• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next teams to gain Test status

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Kenya has to be the next team to get Test Status. Whether this should be at the expense of Zim (if Zim cant settle their current impasse) - may be . Kenyans need to also stop fighting among themselves and re-organise their first class cricket structure to have a proper competitive first class comp that can feed quality players to the National Team.

However I do have some concerns as to the quality of the next lot of Kenyan cricketers when their current aging players like Tikolos, Odumbes (already banned) etc. are gone.

Unfortunately for the Kenyans they have had to fight their battle to get Test Status harder than the Bangladeshis, who were handed their Test status on a plate, quite prematurely IMO.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't see what is so rocking about Bangladesh's FC competition... I remember Mr Chapple being quite appaled at the standard he saw, after they had been given test status!

Surely Kenya must be being a bit hard done by, I guess they must be on the wrong continent

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Really none of them are good enough. I would hope that the Bangladesh situation may have taught the ICC that no one else should be promoted to test matches for a long time yet. Even Zimbabwe have fallen into a huge hole and would be lucky to get back to playing tests.

For the one dayers you could still monitor the next tier of teams during the world cup. Kenya's form should have warranted them a go in ODIs. then if they perform well they can get promoted to test cricket. I would imagine that teams at the level below that are Holland, Canada, Scotland and Namibia.

For the other teams like the USA and China they need to show more before they can even be discussed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wales, anyone?

They already have first-class cricket there! I remember ages ago Tony Lewis (at least I think it was him) saying the reason Wales no longer competed as a separate nation in the WC qualifying tournament was that they didn't want to endanger Glamorgan's future as a FC county. Now, with the European Union employment laws being what they are, the ECB certainly couldn't exclude them without contravening some restraint of trade rule or other.

They compete (well, play!) as a separate entity in Football, Union & League. Why not cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why all the talk of more Test-nations when what we need is less?
There are presently eight sides capable of playing Test-cricket, several of them sometimes not very well (Sri Lanka away, West Indies, Pakistan).
It is bad enough that we have to think-up gimmicks like Rest-Of stuff.
When sides are considered for elevaton to Full International status, they first need to have a team placed in a nearby domestic competition. Then we can get an idea of their strength.
For instance, we can see very clearly that to play Scotland as a regular international side would be wholly stupid at present, as they are clearly nowhere near as good as any of the English domestic teams. Until they can dominate National League Division One they should not even be considered for ODIs, let alone Tests. Had a similar thing been done with Bangladesh in the Quaid-e-Azam or Duleepsinhji competitions we might never have had this farce that is presently their playing ODIs and Tests regularly.
The time when you can just jollily elevate West Indies, India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka to Test-status without much preparation is gone. We can now present a proper test, and wait until they have passed it to elevate.
Any prospective international nation must first be tested in a domestic competition, and not be considered until they dominate it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Cuz England would lose Wharfey!
Not to mention Croftey and the rest...
The Board is The England And Wales Cricket Board and that, IMO, is right - England and Wales are a plural entity and should stay that way with regards cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Not to mention Croftey and the rest...
The Board is The England And Wales Cricket Board and that, IMO, is right - England and Wales are a plural entity and should stay that way with regards cricket.
Any Welsh cricket fans out there? How English do you feel?!??! :D

More pertinently: would you welcome the chance to support the principality?

Timewell

U19 Debutant
I'd like two tier Test cricket, makes it more interesting, in my opinion and gives the teams something to fight for...avoiding "relegation" for instance.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
We've had many disscusions about that point on Cricket Web Timewell.

Neil and anyone else. In other threads someone mensioned Tazzie looking for independance thus I mesioned them.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tasmania just isn't going to happen.

Two tiers won't work because relegation will destroy the relegated nations' national interests.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Why all the talk of more Test-nations when what we need is less?
There are presently eight sides capable of playing Test-cricket, several of them sometimes not very well (Sri Lanka away, West Indies, Pakistan).
It is bad enough that we have to think-up gimmicks like Rest-Of stuff.
When sides are considered for elevaton to Full International status, they first need to have a team placed in a nearby domestic competition. Then we can get an idea of their strength.
For instance, we can see very clearly that to play Scotland as a regular international side would be wholly stupid at present, as they are clearly nowhere near as good as any of the English domestic teams. Until they can dominate National League Division One they should not even be considered for ODIs, let alone Tests. Had a similar thing been done with Bangladesh in the Quaid-e-Azam or Duleepsinhji competitions we might never have had this farce that is presently their playing ODIs and Tests regularly.
The time when you can just jollily elevate West Indies, India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka to Test-status without much preparation is gone. We can now present a proper test, and wait until they have passed it to elevate.
Any prospective international nation must first be tested in a domestic competition, and not be considered until they dominate it.
word

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
Yes, if cricket becomes an olympic sport then investment/interest in it will rise.
That would happen in my most countries and is a good way of promoting it.

If the Italian Cricket Board want a way to promote cricket, go and talk to Christian Vieri, Vieri has said he is a cricket fan and would give away football to play cricket for a similar amount of money (however, nobody could remotely afford to give him the sort of money Moratti gives him each week), so there would be a start IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Any Welsh cricket fans out there? How English do you feel?!??! :D

More pertinently: would you welcome the chance to support the principality?
I'm Welsh and I'm a cricket fan.
My Grandad has been a Glamorgan member for 58 years.
The Board was renamed the England And Wales Cricket Board for a reason.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Better spinner than laker dont you know :D :p
Now where on Earth did I say that?
And no, I haven't changed my opinion that Laker would be made to look every bit as ordinary as people have the mistaken impression that Croft has been were he to play around about now.