• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Laurrz said:
If Giles takes wickets tomororw it wil be off bad shots... ie. top edge sweeps.. thin edge cut shots
I'll go further than that and say that if Giles takes wickets tomorrow I'll streak this forum :sleep:

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
I dont think he was trying to hit it in the air. The ball either stopped on him a bit, or he just misjudged the pace of the ball and spooned it in the air. Either way though he needs to start scoring soon, as does Cook as England cant continue to depend on their 3,4 and 5.
I thought Collingwood was sensational today, probably one of the best innings ive seen in recent times from an English batsman. He knows his limitations really really well. He only seemed to play 2 shots all day. Anything short and wide he cut, anything on the pads he flicked or nudged, everything else he either blocked or left alone. There was one pull shot that he should not have played and nearly got him out, but bar that he only played the shots that are bread and butter for him and he nudged singles with ease. You could be forgiven for having thought that you were looking at a mirror image of Graham Thorpe today.
I noted what you said later on about Bel and Collingwood, but how do you rate Bell's performance? I think he is trying very hard to stay in and get runs, and perhaps that is affecting his natural game and that he isn't proactive enough in looking for quick singles to help ease the pressure on him. He batted well yeasterday but I can not work out what was going through his head to play that shot that got out.

As for sweeping, there is nothing wrong in playing it IMO ifyou what you are doing. I have read a cricket manuel by Imran Khan on the topic of sweeping he said to move your leg outside leg stump to prevent yourself being bowled around/behind your legs. If any England player worked at it they can be successfull. I mean look at Hayden - for much of his career spin was his weakness, but he worked hard at it and look at his 2001 series in India as proof.

One thing I do have to mention is that great decision by Steve Bucknor not to give Pieterson out caught behind off Lee in the morning. At first I thought 'out' and certaintly a lesser experienced umpire probably would have given him out. Well done to Bucknor.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Craig said:
I noted what you said later on about Bel and Collingwood, but how do you rate Bell's performance? I think he is trying very hard to stay in and get runs, and perhaps that is affecting his natural game and that he isn't proactive enough in looking for quick singles to help ease the pressure on him. He batted well yeasterday but I can not work out what was going through his head to play that shot that got out.

As for sweeping, there is nothing wrong in playing it IMO ifyou what you are doing. I have read a cricket manuel by Imran Khan on the topic of sweeping he said to move your leg outside leg stump to prevent yourself being bowled around/behind your legs. If any England player worked at it they can be successfull. I mean look at Hayden - for much of his career spin was his weakness, but he worked hard at it and look at his 2001 series in India as proof.

One thing I do have to mention is that great decision by Steve Bucknor not to give Pieterson out caught behind off Lee in the morning. At first I thought 'out' and certaintly a lesser experienced umpire probably would have given him out. Well done to Bucknor.
I agree. I thought KP was a goner, but the replays confirmed that it was a very astute decision.

As a side-note, there is a lot less interest in this Test than the previous one on here? Is that because England were so poor in Brisbane, or is it a case of all you Aussies suffering from an acute case of whenthegoinggetstoughthecrimsrunawayitis ?? :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
As a side-note, there is a lot less interest in this Test than the previous one on here? Is that because England were so poor in Brisbane, or is it a case of all you Aussies suffering from an acute case of whenthegoinggetstoughthecrimsrunawayitis ?? :D
You mean like all the English fans did in the first test? :p

To be honest I haven't seen a major drop-off in activity. The last thread has a lot more posts, but a lot of the pre-series buildup was in there, and it also went for five days. There's not as much activity overall as the last Ashes series in the main threads, but it's in a subforum so I guess that's to be expected.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FaaipDeOiad said:
You mean like all the English fans did in the first test? :p

To be honest I haven't seen a major drop-off in activity. The last thread has a lot more posts, but a lot of the pre-series buildup was in there, and it also went for five days. There's not as much activity overall as the last Ashes series in the main threads, but it's in a subforum so I guess that's to be expected.
LOL yeah something like that. Just seems quieter, that's all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Laurrz said:
im gonna be so nervous tomorrow morning
As SL said, I think it'll be the most interesting day of the series so far. The first test was similarly balanced after 2 days, but Australia had slightly more runs and an extra wicket on a much friendlier pitch, and I never really felt that it was in the balance. This test does feel like it's in the balance though, given that England's score, while impressive, is far from untouchable. It'll be the first big test for the Australian batsmen since day 1 in Brisbane, and the outcome tomorrow will shape not only the result of this test but have a fair hand in the series too.

For those who are expecting a draw, a few notes. Only one of the last 15 Adelaide tests has been a draw, which was in 97/98 against South Africa, though there were six draws in a row before that. I guess this has something to do with the fact that it never really rains in Adelaide in summer. Since 2000 every test has had a result, despite the average first innings score being 445. In those tests, only one of the 13 first innings totals (including this test) has been under 400, when New Zealand were bowled out for 251 two years ago. In the last five tests, including this one, there have been five first innings scores above 500.

So, it could be a draw, but I think all three results are still possible. If Australia bat well tomorrow and are say 5 or 6 down for 350-400 at stumps, they could concievably have a good fourth day and set up a chase on the final afternoon, and obviously if England bowl well they could quite easily win the match.

Laurrz

International Debutant
it definately gives me memories of the last ashes series

how England get big totals.. and Aus are scrambling to get back in the match

not particularly good memories

Majin

International Debutant
I've been a fan of Collingwoods for a long, long time now, and this innings just re-affirms to me his quality. Very pleased for the man. :)

Nishant

International 12th Man
great performance by England. Really glad that they are getting back into this series. Suddenly, it feels like the ashes is alive agin, and it isn't just one sided. Getting a wicket right b4 the end of days play is quite crucial. Hope england win....not a supporter, but just think the aussies were gettin pretty damn ****y!!!!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, really good to see Colly do well. And it is nice to see Cook and Bell being moderately successful themselves. I admit that I never really rated Bell, but all I saw of him was the last Ashes and few innings in India. It looks as though he has improved quite a bit. Bad shot to get out though. You don't get out this way on such tracks. He had a 100 for the taking, I felt.

Anyways good to see England fight back in this series. But I still see Australia winning the Ashes. But I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised by England. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just watching the highlights now, Geraint's 1 wasn't too flash, was it? Pretty decent LBW shout from Clark turned down & then carves a wide, floated delivery to backward point.

Selected for his batting tho, obv. 8-)

Just thinking actually that if Tres's bottom lip hadn't gone all wobbly Collingwood would've been the man to miss out in all probability. His last two innings now have both been more than Tres has ever managed v Oz. Colly's not the most natural batsman, but he really knows his game, doesn't he? Plays within himself. I know SR Waugh is a fan & he's a fella whose opinion I respect.

pasag

RTDAS
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Funny seeing as you Poms were virtually non-existent in the first thread and have all of a sudden popped up as soon as you start doing well.

PY

International Coach
In all fairness, I couldn't get onto CW at all for three days of the first Test and I doubt many English folk think we're doing well in this Test, just better than the last Test.

Banter, got to love it. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jones up to the stumps for Hoggard in the last over of the day. Interesting. Nice to see slightly more proactive captaincy from Fred, even if it won't do the new-ball bowler's ego a power of good.

There was merest suggestion of some swing for Hoggy, I thought. Bought one back in to Punter, who clipped it down to fine leg for four.

simmy

International Regular
Brilliant by England. I stayed up all night. Ponting is the key now. He could get 250 here!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Id say Flintoff is the key, i rekon he is the only bowler who can get anything out of this pitch.