• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next teams to gain Test status

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the samller countires need to play the Australias, maybe Aus A, but they really need more games aganist each other, BAN and ZIM. You can only improve by playing regular competitive cricket.

This is one from left field but if Tamil Eelam get indepence then we will probably be the next Test Playing nation, or more correctly the next competitive Test Playing nation

Deja moo

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
This is one from left field but if Tamil Eelam get indepence then we will probably be the next Test Playing nation, or more correctly the next competitive Test Playing nation
Who do they have other than Murali ?

Even given that they get independence, I see a West Indies like situation..both fielding a joint team.

hindsy

Cricket Spectator
I dont think that its such a bad things for countries like BAN or ZIM to play one off tests here and there against the top test nations, because when you play against higher standard players, you tend to raise your game a little at a time. Also with these sorts of countries over time they will start getting better and better players, so eventually they will go from sub-standard teams to top tier teams.. with regards to countries like China and the U.S.A IMO it is a good things for these sotrs of countries to become involved, because look at their populations.. If these guys got into cricket like say India did, the game would just grow so big, and one day might become a truly world played sport like soccer for instance.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Deja moo said:

Even given that they get independence, I see a West Indies like situation..both fielding a joint team.

They have definitely others who are capable of doing better than the current Zimbos or Kenya !!

But this is all hypothetical !! Even if they did become a separate country , they would still have to go through the process like other countries to get Test status ,with Murali or not !!

I have no doubt they will get Test status pretty quickly, with help from our friends across the Palk Straight training our cricketers !! :) :)

And I am not sure if Murali would even be part of this Team, even if he were made Captain !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think the samller countires need to play the Australias, maybe Aus A, but they really need more games aganist each other, BAN and ZIM. You can only improve by playing regular competitive cricket.

You know as well as I do, Mate, they would still need to work their way to get Test status !!.
But our neighbours across the Palk Straight will no doubt give us a helping hand by training our cricketers etc..

But this is pretty hypothetical !! :D :D

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:

Well a Tamil side made up of just Tamil Australian Grade Cricketers would give Zim and Ban a run for their money. Add to that guys playing cricket at a high level in Sri Lanka (not FC but below), India, England etc, we would come with a good sqaud.

I can't us playing with Sri Lanka as they haven't given too many oppurtunities to Tamil players in Sri Lanka apart from Murali. So cus of that it is most likely that we would try and form our side if we ever get indepence. It would more like Crotia and Serbia in football, they would probably never play together again, unforuntely.

Last edited:

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
there will be many more test nations in the future.

The world is beginning to globalise. More people will become aware of the game which is easy to play at beginners level and as sports as a whole is likely to grow in many countries cricket should be able to take advantage of that. Many countries do not even have a summer game.

Besides the US I would expect other new countries to come from between africa and India.
Afghanistan and Nepal are places where it could be number one even if thats not required. Kenya and the rest of africa is potential growth territory.. Cricket fits the climate and unlike other sports, their top players will play more than just ocassionally in their country as the game is focused on international at the highest level.

The future should be bright.

I am only worried about which version of the game will be played.

Tests are too long but the one-day game is not a good enough game to spread in my opinion. I am hoping a 2-day weekend game of one innings with no over-limit can be developed

Josh

International Regular
Nepal had a decent Under 19's side. What about Holland?? They've been playing ODI's for about 20 years now.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Josh said:
Nepal had a decent Under 19's side. What about Holland?? They've been playing ODI's for about 20 years now.

Let's not forget they beat Australia in a 1st class game in 1985 after the ashes win!

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Dizzy #4 said:
Let's not forget they beat Australia in a 1st class game in 1985 after the ashes win!
And they beat West Indies in an ODI game..
maybe they'll become fairly decent especially in ODIs around Kenyas standard or something.. but test cricket in 15 years?? I doubt it mate