• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia 'A' in Pakistan

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Pak A 114 for 3 too - won by seven wickets.

Jaques c behind b Umar Gul 1
Sami 14-3-33-4 :lol:
Bracken 30 & 4-0-26-0 :D
Salman Butt 47
Shoaib Malik 38 & 7-3-23-0
Gul 11-6-15-2 :happy:
For someone who's from Norway and not New Zealand, England or Sri Lanka, you seem to take a great deal of pleasure in Australia doing poorly. :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
For someone who's from Norway and not New Zealand, England or Sri Lanka, you seem to take a great deal of pleasure in Australia doing poorly. :p
Busted. :D

It's about time someone unseated your lads, though. Been on top for, what, twelve years? Time to give away the throne :)

simmy

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Busted. :D

It's about time someone unseated your lads, though. Been on top for, what, twelve years? Time to give away the throne :)
They just did!!! :laugh:

nehrafan

Banned
MY congrats to Pak national team (the so called "A team" had 7-8 member of national side) for beating the Aussie juniors.

Pak team has shown today that they can atleast match Aussie junior side!!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
nehrafan said:
MY congrats to Pak national team (the so called "A team" had 7-8 member of national side) for beating the Aussie juniors.

Pak team has shown today that they can atleast match Aussie junior side!!
Juniors?

Hussey - 30 (played ODIs)
Jaques - 26
Hodge - 30
Thornely - 26
Watson - 24 (played ODIs)
Haddin - 28 (played ODIs)
White - 22
Bracken - 28 (yesterday. played Tests)
Johnson - 24
Lewis - 31
Cullen - 21

As for Pakistan national team...four would e reasonably established in the first-class team (Shoaib, Salman, Yasir, Asim) with Sami also a fixture in the one-day side. Bazid Khan was injury replacement, while Umar Gul has been injured so much he can hardly expect to walk back into the side.

It's probably more like Pak A+ v Aus A. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Interesting...Watson with 4 wickets, Cullen going for 57 without a wicket. White bowling well to get 3 wickets in the 2nd innings.
3-36 in 5.5 - might they have been a tad looking to get the game over?

social said:
Obviously a poor wicket.
Australia A manager rues losing the toss

From our correspondent

RAWALPINDI: Australia A team manager Bernard Robertson rued losing the toss on a sporting Pindi Cricket Stadium track following Pakistan A’s comprehensive win inside three days of the first four-day match here on Tuesday.

"The pitch had everything for the pace bowlers and winning the toss here was crucial. Pakistan A was lucky to have won the toss and from there on we were never able to get back in the game," the Australian team manager said.

He however said that credit still goes to Pakistan bowlers especially Umar Gul and Mohammad Sami. "Though the toss was crucial, I still think that Pakistan bowlers stuck to the task very well. They did not allow our batsmen to settle down and bowled according to plan," he said. Robertson had all praise for Umar. "He is a very promising bowler and bowled to a tight length while Sami kept on taking wickets at the other end."

The Australia A team manager was also concerned about getting little time to prepare for the match. "Look the players hardly had regrouped when they had to play against Pakistan A. Some were coming from Australia and others joined them from England. You need some time to get accustomed to the conditions in an away series," he said.
At the same time, Robertson sees little difference in the wicket behaviour to what they found back home. "If there was any difference in the wicket behaviour to what we find back home it was very minor. We almost get the same tracks back home to what we get here in Pindi," he said Robertson hoped his team would play better in the next four-day match starting at the KRL Ground from September 17. "We have almost three days at our disposal to train for the next game. You would definitely find overall improvement during next matches," he said.

The Australian manager also hoped to see some changes in the team for the next match. "We have 14 players in all with and hopeful all would be given opportunity to play," he said.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
It's probably more like Pak A+ v Aus A. :p
It's basically Aus A minus the seniors. That team (for obvious reasons) is geared not towards the second best playing XI in Australia but those who might be in the first team in the future.

Still, it's a very strong side and I'd expect them to do fairly well.

How on earth Pak are able to get pitches in Pakistan like that in Australia is beyond me.I have never ever seen such wkts in India, considering India and Pakistan are part of the same region, the pitches should be be almost the same in both countries.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
How on earth Pak are able to get pitches in Pakistan like that in Australia is beyond me.I have never ever seen such wkts in India, considering India and Pakistan are part of the same region, the pitches should be be almost the same in both countries.
I doubt the wickets were exactly the same. I think he was saying that the pitches were quite like Australian conditions as opposed to typical subcontinent conditions, which doesn't surprise me given how early in the season it is. The wicket was obviously a seamer-friendly one and somewhat underdone, which is quite similar to what you would see in Australia right now.

