• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I really do rate Handscomb but his technical flaw is just as serious as Khawaja's. Both on notice for mine, and would probably drop one.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did anyone see what Handscomb's dismissals when playing for Yorkshire were like? An average of 34 doesn't indicate desperate struggle and you'd think there might be some bowlers who can bring it back into him there (although county highlights perhaps show otherwise). It's a weakness that's stuck out very obviously since I first saw him play.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did anyone see what Handscomb's dismissals when playing for Yorkshire were like? An average of 34 doesn't indicate desperate struggle and you'd think there might be some bowlers who can bring it back into him there (although county highlights perhaps show otherwise). It's a weakness that's stuck out very obviously since I first saw him play.
An average of 34 in county cricket, for an international batsman is pretty dire

Back in the 90s, early 2000s nearly every county had an Aussie who averaged 60 or 70+

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow bitterly disappointing........after being competitive for 2 1/2 days the magnitude of this defeat is very hard to stomach.

I said before the test that if we get smashed in Brisbane that 5-0 is very much on the cards and I think that still stands. Even if we'd lost this test if we'd have nipped out a few wickets in the 4th innings there would have been something to take away from it..........as it is 173/0 is just demoralising.

Well played Aussies............you utter utter ****s.

Edit:

And I really hope that Ben Stokes is sitting at home feeling like he's let his whole country down.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Stokes and TRJ would have made this much more competitive. But instead you have Woakes and Ball. What a downgrade.

Burgey

If he rejoins the touring party, will him and Bairstow’s greeting each other just lead to them both being ruled out injured?

OverratedSanity

Woakes has been seriously disappointing in the last few months. He looked so good in the 2016 summer but since his return he's been thoroughly mediocre.

Starfighter

An average of 34 in county cricket, for an international batsman is pretty dire
It's not good, but it's not dire. His overall first class average has only ever been around 40.

Back in the 90s, early 2000s nearly every county had an Aussie who averaged 60 or 70+
A quick examination of county averages determined that to be somewhat of an exaggeration, although there were some notable seasons there, more in div 2.

Spark

Global Moderator
Woakes has been seriously disappointing in the last few months. He looked so good in the 2016 summer but since his return he's been thoroughly mediocre.
He does need a fair bit going his way to dominate IMO. Not the sort of bowler who you'd bank to do well consistently in all conditions if he wasn't in top form.

vcs

Quite reminiscent of Australia's win in Melbourne last time around. Lower order collapse for England while setting a target in the 2nd innings, and a complete 4th innings stroll for Australia.

Zinzan

Played Australia. Too much class towards the end, after being pretty even for 3 days.

The Smith innings in context was huge.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Cheer up English fans. Things to take away from this test;

Root getting his 100 would probably have allowed Warner to get his hundred. Excellent Troll.

It's just one thing, but, hey.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Remember the heady days of 2016 when Woakes was a better bowler than Philander, one of the best all rounders in the game and an automatic pick in a World eleven? :laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
Congratulations to the Aussies, a resounding victory when you look at the result and when they had a sniff of a chance to take control of the Test they did after three and a half days where any hint of dominance in the game was constantly shifting between the sides.

Steve Smith obviously showed the importance of going on, getting a big score and handing the initiative to your side. I'll never enjoy watching him bat, but this guy knows to stack up runs and his record speaks for itself.

The worries before the tour for England remain very real, do we have the bowlers to be effective enough to take 20 wickets ? That remains a worry. We did see that Vince, Stoneman and Malan are capable of making contributions and they all batted very well in the first innings, can they make the kind of runs we need in order to win Test matches ? I'm not too concerned about Cook or Root, it was a shame Root couldn't go on in the second dig but he's a class act. As for Cook, the usual overreaction about him being finished and technically all over the show all seem a little premature, he'll get his feet and his balance going and will weigh in with some big scores while the series is still live.

Adelaide becomes a huge game, it's probably going to represent our best chance of a victory, our bowlers should be more threatening with a bit of movement around and we really can't afford to go 2-0 down.

Last edited:

Starfighter

As for Cook, the usual overreaction about him being finished and technically all over the show all seem a little permature, he'll get his feet and his balance going and will weigh in with some big scores while the series is still live.
He didn't exactly weigh in with big scores in '13, 13/14 or '15. And his highest two were made in matches England lost.

Woodster

International Captain
He didn't exactly weigh in with big scores in '13, 13/14 or '15. And his highest two were made in matches England lost.
However you dissect Cook's figures in Australia, he's a top class batsman that averages over 46 in Oz, yes he had that fantastic series 10/11, but he was equally below par in 13/14, he scores runs generally anywhere, like anyone he has good series and bad ones but I expect he'll come to the party in this series.

adub

International Captain
However you dissect Cook's figures in Australia, he's a top class batsman that averages over 46 in Oz, yes he had that fantastic series 10/11, but he was equally below par in 13/14, he scores runs generally anywhere, like anyone he has good series and bad ones but I expect he'll come to the party in this series.
Ha. He's a spud who's had one good series against us when our bowling was all time ****.

Cook's series averages against Australia
06/07 - 27.60
09 - 24.66
10/11 - 127.66
13 - 27.70
13/14 - 24.60
15 - 36.66

He'll average in the 20s against us just like he usually does.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's more that he always seem to have the same mediocre series every time other than 10/11, with very little variation. It's pretty easy to predict how his series will go: lots of nicks behind, a few terrible shots, a few ground-out fifties which promise much but don't quite deliver.