• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Australia in England 2020 (Non-Ashes)*****

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm still going full length and pace to a guy who's new at the crease. If he nicks a couple, so be it. But if I'm an international bowler who's paid to hit a length on cue, I'd like to think I could manage it. Or someone like Curran with a well disguised slower ball, that's something lower order batsmen struggle hugely with.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying it's actually pretty hard to do without leaking at least one boundary, and when you're defending 10 runs, leaking even one boundary actually is pretty damaging for your chances. Certainly possible, but the baseline should be that the batting side ought to win most of the time in that scenario unless you're talking rabbits with no batting ability or hitting power.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also reckon they'd have been a much better chance of defending it if Cummins had been on strike.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying it's actually pretty hard to do without leaking at least one boundary, and when you're defending 10 runs, leaking even one boundary actually is pretty damaging for your chances. Certainly possible, but the baseline should be that the batting side ought to win most of the time in that scenario unless you're talking rabbits with no batting ability or hitting power.
Wonder what the odds/stats would be on a number 9 needing 10 to win, having just come out to bat. My mind tells me a little bit less than evens.

But as I said before, captaincy decisions are not necessarily cut and dried as good ones or bad ones when they're made - execution largely makes them so (although clearly there's ones that seem less educated than others). Bowling wrong-uns out of Starc's arc might've made Morgan look a bit better than floaty pies.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wonder what the odds/stats would be on a number 9 needing 10 to win, having just come out to bat. My mind tells me a little bit less than evens.

But as I said before, captaincy decisions are not necessarily cut and dried as good ones or bad ones when they're made - execution largely makes them so (although clearly there's ones that seem less educated than others). Bowling wrong-uns out of Starc's arc might've made Morgan look a bit better than floaty pies.
If it were an ordinary 9 then I'd agree. But Starc is a pretty efficient slogger and has good hand-eye coordination, which as good as being a "batsman" in such circumstances -- as he showed on the night. I'd honestly prefer him in that situation to, say, Marcus Stoinis.

Shady Slim

International Coach
If it were an ordinary 9 then I'd agree. But Starc is a pretty efficient slogger and has good hand-eye coordination, which as good as being a "batsman" in such circumstances -- as he showed on the night. I'd honestly prefer him in that situation to, say, Marcus Stoinis.
still remember that big bash semi where stoinis had the last over to himself against clint mckay who bowled six slower ball bouncers and stoinis swung at all of them and missed

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
still remember that big bash semi where stoinis had the last over to himself against clint mckay who bowled six slower ball bouncers and stoinis swung at all of them and missed
So that was Stoinis? I remember the over well, and the 'Gades managing to royally **** up the chase in their accustomed manner, but didn't remember who was facing.

Seems about right for him. IIRC they were pretty much identical deliveries too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did a similar thing in one of the games on this tour, where he was dished up some leg side length balls and missed about three or four in a row. Weird cricketer tstl