Well they can't be exactly the same, in Australia the ball bounces on pitch like anything while in subcontinent it is hardly of any note.

Still i have seen Pakistani pitches to be more pacer friendly as compared to India, Pakistani pitches have always something for fast bowlers while in India pitches offers nothing for fast bowlers except dissapointment.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the obvious juice in the pitch and by the sounds of it the Pakistan 'A' bowlers were bowling really well, it just shows what a class batsman Jaques is and what a future prospect he will be for us, to be able to carry his bat when other more fancied players barely got off the mark is a credit to him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
With the obvious juice in the pitch and by the sounds of it the Pakistan 'A' bowlers were bowling really well, it just shows what a class batsman Jaques is and what a future prospect he will be for us, to be able to carry his bat when other more fancied players barely got off the mark is a credit to him.
word kyle, that performance kind switch my idea of Hussey replacing Hayden this season if he fails sooner or later.....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
word kyle, that performance kind switch my idea of Hussey replacing Hayden this season if he fails sooner or later.....
Hussey should be nowhere near next in line. He has rarely dominated in Australia. You can argue that he has done well in England and in his ODI and he has, but I think Jaques is just a class above. And Maher has a far better record in Australia then Hussey, I would even have him ahead of Hussey.

Next openers in line should be: Jaques, Maher, then Hussey. But I'm realistic enough to know Maher isn't close.

greg

International Debutant
GladiatrsInBlue said:
You don't get the same pitches at the Oval and Headingley so quite why Pakistan and Indian pitches should be the same seems to be attaching some sort of stereotype to me. The fact that India have barely produced a fast bowler of note in their entire history whereas Pakistan have produced several should be enough to recognise that their pitches are different. And without surprise. From one side of Pakistan to the other side of India is not a small area!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
greg said:
You don't get the same pitches at the Oval and Headingley so quite why Pakistan and Indian pitches should be the same seems to be attaching some sort of stereotype to me. The fact that India have barely produced a fast bowler of note in their entire history whereas Pakistan have produced several should be enough to recognise that their pitches are different. And without surprise. From one side of Pakistan to the other side of India is not a small area!
I'm not sure if its just a pitch thing though.........

India is a big country and contrary to the beliefs of a number of people on this forum, there is a fair bit of variety in the pitches in the country.
There's been a trend since 1999-2000 (since the BCCI relaid a number of pitches) around the country of more even contests between bat and ball in the Ranji trophy. There was an excellent article by Cricinfo a while back pointing out that the effectiveness of pace bowlers in Indian domestic cricket had actually increased over the last 5 years due partially at least to the increase in the number of seamer friendly wickets.
I'll try and dig up the article .....its worth a read.
There are more pace bowlers coming up now in India pushing for national/A team selection then there was say ten years ago - yet the inconsistency and the lack of genuine pace remains - although there are hopes that the likes of VRV Singh, Munaf Patel and Abid Nabi will spark a change in the latter area.

greg

International Debutant
jamesryfler said:
I'm not sure if its just a pitch thing though.........

India is a big country and contrary to the beliefs of a number of people on this forum, there is a fair bit of variety in the pitches in the country.
There's been a trend since 1999-2000 (since the BCCI relaid a number of pitches) around the country of more even contests between bat and ball in the Ranji trophy. There was an excellent article by Cricinfo a while back pointing out that the effectiveness of pace bowlers in Indian domestic cricket had actually increased over the last 5 years due partially at least to the increase in the number of seamer friendly wickets.
I'll try and dig up the article .....its worth a read.
There are more pace bowlers coming up now in India pushing for national/A team selection then there was say ten years ago - yet the inconsistency and the lack of genuine pace remains - although there are hopes that the likes of VRV Singh, Munaf Patel and Abid Nabi will spark a change in the latter area.
Agreed - it is another reason why touring India should possibly not as daunting as once it was. I remember a similar article - arguing that all that mattered to India was their home record (because that kept their fans happy) and that had had a direct impact on the pitches they have historically produced. The implication was that if India were genuinely interested in becoming a recognised "great team" they would have to produce the ability to win away - and that meant changing their attitude to home pitches (which like you say is/was beginning to happen). The unfortunate thing is that it may have come too late. The indian batting line-up of the first half of the decade would have graced any "great" test team in history. But their self-inflicted lack of pace bowlers cost them the chance to be considered as such.