• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. It's probably just the spate of 4-0 and 5-0 thrashings over the past few years accentuating it, but this has to be one of the most bipolar series of all time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mitchell Marsh clearly has a load of ability but I'm not sure this was the right time to dump him in on reflection. He looked dreadful today, might have been better going for Watson. Start is better than nothing.
He wasn't the main problem though. If you're picking your allrounder based on the rest of the team collapsing with the bat, then you're picking another batsman and not an all-rounder. If the rest of the team had mustered up something that even mildly resembled a decent batting effort (and if England hadn't bowled so well), he might've got to ease into the role under a bit less pressure. I thought he bowled pretty well for what it was worth.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone see this?

Brad Haddin's daughter and family should come first.

I mean, y'know it's Mama Mia so I'm not expecting Kierkegaard but holy ****, this idea that the selectors have been ruthless should absolutely die. If anything, they've been far too lenient and so have boxed themselves into this corner where every decision they're making looks bad. On form with both bat and gloves, the humane action would have been to dump Haddin and a few others months ago along and the team built around newer guys in time for this series. Instead, players have been selected in the hope they'd come good and now we have a few blokes with < 5 Tests under their belts shoehorned in the team hoping they'll contribute.

Had to giggle at Haddin being called a role model both off and on the pitch too. Does this article writer even cricket.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In answer to your rhetorical question about the article writer, she clearly has less than zero idea about cricket. To give her some backhanded credit however, she is probably on par with Rebecca Wilson, and sportswriting is supposed to be Rebecca's job.

The situation with Haddin's daughter is really sad, and obviously everyone hopes she is ok, but as other's have said he was on wobbly legs anyway form-wise.

Kirkut

International Regular
An off topic question here. Is data analytics a major part of English cricket? They must have used regression analysis to prepare the pitch custom made for home team.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Has there ever been a batsman which such a difference between 1st and 2nd innings as Smith?

1st Innings: 31 Inn, 2099 runs @ 72.37, 10 centuries, 4 fifties
2nd Innings: 29 Inn, 842 runs @ 36.60, 0 centuries, 8 fifties

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone see this?

Brad Haddin's daughter and family should come first.

I mean, y'know it's Mama Mia so I'm not expecting Kierkegaard but holy ****, this idea that the selectors have been ruthless should absolutely die. If anything, they've been far too lenient and so have boxed themselves into this corner where every decision they're making looks bad. On form with both bat and gloves, the humane action would have been to dump Haddin and a few others months ago along and the team built around newer guys in time for this series. Instead, players have been selected in the hope they'd come good and now we have a few blokes with < 5 Tests under their belts shoehorned in the team hoping they'll contribute.

Had to giggle at Haddin being called a role model both off and on the pitch too. Does this article writer even cricket.
Yeah I saw this. Sounds like his mum wrote it. Imagine if the writer knew he was actually a bit crap.

flibbertyjibber

Didn't see the game last night but I've looked at the dismissals. Just more of the same really. The definition of stupid is to keep repeating your mistakes over and over again.

Yet still Jono posts here....
Burgey going easy on me, normally in ashes thread it me who gets it.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
It is not inconceivable that Australia could win this. 150 in front will give them a sniff.
I just can't see it happening. The scoring rate died when Warner got out. Without someone helping Nev by playing some shots it feels like a crawl to any sort of a total. I suspect that the last 3 just trying to survive will end badly. Even a miracle of 150 I don't feel good at based on the 1st innings bowling. Starc would have to turn up and Haze not serve up a 4 ball each over.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The batting is rubbish

England only got 270 odd despite Australia throwing 4 balls around like confetti and the less said about Australia the better
I agree with you. England are ****ing lucky that Haze and Starc have been so woeful otherwise we'd have a game on our hands here even after bowling your mob out for 130 1st dig.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Haze seemed to be trying too hard to get a wicket rather than just settling into spells of channel bowling. Seems to have less control vs lefties which is an issue against this current lineup.

flibbertyjibber

I agree with you. England are ****ing lucky that Haze and Starc have been so woeful otherwise we'd have a game on our hands here even after bowling your mob out for 130 1st dig.
True but after we had bowled them out for that we would have all taken 281 given that we could easily have been rolled over cheaply as well. Just a bit annoying we gave so many gifts away but then again so have the Aussies.

The 2nd innings Aus batting has been desperate given they needed to fight. Finn bowled well but it wasn't Johnson in Australia type bowling.

Last edited: