• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia 'A' in Pakistan

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Australia A make their way to 314 for 5 against a "proper" Pakistan A side. No Jaques, tho...

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Scorecards/f/0/ff859.html

Highlights:

First wicket partnership 84 - Hussey 15 of those
Hodge 68
James Hopes 146 - called up instead of Phil Jaques
Mitch Johnson dropped for Stuart Clark
Cam White moved down to eight
19 no-balls from Pakistan
Mohammad Irshad 14-2-60-0
Imran Farhat bowled seven overs
Shoaib Malik, Umar Gul, Mohammad Sami, Asim Kamal, Salman Butt, Yasir Hameed and Shahid Nazir replaced by Imran Farhat, Mohammad Irshad, Mohammad Asif, Hasan Raza, Ashar Zaidi, Faisal Iqbal and Najaf Shah.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
interesting, great to see hopes getting runs. But the only reason i guess Jaques has been dropped, but i'm guessing the selectors of both sides have some ratation policy going on since Shoaib malik & shaid nazir also aren't playing.....

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why would Hopes- someone with a sub 30 first class average- be in the Australian A side?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Odd Australian team.

Hopes would be in the side because he played an ODI last year, so he's in the squad to play in the OD games as an all-rounder. Not sure why he's playing in this match, but I guess they wanted to give him a go, and apparently he took it with both hands. Only his second FC century.

It's not a stunningly strong bowling attack either, with just Clark and Lewis as seamers with no Bracken or Johnson, and White and Cullen needing to bowl a lot of overs. Hopes and Watson will probably bowl a bit as well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Macka said:
Hopes hasn't looked anything special from the couple of times I've seen him play.
He's not really. I think he's got a fair amount of potential in the one day format though. His mediums are difficult to get away and he's a bit hitter down the order. Certainly not a test prospect.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
He's not really. I think he's got a fair amount of potential in the one day format though. His mediums are difficult to get away and he's a bit hitter down the order. Certainly not a test prospect.
Not necessarily. Hopes was pretty ordinary coming into the last Australian domestic season, but has picked his act up amazingly. His batting has come on very well and has cemented his spot in the Qld top 6. While I don't think he's in Australia's immediate plans for the test side, another good season and he could be on the plane to South Africa or pressing for a place early next home summer. He should definitely become a full time member of the ODI squad.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Not necessarily. Hopes was pretty ordinary coming into the last Australian domestic season, but has picked his act up amazingly. His batting has come on very well and has cemented his spot in the Qld top 6. While I don't think he's in Australia's immediate plans for the test side, another good season and he could be on the plane to South Africa or pressing for a place early next home summer. He should definitely become a full time member of the ODI squad.
He should be in the running for an ODI spot, although not a definate member yet as there's no obvious spot for him. I think both he and Cameron White are long-term number 7 prospects.

Anyway, he's only going to be a batsman at test level, if anything. His bowling is never going to be penetrative enough. And given that he only averages 30 in FC cricket with the bat, he'll have to improve an amazing amount to even be considered for a batting position alone.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
He should be in the running for an ODI spot, although not a definate member yet as there's no obvious spot for him. I think both he and Cameron White are long-term number 7 prospects.

Anyway, he's only going to be a batsman at test level, if anything. His bowling is never going to be penetrative enough. And given that he only averages 30 in FC cricket with the bat, he'll have to improve an amazing amount to even be considered for a batting position alone.
Stranger things have happened like a batsman struggling to average 40 in first class cricket being promoted to the top side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Stranger things have happened like a batsman struggling to average 40 in first class cricket being promoted to the top side.
Except he's only averaging 30, and there's no reason to believe he has talent extending beyond his average as of yet.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Except he's only averaging 30, and there's no reason to believe he has talent extending beyond his average as of yet.
Why? We've seen on countless occasions players have very poor stats to their first class careers and become more consistent and reliable performans. Vice Versa we have seen some players have amazing starts on to fizzle out.

I am in no way saying he should be picked immediately, but he shouldn't be discounted either. He is obviously under the selectors' radar and if he continues to impress in these circumstances his claims cannot be denied.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Why? We've seen on countless occasions players have very poor stats to their first class careers and become more consistent and reliable performans. Vice Versa we have seen some players have amazing starts on to fizzle out.

I am in no way saying he should be picked immediately, but he shouldn't be discounted either. He is obviously under the selectors' radar and if he continues to impress in these circumstances his claims cannot be denied.
Well sure, if he has a massive improvement in the near future, he could move into selection consideration, but so could Cam White or Greg Mail. The point is he's a long way from serious consideration as a batsman right now, and his bowling isn't the sort which is going to be penetrating enough for test cricket. I think talking about him joining the test squad in South Africa is pretty bizarre, unless he has a season twice as good as his last.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Well sure, if he has a massive improvement in the near future, he could move into selection consideration, but so could Cam White or Greg Mail. The point is he's a long way from serious consideration as a batsman right now, and his bowling isn't the sort which is going to be penetrating enough for test cricket. I think talking about him joining the test squad in South Africa is pretty bizarre, unless he has a season twice as good as his last.
Yeah, he would have to average 90 with the bat and 18 with the ball, and I certainly don't think he will be going to South Africa, but its not impossible. But to say that he is "certainly not a test prospect", whilst it might be true for the immediate future it is a bit early to be earmarking him 'Never to play test cricket'.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, he would have to average 90 with the bat and 18 with the ball, and I certainly don't think he will be going to South Africa, but its not impossible. But to say that he is "certainly not a test prospect", whilst it might be true for the immediate future it is a bit early to be earmarking him 'Never to play test cricket'.
Just like Dominic Thornley then? ;)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Emcee said:
Second game ends in a draw, Hussey hits ton, it really is becoming a shootout between him and Jacques for Haydern's spot.
Its just not going to happen anytime soon. If Hayden doesn't get a score against the ROW he's got a test coming up at the Gabba shortly in which he'll cash in.

Don't write these Hayden obits too soon.

Emcee

Cricket Spectator
Its just not going to happen anytime soon
Your probs right but it should have happend before the ashes. He looks that out of sorts he will likely struggle against the Windies any way. He dosn't deserve to be in the team if
Martyrn dosn't.