• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he did well against Pakistan last year. Questionable whether they still constitute a quality pace attack though, Amir has been disappointing since his return and Shah is their main threat. Riaz bowls a couple of good spells every year.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think he did well against Pakistan last year. Questionable whether they still constitute a quality pace attack though, Amir has been disappointing since his return and Shah is their main threat. Riaz bowls a couple of good spells every year.
Yeah, I definitely don't count them as a quality pace attack, especially since their MO is to use their quicks as support bowlers. I know Amir and Wahab change that in theory but they aren't that good tbh, or at least consistently good.

vcs

His performances against NZ in the last two series in England should definitely count though, NZ have generally bowled pretty well on both tours and Boult is quality in those conditions.

Daemon

41 and 47 in two series v SA are the only ones.

He failed against Amir/Asif when they toured England. Can't think of any other quality pace attacks besides that, SA and Australia during his career.

Were Boult/Southee bowling well when he did well against them? That should count if they were.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
41 and 47 in two series v SA are the only ones.

He failed against Amir/Asif when they toured England. Can't think of any other quality pace attacks besides that, SA and Australia during his career.

Were Boult/Southee bowling well when he did well against them? That should count if they were.
They count as a good pace attack, but definitely not better than the current Aus attack IMO. It's kind of hard to rate them, because they were pretty good for the two years previous to that series, then pretty dire for a year after it, conceding about a million runs to the combined might of Adam Voges and Joe Burns. They were okay in patches for that series IIRC.

Woodster

International Captain
He really hasn't though, unless you describe the NZ pace attack as "the best".

Look through it yourself: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Standouts are 16 Tests against Australia and 8 against South Africa, averaging sub-30 (!!!).

I don't quite agree with social's pronouncement that he's always been basically poor against quality fast bowling (I think pre-2012 he showed it in patches) but I certainly see where it comes from.
So only runs against Australia (not allowing the series where he scored over 700 runs obviously) and South Africa count, he still has six tons against those sides, but I’m pretty sure he has played against other good attacks in more testing conditions and come through with runs.

Woodster

International Captain
Opening the batting in English conditions can make the most innocuous attacks comparable to Wasim and Waqar, statistics really don’t tell the whole story.

I don’t doubt he’s had his struggles, technically he can be all over the show at times and has been exposed. He should have no right to score the amount of runs he has, but mentally he’s so strong. So despite his shortcomings I still back him to get a few runs when it matters in this series, imho.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He really hasn't though, unless you describe the NZ pace attack as "the best".

Look through it yourself: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Standouts are 16 Tests against Australia and 8 against South Africa, averaging sub-30 (!!!).

I don't quite agree with social's pronouncement that he's always been basically poor against quality fast bowling (I think pre-2012 he showed it in patches) but I certainly see where it comes from.
How many batsmen, particularly openers, do have a good record against quality pace though?

This isn't necessarily offering a defence for Cook, I agree with the basic premise that he actually hasn't been all that good against good quality pace attacks.

His biggest strength has been away against spin, which took about 10 years for anyone to really notice.

Woodster

International Captain
How many batsmen, particularly openers, do have a good record against quality pace though?

This isn't necessarily offering a defence for Cook, I agree with the basic premise that he actually hasn't been all that good against good quality pace attacks.

His biggest strength has been away against spin, which took about 10 years for anyone to really notice.
I’ve not specified pace or spin attacks, my argument is that he has scored runs against some of the best attacks, but it seems only SA and Australia count, so can’t include his runs in India either it seems.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
His stats are sort of weird. I do not recognise any discernible pattern there except he was at his peak about 2010-12, averaging about 55 I believe. Cook has these big lengthy dips in form but then after a year of prodding and wafting off of off-stump then produces a Goochy 200 plus which keeps his average well in the mid 40s and (momentarily) removes the discussions about his form.

Then the cycle repeats itself...

It is his entire career really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I’ve not specified pace or spin attacks, my argument is that he has scored runs against some of the best attacks, but it seems only SA and Australia count, so can’t include his runs in India either it seems.
Well if you're talking best attacks then Australia and South Africa are the gold standard when it comes to pace attacks.

Pretty sure Cook didn't have as good a series in India last time out compared with 2012. And in Indian conditions, Ashwin and Jadeja now >>> whoever played in 2012.

Woodster

International Captain
Well if you're talking best attacks then Australia and South Africa are the gold standard when it comes to pace attacks.

Pretty sure Cook didn't have as good a series in India last time out compared with 2012. And in Indian conditions, Ashwin and Jadeja now >>> whoever played in 2012.
Haha, oh I see so that series he did well in India against Ashwin, Ojha and Zaheer doesn’t count either, course it doesn’t.

adub

International Captain
Good for you sticking up for your man Woody.

But no one in Australia fears Cook. They might fear us bowling like park crickets thus allowing him to score big. But if we bowl anything like what we should be Cook will guts out a 50 or two to get his average into the 20s for the series at best. Other than that Vince and probably Root are going to get plenty of practice facing a shiny Kookaburra.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cool just doesn't look hungry this series. He's had a very indifferent attitude from everything I've seen, almost like he's stopped caring.

Woodster

International Captain
Good for you sticking up for your man Woody.

But no one in Australia fears Cook. They might fear us bowling like park crickets thus allowing him to score big. But if we bowl anything like what we should be Cook will guts out a 50 or two to get his average into the 20s for the series at best. Other than that Vince and probably Root are going to get plenty of practice facing a shiny Kookaburra.
Haha, thanks Adub!

I think the truth is somewhere in between my possible overrating of Cook and those that think he couldn’t get off a globe against a team that sticks it in the right areas consistently.

Time will tell in this series I guess!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reading Agger's article in the BBC and it's good to see I'm not the only one who felt that Cummins was in breach of law 41.6 when bowling to Ball at the end the England's second innings.

I probably would have no-balled both the delivery before and the wicket delivery, but I ain't the umpire.

the big bambino

International Captain
What law is that?

As far as the selectors are concerned their decisions went ok. I think Paine redeemed himself with his work on the 4th day. I was at the ground with a few mates and it was a great day's cricket. You don't normally get to see a match still in the balance on the 4th day and have it essentially resolved by its end. Anyway Paine kept well and was pivotal to getting 2 wickets that set up Australia's victory. Consider him a success.

At best Marsh can't be counted a failure on this match alone. But I feel he's a brewing failure and his selection in the side puts too much workload on our 4 main bowlers.