• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

Spark

Global Moderator
Ali is actually good down the order though. I don't think Vince is especially more likely to score runs at 5-8 than 3-4, but Moeen is.

I'd just leave it how it is. It's not a great batting lineup but shuffling it around isn't going to change that. If Vince is going to move from three he should probably move out of the side entirely.
Oh to be clear if I'm doing anything in that spot then Vince is dropped anyway

Spark

Global Moderator
Baylis says no personnel changes for Perth. Sums it all up really.

I know they bowled well in Adelaide but this attack will not work in Perth. We will get annihilated there unless we change personnel.

I'd fly Alex Hales in immediately for some aggression (and right handed) to open and start things off positively. We could also bring Buttler in as WK and move Bairstow to 3 or 4. We would still have a dangerous lower order (Buttler-Ali-Woakes) but we would give Bairstow the time to build an innings.

Can't believe we haven't got a quick bowler for Perth, beggars belief. Who are these fuddy duddy selectors?!
Maybe you don't have a quick bowler full stop? Can't just pick people off a template, cf 2013-14 where you picked three bowlers the size of a small mountain and they were poo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, probably. But I don't think moving Root to 3 is the best idea, but Vince looks a risk of 1 down = 2 down whenever he bats IMO, and even in this innings I do not feel particularly confident about Root starting against full, fast bowling with any movement. He's just too eager to drive early on before his feet are going, and is a risk on both edges, so I'd definitely shield him at 4 a bit.
Vince made 80 odd in Brisbane and no top order player from either side made more than 50 here. I’d persist with him tbh. Agree he look like nicking off a fair bit but I think it might be a tad early to write him off yet.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I don't see what it is in Moeen's game that solves the issue we have with Vince at 3. Really you want someone who can chew up balls and shield Root, Bairstow and the rest. If we clone Stoneman I'd use him there, even if he's hardly been spectacular.
Malan? Not a long term option but of the players we have in the squad. Can't imagine they will get rid of Vince after he made runs in the first Test though.

morgieb

Stoneman looked concerning in the most recent Test IMO. Impressed me at Brisbane though and it's not like the other options are anything special, barring possibly Hameed (who's out of touch Renshaw style)

Spark

Global Moderator
Vince made 80 odd in Brisbane and no top order player from either side made more than 50 here. I’d persist with him tbh. Agree he look like nicking off a fair bit but I think it might be a tad early to write him off yet.
Yeah I just think he's not very good, so that's probably colouring my view a bit.

flibbertyjibber

Maybe you don't have a quick bowler full stop? Can't just pick people off a template, cf 2013-14 where you picked three bowlers the size of a small mountain and they were poo.
Shows how desperate we are that Wood is being talked about. You know, that guy who couldn't get over 85mph last summer.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in the context of this tour its too early. When you look at his first stint in the side... well its fair to say he doesnt have much credit in the bank

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I mean really what you want is someone who scores runs, how they score them is immaterial.
Yeah, but we've been saying that for a fair few years now. Fact is we've managed to find one decent top 5 batsman out of however many newcomers (at least 12, you'd think) we've tried over the last six years. Our domestic game doesn't produce them because it's rotten; systematically designed to produce middle order biffers who haven't a clue how to play quick bowlers who are genuinely fast or spinners who can actually turn the ball. And for all the howls of anguish, it won't change because that would cut across the complacent self-interest that's at the heart of our domestic game.

I suppose the one good think to come out of today's white flag job is that it spares us a load of guff about some brave fightback if we'd got close to the target, which would have totally ignored how appalling we were for the first two and a half days, which was when the game was won and lost really.

Doubtless Bayliss will take the blame for the almost inevitable 5-0, and he may have made mistakes here and there over the years, but really it won't be his fault.

And I'm still struggling to name a worse England side in Australia. Even the 1950 team had Hutton and Bedser.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Baylis says no personnel changes for Perth. Sums it all up really.

I know they bowled well in Adelaide but this attack will not work in Perth. We will get annihilated there unless we change personnel.

I'd fly Alex Hales in immediately for some aggression (and right handed) to open and start things off positively. We could also bring Buttler in as WK and move Bairstow to 3 or 4. We would still have a dangerous lower order (Buttler-Ali-Woakes) but we would give Bairstow the time to build an innings.

Can't believe we haven't got a quick bowler for Perth, beggars belief. Who are these fuddy duddy selectors?!
Welcome, btw.

But I really don't know which genuinely quick bowler we could have picked.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When you think about it it's weird that the one batsman we did find who was a success is a contender to become our best middle order bat for decades, yet we haven't been able to find a single other player who can even hold a position down in the team for more than two series. What I'd give for another Ian Bell or Paul Collingwood.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well Collingwood is there. 1087 at 49.41 last season and he is there bowling in the nets to bastmen who haven't a clue.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Came into this thread expecting more discussion about the relative pay scales of county cricket players and Premier League players.

<leaves disappointed>

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep, and Starc came out and said: "Warne's retired, we already have a spinner"

And, typically of Warne, things have been a little frosty between them since haha
Why would Starc have said that when he hadn't debuted, and from memory wasn't around the side as a reserve either?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Stoneman
Cook
Sam Northeast
Root
Bairstow
Ali
Stokes (if available) or Woakes
Wood
Broad
Mason Crane
Anderson

There is the team to select if you want to put the Aussies to the sword.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Any chance Cook finds his mojo again? Don't get me wrong, I love seeing England crumble, but I don't mind Cook doing well, so long as they lose. Also good to see Anderson finally get some. It had me worried, but good to come here and read all the posters have so much faith in 200 odd being enough.

I don't think England need to change their team on the back of this test result. While they didn't bat all that well, take out Marsh, and Australia were quite dismal as well. Especially that 2nd innings. Now that the collapse is safely out of the way, things are looking good for the rest of the series.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Stoneman
Cook
Sam Northeast
Root
Bairstow
Ali
Stokes (if available) or Woakes
Wood
Broad
Mason Crane
Anderson

There is the team to select if you want to put the Aussies to the sword.
And if wishes were fishes we would all eat seafood :laugh: