• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
did this XI ever play

Nick Knight
Jason Gallian
Graeme Hick
Mark Ramprakash
John Crawley
Jack Russel +
Dominic Cork
Angus Fraser
Allan Mullally
Phil Tufnell
Devon Malcolm
Nah. In all the Tests Gallian played there was at least Atherton and Thorpe.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting. On the recent SA tour to England. All matches won were by the team batting first.

England results since 1 Jan 2013:
Batting 1st : P 33, W 18, L 8, D 7
Batting 2nd: P 29, W 7, L 17, D 5

Groundking

International Debutant
Well that was dog **** this morning, but unfortunately expected. You're never going to win games in Australia when you can't scoring 375+ with any consistency, but unfortunately our county championship is crap and the tallent is diluted far too much, there's too much cricket played, combined with the conditions we play in, so all our quicks end up 80mph trundlers, and we wonder why we don't produce quality batsmen. With what's available I'd **** about with our line up and have the following:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Vince
Bairstow
Moeen
Foakes
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

I'm sorry but it's a joke that Root isn't batting no.3 and our 3rd best bat it wasted at no.7, so put him up to 5, get him to focus on his batting 100% and get Foakes in who managed 680 runs at 42.50 last year, and has a score in the lions game. Dawid Malan has to go, averaging 25 after 12 innings batting at 5 is simply not good enough, especially considering he's 30.Vince is worth persisting with for a couple more games IMO considering he's still young(ish) and has at least shown he can get a big score down under, but he's the next to get binned again IMO.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root and Bairstow both have to be in the top 5, agreed. Bringing Foakes in would be a blessing.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Welp, didn't expect Sri Lanka to put up a better fifth day display than England, but here we are.

Gob

International Coach
Welp, didn't expect Sri Lanka to put up a better fifth day display than England, but here we are.
Which do you think is the better team?

Also Sri Lanka aren't facing a bowler who is as great as Mitch Starc

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Well that was dog **** this morning, but unfortunately expected. You're never going to win games in Australia when you can't scoring 375+ with any consistency, but unfortunately our county championship is crap and the tallent is diluted far too much, there's too much cricket played, combined with the conditions we play in, so all our quicks end up 80mph trundlers, and we wonder why we don't produce quality batsmen. With what's available I'd **** about with our line up and have the following:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Vince
Bairstow
Moeen
Foakes
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

I'm sorry but it's a joke that Root isn't batting no.3 and our 3rd best bat it wasted at no.7, so put him up to 5, get him to focus on his batting 100% and get Foakes in who managed 680 runs at 42.50 last year, and has a score in the lions game. Dawid Malan has to go, averaging 25 after 12 innings batting at 5 is simply not good enough, especially considering he's 30.Vince is worth persisting with for a couple more games IMO considering he's still young(ish) and has at least shown he can get a big score down under, but he's the next to get binned again IMO.
I don’t really have a problem with Root at four, if that’s where he’s most comfortable and in theory it gives him a bit of a break when he comes off the field then I don’t see it being a massive problem. Not sure we play Root out of his preferred position in order to protect whoever it may be, Vince in this case.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say it's the weakest English batting lineup that's toured Australia since 1982/83, and even they had the excuse of losing players to the rebel tour.

Their problems were summed up in a funny way by Malan's innings; he showed admirable fight but if you didn't know he was going by how much he struggled you'd think he was a No. 8 bat.
Yeah, I think 1982/83 is the comparable side. Similar in that it included a couple of big names who were past their best in Willis and Botham. That being said, Gower and Randall both played Ashes innings that most of these guys could only dream of. And Lamb had his moments in test cricket, even if not against Australia. Who else was there? From memory, Fowler, Cook, and Tavare? Not great.

And you're dead right about Malan of course.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Worse than late '90s with Butcher, Athers, Hussain, Thorpe, Ramps?
Most of whom played better Ashes innings than most of our current top 6 could come remotely close to. Not often, obviously, but from time to time. And against an even stronger Aus bowling line-up. Atherton the one exception, I suppose, as he was a walking wicket in these series.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I’d consider asking both Ramprakash and Collingwood to play.
We haven’t replaced Colly since he retired and had one of his best seasons in country cricket.

Would have seriously put him at 5 anyway. He’s still a better bat than Malan and Vince.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scratch that I'd actually consider bringing back KP

Imagine the headlines if he came back and actually scored runs

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Can someone explain then in a couple of fairly short sentences 1. Why we didn’t win this particular test. And 2. What we need to do to win the next one. If anyone can do that without going on and on via pages of blather I’d be very happy as I don’t want to plough through stuff like in the political threads...

the big bambino

International Captain
Whew; that got tense. I haven't read the thread for a while so I don't know if the selectors have been discussed. Turns out their most controversial decisions have been successful while there's a little doubt over the most straightforward one, Bancroft. I didn't mind the Paine selection but was dead set against Marsh. On reflection he has played well in night tests previously so there was some justification for picking him initially. So congrats to the selection panel as the team could not be better placed.

I think the Ch9 commentary team probably gets too much criticism. When they do analyse the game instead of trying to be comedians they are good. Chappelli and Warne picked part Handscomb's technique with the former saying his deep stance gives the bowler's greater margin for error while Warne noticed that he is vulnerable to the short ball aimed at his left shoulder. Michael Clarke gave his reasons for enforcing the follow on at Adelaide even if a team doesn't normally do so. It would be interesting to know Smith's reasons not to enforce the FO in the best bowling conditions but you'd guess it has a lot to do with his bowler's fitness history. I think Handscomb's poor form lets Maxwell into the team and that will be welcome for the extra bit of bowling relief it gives our 3 pacemen. For England Ballance for Malan which allows Bairstow to keep and stay down the order which are the conditions where he has performed best. I think they'll bring in Wood for Perth and omit Overton who nonetheless played well.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Bell is absolute **** now. You'd have expected his form to perk up with the drop back down to county level but it basically plummeted further.