• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Howsie

International Captain
The most ****ed thing about the incompetence of Stead and co is that he moved these two down a spot each after everything they have done this series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The most ****ed thing about the incompetence of Stead and co is that he moved these two down a spot each after everything they have done this series.
The one thing about Blundell is you haven't missed Watling as he couldn't have done any better. Guess he has to prove it long term though.

Top order has been a disaster.

Howsie

International Captain
The one thing about Blundell is you haven't missed Watling as he couldn't have done any better. Guess he has to prove it long term though.

Top order has been a disaster.
Yeah, I mean we all loved BJ but it’s was quite obvious during those last 12 months he was done at this level.

Blundell has played some excellent innings during his short career so far.He could be a level a live Watling if he’s that type of guy normally

thundaboult

International Debutant
This isn't true. He's been fit to play for ages, we just refuse to consider him after injuring him through our own mismanagement.

Fire Gary Stead, Shane Jurgensen and Gavin Larsen
Would absolutely love to see it. But I can't see Lockie choosing to play FC cricket now, too much money from T20 leagues.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
NZ surrendering positions of advantage has become quite the theme over this series. Guess the only question now is will they find any new and interesting ways of doing so for the remainder of the test, or will England shut the door on them once and for all?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
A great line from Ian Anderson writing for Stuff -

‘New Zealand may yet regret opting to use Michael Bracewell as their spin option when England start out in pursuit of their third consecutive successful fourth-innings chase.

Bracewell was woefully insignificant when the hosts raced to victory with five wickets to spare at Trent Bridge; his eight overs costing 60 runs.

Employing him at No 8 in the batting order for the third test appeared more conservative than the US Supreme Court.’

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I reckon the more defensive and gritty mindset required of an opener actually suited Conway. Had him playing straighter and knuckling down early doors, then making hay when well set. His technique seems to have loosened up, lots of inside edges, shots where the hand comes off the bat.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
It's probably been said already, but you aren't looking to win a game by picking 3 bowlers.

Might be a controversial take, but if you have an allrounder who couldn't make it in the team on batting or bowling alone, they shouldn't be there at all. I'd rather have a long tail and back the batting lineup to do their job than some half-assed stop-gap in the middle.

To be fair to Bracewell, I think he is a decent enough batsman, just not good enough to justify being there. The Leach/Bracewell bowling contrast has been pretty evident this game.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ah well here’s hoping Blundell and Mitchell can channel Daft Punk and do it one more time.

Conway I think is just getting worked out. That technique of his playing slightly outside the line of the ball is made for bowlers who take the ball across him. Doesn’t mean he’s bad now, but he’s got something he needs to work on.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I reckon the more defensive and gritty mindset required of an opener actually suited Conway. Had him playing straighter and knuckling down early doors, then making hay when well set. His technique seems to have loosened up, lots of inside edges, shots where the hand comes off the bat.
Agreed. Young goes too hard too early. Why did Conway stop opening in the first place? It was weird, it was like he did a good job, then he was replaced by another non-opener. I suppose an element of it is that Conway is regarded as valuable, so having him at 4 might be more beneficial where the new-ball factor isn't a thing.

Not that I think Conway opening would have worked at all given how he's been getting out this series.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I don't feel all doom and gloom about this series really though. I think we've had a lot of good moments, just we've let England off the hook when we were in the driving seat, whereas most of the time they are ahead they press the advantage. Slight change of fate and we could win this test or the last

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't feel all doom and gloom about this series really though. I think we've had a lot of good moments, just we've let England off the hook when we were in the driving seat, whereas most of the time they are ahead they press the advantage. Slight change of fate and we could win this test or the last
Don’t really agree. Both sides have been pretty bad in terms of getting into dominant positions and then letting the opposition off the hook. Has been an entertaining series between two flawed, relatively evenly matched sides where one’s just been consistently a bit better than the other. Given how New Zealand were playing a year ago that’s a pretty troubling state of affairs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Last two tests when we were setting a target and then England began chasing, I always believed NZ would break through and win up until it was completely clear we wouldn't. But at essentially 137/5 and completely reliant on the Mitchell/Blundell yet again I have to say this time I don't believe. One wicket in the morning and we will get rolled imo.

Bad middle order collapse, Nicholls sub par and agree with Bahnz that Conway is facing scrutiny and analysis of his technique that he never would've faced before (even if his mode of dismissal yesterday was not one of the identified weaknesses). Will be interesting watching him adapt over the next season.