• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Australia in England 2020 (Non-Ashes)*****

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His career strike rate being the best of all time is enough of a bonus to prop up the inconsistency in other areas. He's not only a 'big hitter' he's one of the very best at big hitting and its unfair on him to downplay that

And tbh he averages more than Harry

mr_mister

And his fielding but not be as good as Jontys but he's still clearly one of the best in the world currently

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His career strike rate being the best of all time is enough of a bonus to prop up the inconsistency in other areas. He's not only a 'big hitter' he's one of the very best at big hitting and its unfair on him to downplay that

And tbh he averages more than Harry
He's had an incredible series and this could be a turnaround, but it doesn't change that he's been a pretty poor ODI cricketer for the last 5 years.

mr_mister

He had an awesome series against Pak last year before the WC

He hasn't been consistently useless for 5 years. The awesome 2015 WC followed by the mediocre 2019 WC doesn't do him many favours

stephen

Nice to finally win a jamodi series against the old enemy. I genuinely can't remember the last time we beat them in an ODI series. Would have to be mid 2010s or earlier.

Bijed

International Regular
Nice to finally win a jamodi series against the old enemy. I genuinely can't remember the last time we beat them in an ODI series. Would have to be mid 2010s or earlier.
Yeah, 2015 I think, meaning that your victories bookend our now-broken undefeated home streak (I believe)

TheJediBrah

England's "series" loss against Scotland should count IMO

He had an awesome series against Pak last year before the WC

He hasn't been consistently useless for 5 years. The awesome 2015 WC followed by the mediocre 2019 WC doesn't do him many favours
If this is a sign of things to come from him then I'd be ecstatic. But I've been burnt by Maxwell too many times before to have high expectations.

Would still love to see him get a run in the Test side though

Gnske

Imagine having a plethora of bowlers at your disposal and you choose Adil Rashid to bowl the final over.

Absolute mongtastic captaincy

the big bambino

International Captain
Some very amusing reading in this thread. Just shows you should wait for a bloke to get out before commenting on him.

Then again Maxwell has put egg on my face with this innings, not that I mind though. It's only fair this innings keeps him in the side but will he become the player Australia has always dreamed or stay the one we've come to know?

Maybe England did help beat themselves but this is a good win from Australia after 5/73. And such a contrast to the last game when Australia perhaps assisted in its own defeat with some comedic batting. Good to see Carey get runs. Was worried he'd been found out. Hopefully the luck he got today will see a return to his WC form.

Burgey

Maxwell at seven somehow seems a good fit.

Very happy for Carey. Once again, Burgey's Second Law - that players who perform in WCs are the quality ones - stands true.

Edit: watching the highlights and 5/80 odd with Nasser at Nasser-level smug bastardry. Looking forward to hearing him a little later on.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Maxwell at seven somehow seems a good fit.

Very happy for Carey. Once again, Burgey's Second Law - that players who perform in WCs are the quality ones - stands true.

Edit: watching the highlights and 5/80 odd with Nasser at Nasser-level smug bastardry. Looking forward to hearing him a little later on.
I too am watching the highlights(with a cricket mad client no less, easy money)

How good were some of Maxis sixes. Amazes me the risks he takes even in the 90s. Can't call him selfish

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
This game was such a roller coaster. First England were down, then up, then down, then mildly up again. Then the Aussies were down, then further down, and then Maxwell turns up, but it's too late, surely. Then up the Aussies go, and up, and up, and then England go up a bit...but is it too late? Or is it actually even now? Is there a twist? No the Aussies are comfortably ahead. And hey, here comes Rashid for the last over. Is that good? Is it bad? Who knows. Oh dear.

Think this loss is mostly on Morgan. Overbowled Root - the 2 quick Root wickets blinded him - and persisted with him a bit too long. I thought Bairstow threw his wicket away too. Too often batsmen take their hundred and then think their work is done. Bairstow needed to pile on another 20-30 runs while set.

TheJediBrah

Don't agree with Rashid at the death, mostly because of big-hitting left-handed Starc, but if he had have bowled England to victory you'd all be calling Morgan a genius

trundler

Most of the time people who criticize captaincy are talking bollocks. Throughout the series people have been calling for Finch's head. Now all of a sudden he's a genius who's won a series in England and India. Also, people always glorify retired captains and pile on current ones. Have difficulty believing there are no good captains in the world ATM.

Daemon

no good captains in the world ATM
Also untrue, there was a discussion recently where most people said the lack of quality captaincy is more of a Test thing. In ODIs Morgan's name was thrown up as one of the good captains.

I understand there's a lot of unfair criticism at times, but lets not go completely in the opposite direction.

It's definitely fair to criticise Morgan for bowling Rashid in the final over given how he'd gone before that.