• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haha, oh I see so that series he did well in India against Ashwin, Ojha and Zaheer doesn’t count either, course it doesn’t.
I am the biggest Ashwin fan but he was bowling like **** in that series. His stock ball wasn't as good as it is now back then and he was an easier bowler to deal with. Ojha, meh, but Zak was good though he had **** support.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He really hasn't though, unless you describe the NZ pace attack as "the best".

Look through it yourself: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Standouts are 16 Tests against Australia and 8 against South Africa, averaging sub-30 (!!!).

I don't quite agree with social's pronouncement that he's always been basically poor against quality fast bowling (I think pre-2012 he showed it in patches) but I certainly see where it comes from.
Tbf, I have never said that Cook is "basically poor against quality fast bowling."

What I have always claimed is represented by my last post on the matter

"For a top class opener, he really isn't an exceptional player of quick bowling"

That's very different to saying that he's downright poor

FTR, I rate him as a superb player of spin and basically anything of higher pace where the bowler doesn't consistently hit the correct spot

In terms of this series, a guy like Starc will have to bowl consistently well at him to cause trouble or else Cook will be patient and pick him off no matter how fast he bowls

On the evidence presented so far, Cummins is a different beast in that he never lets up and I really do question whether Cook will enjoy consistent success against him but he wont be alone in that boat

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am the biggest Ashwin fan but he was bowling like **** in that series. His stock ball wasn't as good as it is now back then and he was an easier bowler to deal with. Ojha, meh, but Zak was good though he had **** support.
Zaheer was done after 2011, pretty much.

But England were too good for us in that series and Cook led from the front. Quite impressive how they bounced back from losing the first match in a formulaic "India bats first and grinds down opposition at home" manner. Their fightback basically started with the 2nd innings of that match.

Cow

Banned
England had the better spin attack in that series.

And Anderson bowled beautifully (without any clouds).

KP also scored the greatest hundred by a visiting batsmen the people of India have ever witnessed. I believe some Indian scholars were even tempted to rewrite the ramayana to include mentions of his hundred (this needs to be fact checked).

Woodster

International Captain
Haha, ok we’ll rule that off Cook’s list aswell!

Cow

Banned
Wrong comparison to make. Bancroft would have been drinking weak Australian beer. I presume something as bad as Carlton dry or Coopers Green. Stokes would have been on the G&T's, jagerbombs and tequilas.

Everyone seems to be forgetting stokes is the hero in this tale. He was defending two innocent young practicing homosexuals from a torrent of homophobic abuse on the streets of Bristol. Who knows what would have been happened if he had not been there? I think it's safe to assume those young men would have been beaten to a pulp, but instead the vicious bullies got punished for their bigotry.

Yet the media and cricketweb posters attack him? Why I ask? Is it because you have to chase him? Because he's the hero cricket deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so you'll hunt him. Because he can take it, because he's not a hero, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Ginger Knight.

the big bambino

International Captain
Wrong comparison to make. Bancroft would have been drinking weak Australian beer. I presume something as bad as Carlton dry or Coopers Green. Stokes would have been on the G&T's, jagerbombs and tequilas.

Everyone seems to be forgetting stokes is the hero in this tale. He was defending two innocent young practicing homosexuals from a torrent of homophobic abuse on the streets of Bristol. Who knows what would have been happened if he had not been there? I think it's safe to assume those young men would have been beaten to a pulp, but instead the vicious bullies got punished for their bigotry.

Yet the media and cricketweb posters attack him? Why I ask? Is it because you have to chase him? Because he's the hero cricket deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so you'll hunt him. Because he can take it, because he's not a hero, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Ginger Knight.
Nah he’s just a ****. He only punched that bloke out because he’s bigger and stronger. Nothing noble about it. Typical coward’s metric.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In this country you can be defending yourself against a knife wielding burglar but if you hurt him/her you can still be in trouble for using excessive force.

Son Of Coco

If Warner struggles during the series, I wonder if he'll blame being distracted by the songs about his family and use it as some kind of escape goat

Seriously though, I like the Barmy Army but I'm not a fan of bringing player's families into things like this
I can't wait to see Warner riding out of the ground on a goat fleeing the media that are hounding him over his recent failures. He'll probably beef it up with 24 inch hooves and a blown out exhaust system.

Gnske

Everyone seems to be forgetting stokes is the hero in this tale. He was defending two innocent young practicing homosexuals.
There's no evidence they were having the old s**k and f**k on the night

Cow

Banned
There's no evidence they were having the old s**k and f**k on the night
I fail to see how old socks and forks come into the discussion.

In my experience, the gay community are usually pretty snappy dressers, and therefore I think we can assume both men were wearing new pairs of socks.

In terms of cutlery, in England restaurants supply the cutlery so customers do not have to bring their own with them. The same custom is used in inner-city Melbourne, where Australia's best and brightest tend to roam.