• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
On the test match, surely England are not going to be chasing 250+ for the third time in a row. Yes they did get there comfortably the last two tests but surely they can't be doing this every test match. Probably not this time.

nzfan

If Bracewell wins this test with the bat and the ball, would you then change your mind about Gary?

nzfan

I'm not hopeful he will and honestly don't rate Bracewell in red ball but I'm happy to give benefit of doubt to Kane. There's no way Kane would have been a yes man and picked Bracewell for this test just because Gary insisted. You can understand Latham doing that like he did in Aussie dropping Southee and bringing Henry in. They are buddies but Kane I wouldn't think so. He has way too strong a standing for any coach to overrule him. If we drop this test match and Bracewell doesn't contribute much then surely it's got to be both Gary and Kane responsible. So is Latham.

Darryl Mitchell should then be named the captain :laugh:

nzfan

Foakes has covid and been replaced by Sam Billings it looks like. Why didn't they go for Jos Butler? Would have fitted this team perfectly

jcas0167

International Debutant
Foakes has covid and been replaced by Sam Billings it looks like. Why didn't they go for Jos Butler? Would have fitted this team perfectly
I think after the Ashes Butler won't be seen in test cricket again. Too unreliable with the gloves although his batting would certainly suit this side.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Wasn't he just in the Netherlands with the white ball squad? Not sure if the turnaround to this game works that well for him.

nzfan

I think after the Ashes Butler won't be seen in test cricket again. Too unreliable with the gloves although his batting would certainly suit this side.
With Baz at helm I really feel Butler will be back in the test side in no time.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bad luck for England to be forced into a COVID replacement mid-match, but if it had to happen, I guess the 'keeper who was already off the field with a back injury is the best possible outcome there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not that I want to complain too much, but during matches in this series England have been able to replace Leach for concussion (Parkinson) and Foakes for covid (Billings), but we've had 2 key injuries (CDG and Jamieson) we couldn't replace.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not that I want to complain too much, but during matches in this series England have been able to replace Leach for concussion (Parkinson) and Foakes for covid (Billings), but we've had 2 key injuries (CDG and Jamieson) we couldn't replace.
I heard this being discussed on TMS a couple of weeks ago. You are probably aware that there are specific rules about covid and concussion replacements, and I think the logic is that replacements for other injuries could be open to abuse. But you're right that NZ have been dreadfully unlucky to lose two players in the middle of matches.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I heard this being discussed on TMS a couple of weeks ago. You are probably aware that there are specific rules about covid and concussion replacements, and I think the logic is that replacements for other injuries could be open to abuse. But you're right that NZ have been dreadfully unlucky to lose two players in the middle of matches.
Yes I understand the rules and the logic behind them. I guess we've been a bit unlucky with that, but we still should've played much better. NZ looks to have wilted psychologically whenever England has attacked them.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t see why. If they’re worried about players faking injuries (which I think is ridiculous, what player is going to willingly jeopardise their career like that?) just make it a requirement that the teams get an independent medical professional to certify that the player is unable to participate in the rest of the match. The general success of concussion/covid replacements has shown that there are workable options for allowing injury substitutes, and I think it’s about time that this be extended to more general injury/illness.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t see why. If they’re worried about players faking injuries (which I think is ridiculous, what player is going to willingly jeopardise their career like that?) just make it a requirement that the teams get an independent medical professional to certify that the player is unable to participate in the rest of the match. The general success of concussion/covid replacements has shown that there are workable options for allowing injury substitutes, and I think it’s about time that this be extended to more general injury/illness.
I wouldn't disagree with this. By definition, the replacement shouldn't be as good as the original choice anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Covid will surely drop off as a reason eventually. Allowing for other injuries probably would change the dynamics of how captains use their fast bowlers and allow one to come on fresh when another has been run into the ground. That’s my theory anyway.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Anyway, 3 England keepers in one innings. Didn't that happen against NZ in 1986?
They just mentioned that. Four in total! Bill Athey took over briefly from Bruce French while 45 year old Bob Taylor got kitted. Taylor was there entertaining guests in a sponsors tent. Then a local keeper took over from Taylor the next day.

They called in Hampshire's Bobby Parks to take over, and when I spotted him on the balcony a few overs before lunch I came off. Later he told me he'd been to an all-night party in Southampton the night before, and hadn't got to sleep until 6am that morning. He played all right, though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Potts has been very good this series. I know England produce a lot of that right arm medium pace seam-up style of bowler, who often don't do well away from home, but I think he attacks the crease better than someone like Chris Woakes and very capable of just dotting up over after over too.