Whilst true, it's worth remembering that it did only happen literally a week ago. Usually if a concussion is bad enough to rule you out of a sporting event, the general recommendation is that you sit out at least the next week.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is true - no matter how you analyse the captaincy decision, Rashid did bowl two absolute pies that Chris Martin might've put away as well. A captaincy decision is only as good as the person you choose making good on it. I remember stinking up a thread for pages making this point in terms of a declaration not necessarily ever being good or bad by rights.

Mind you, it's always been a fair strategy to do what the other team least wants you to do. Bowling Rashid I imagine was a lot closer to what Starc wanted them to do than any of Archer, Wood or Curran
Tbh it probably misses the forest for the trees to focus on who bowls the last over. In practice, unless you're an unhittable freak like Bumrah or have a superb yorker, it's pretty hard to defend 10 runs against good sloggers these days. They have six chances to swing for the fences and will probably get one away somehow and singles and twos will suffice for the rest.

Daemon

Daemon actually has it made. Good job, good connections and a hot girlfriend (i think i botched this quote but whatever)
I've got some pretty good connections imo.

Know a Judge in Sydney, a couple of lawyers in the UK and one in India as well. I even know a published author, the world scrabble champion and a guy who makes superb powerpoints.