• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next teams to gain Test status

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If Zimbabwe get their Test status back next year (the withdrawal only lasts till the end of the year) then we will be back up to our full quota of 10 Test match teams. Assuming that Kenya are the next team to be given Test status (they are already better than Bangladesh at ODIs according to the rankings, it's just their domestic infrastructure preventing it apparently), who will be the next two or three teams after that?

Malcolm Speed, the ICC chief executive, says he reckons China (yes, China) could be playing ODIs regularly within 10 years, and Tests within 20 years - also the USA is somewhere the ICC want to move towards Test cricket within 10-20 years, although they say lack of funds in the States is an issue.

It would be interesting to see these two countries, plus others, playing Test cricket, because it would eliminate the "everybody-beats-Zimbabwe-and-Bangladesh-then-Zimbabwe-beat-Bangladesh" factor in Test cricket that seems to exist at the moment. It would almost create two tiers of Test cricket.

I'm not sure which other countries, apart from China and the USA, could sustain Test cricket - anyone know where else cricket is popular?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
IMO You should have to beat the bottom 3 in the Cricket Web rankings(possibly 2) to get in and then you're in. Nepal, Namibia, USA are all possibilitys, someone said Tazmania in another thread. Any of those really.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Do you mean Tasmania or Tanzania? 'Cause Tasmania's only a state in Australia, although it is an island off the coast, whereas Tanzania is a big country in Africa, although I wasn't aware they played cricket - could be either, I'm confused.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Scotland have wanted it for some time, and it wouldnt shock me to see them be the next team after Kenya.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think Kenyan cricket has been managed well enough to harbour International cricket. Their glory days seem to be well and truly over for a long while at least..

I would like to see Namibia and Nepal making strides towards the big time.. Although not for 10 years at least...

China havent even sustained ICC trophy cricket, so I don't see why people are jumping to conclusions...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
China are pumping government money in its direction... you've seen what they've done with every other sport imaginable at Athens. Cricket, it seems, is next.

And yes, it's Tanzania (formed by the union of Tanganyika and the island of Zanzibar in the 60s/70s... 1968 I think) on the East Coast of Africa, and I believe they constituted part of the East and Central Africa side at the 1975 World Cup.

And the second tier is basically (approximated order): Kenya, Namibia, Holland, USA, Ireland, Canada, Scotland, Nepal, Uganda and Denmark.

Last edited:

Waughney

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
China are pumping government money in its direction... you've seen what they've done with every other sport imaginable at Athens. Cricket, it seems, is next.
Yes, if cricket becomes an olympic sport then investment/interest in it will rise.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If cricket goes to the Olympics, it will probably be Twenty20 I think, which will get the crowds in big style, especially if it is in London in 2012.

I'm all in favour of Twenty20 at the Olympics, because England, as it stands, have a headstart on everyone else!

Ireland beat the Windies earlier this year, which proves that some of the smaller countries are not as far away from the Test-playing nations as one might think.

Although, saying that, putting the USA up against the world's two best one-day teams in the Champions Trophy seems a tad unfair, no?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I find it hard to believe all this talk about China...

What have they done, at all??? Fair enough if they have the money to pump in, but seriously they are about as random as someone like Azerbaijan when it comes to cricketing prowess...

I look forward to millions being pumped in, and them getting klapped in jo'burg....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I find it hard to believe all this talk about China...

What have they done, at all??? Fair enough if they have the money to pump in, but seriously they are about as random as someone like Azerbaijan when it comes to cricketing prowess...

I look forward to millions being pumped in, and them getting klapped in jo'burg....
They've done nothing at all as yet, they only attained affiliate status this year.

Watch and wait and see...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I'm all in favour of Twenty20 at the Olympics, because England, as it stands, have a headstart on everyone else!
Hmmm...true, except England don't compete at the olympics, Great Britain do :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
They've done nothing at all as yet, they only attained affiliate status this year.

Watch and wait and see...
Interesting... The first cricketing nation "started from scratch" so to speak.. Without any British/Colonial influence whatsoever?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There are a shedload of affiliate members which weren't former Empire/Commonwealth nations - most started by ex-pats, however. So yes, it's quite possibly one of the first non-colonially-infulenced cricket boards.

Damn, that was ambiguous.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
no one deserves test stataus as of now. n if zimbabwe is not given bak their status, n ICC needs to cover up then probably kenya shd come into the picture. these teams r just 2 poor n so is bangladesh

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
a10khan said:
no one deserves test stataus as of now. n if zimbabwe is not given bak their status, n ICC needs to cover up then probably kenya shd come into the picture. these teams r just 2 poor n so is bangladesh

I highly doubt Kenya will get test status anytime soon. They've just been thrashed in 3 days by India A by an innings and 200 odd runs.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Namibia should get more high profile cricket... I feel they (and holland) deserve more input than Kenya (who seem to squander everything at their disposal with internal conflict)..

At least put the most resources into countries who have their "houses in order" so to speak...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i would say Kenya too , even though like rich said they do have a lot of internal conflicts and other huge political and corruption problems, they are probably the ideal next in line for test status.. i doubt they would get one anywhere soon though