• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was curious about England saying that the pitch tends to get better as the game goes on, because that's not really my memory of Trent Bridge. Turns out based on averages this past decades the worst times to bat are the 1st and 4th innings, and the 3rd has been a bit better than the 2nd.

This pitch is apparently green but dry, so might be similar here. Nice to have a pitch that consistently doesn't give too much of an advantage to the toss winner.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Can't have another 8 for 3, 12 for 4, 45 for 7 etc. batting performance. Huge 2 innings for Will Young and a half decent performance from Bracewell will book his ticket for the Pakistan tour.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Kane inspired us to win the WTC, while Latham captained us to terrible losses at home vs Bangladesh and SA. Madness
Yeah the home summer wasn't a ringing endorsement and as pointed out our batting capitulated in three of the last five tests Latham captained. Tbf to him Latham's usually dropped into the captaincy at short notice, just like here. This is his ninth test in charge, all since the start of 2020, which again shows just how much cricket KW has missed.

Latham's batting average while captain an unimpressive 33.75 despite the massive 252 vs Bangladesh.

Meridio

International Regular
It is an interesting point re. Kane captaincy, and something I'd thought for quite a while was that the load in him is huge - he captains basically every team he plays in while also batting at three. My thoughts were always the opposite though, he'd give up the white ball captaincy but carry on as test captain.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Can't have another 8 for 3, 12 for 4, 45 for 7 etc. batting performance. Huge 2 innings for Will Young and a half decent performance from Bracewell will book his ticket for the Pakistan tour.
I hope they're telling Young that they'll still consider him as a middle order batsman, and he should go out as opener here and play with nothing to lose.

He's good enough that if he somehow survives 15-20 overs he could make a big score.... but getting through that opening period will be tremendously difficult for him, likely require a lot of luck.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Kane inspired us to win the WTC, while Latham captained us to terrible losses at home vs Bangladesh and SA. Madness
Latham only averages over 33 vs Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe ... he actually average 9.8 vs South Africa from 7 tests! FML things are going even more wrong than I fear with the test team than I feared if he's made permanent captain.

Doull actually outraged me enough to log in to cricketweb again lol.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Don't know what to expect from M Bracewell - I'm sure his spin will do a job but more interested in the batting.
Well I don't think he'll bowl much based on our usual spinner usage, so if he's mainly there as a batsman then I'd have been much more interested to see how Tom Bruce would have done with his batting. But that would have made too much sense for our selectors, Bruce can't bowl (although his offbreaks average 34 in first class cricket vs Bracewell's 47) therefore can't be selected as a batsman.

ashley bach

International Captain
It's a foreign position for Conway to bat at 3.
That's great! opening last year was foreign too, should be a foreigner feeling at home.
Big shame about Kane, black caps really need to dig deep here, starting pronto.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well I don't think he'll bowl much based on our usual spinner usage, so if he's mainly there as a batsman then I'd have been much more interested to see how Tom Bruce would have done with his batting. But that would have made too much sense for our selectors, Bruce can't bowl (although his offbreaks average 34 in first class cricket vs Bracewell's 47) therefore can't be selected as a batsman.
And Tom Bruce averaged 143 last Plunket Shield season (2 100s and 4 50s), while Bracewell averaged 19 (1 50).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It's a foreign position for Conway to bat at 3.
That's great! opening last year was foreign too, should be a foreigner feeling at home.
Big shame about Kane, black caps really need to dig deep here, starting pronto.
He bats 3 for Wellington and batted 3 for NZ in Kane's absence vs Bangladesh and SA.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Although Henry does deserve (finally) a spot in the attack after his home performances and because it's the Duke, still feels pretty rotten for Wagner. Perhaps down on pace but also does a reasonable Boult impersonation nowadays. Possibly if we'd won the first test one of Southee/Boult/Jamieson might have 'had a niggle' and Wagner played.