• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You guys are negative, man. I watch things like the Baz 302*, think back to how we saved that Test against all odds, watch footage that shows Southee was padded up to come in next, and feel nothing but lucky that we've got to experience that.

Flem274*

123/5
it's that time again

Cricket: Ryder makes case for recall - Sport - NZ Herald News

Jesse Ryder's desire to play international cricket saw him approach senior Black Caps and management recently asking for another chance.

The probability of him representing New Zealand again appear minimal, with few willing to unlock the door without significant guarantees the 31-year-old's behavioural problems - several of which have involved excessive alcohol consumption - are a thing of the past.

The prospect of the all-rounder returning has been raised in the wake of Brendon McCullum's retirement. The Herald on Sunday understands he wanted to check if there was scope for a reprieve.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I get really fuzzy reception on talkback radio. There was some discussion I couldn't quite make out about Taylor maybe getting another run as Captain in some type of caretaker capacity for 12 months or so, but then the conversation changed as apparently some callers didn't want him since he is "jaded" and there was a hard press for a young buck like Nicholls to be given the reigns. Then I couldn't hear anymore. No doubt that caller suggesting Nicholls got rebuffed by ones to follow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If he's shelved the booze, trains and prepares professionally and doesn't miss games due to being involved in drunken brawls then as long as he's scoringruns is there a reason Ryder shouldn't play again?

Athlai

Not Terrible
If he's shelved the booze, trains and prepares professionally and doesn't miss games due to being involved in drunken brawls then as long as he's scoringruns is there a reason Ryder shouldn't play again?
Has he shelved the booze? Pretty sure he never stopped drinking.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's never been a period in his life where he ticked any of these boxes. He is probably an alcoholic.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One day someone will write a warts and all biography of Ryder and it will be a bloody good read.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's never been a period in his life where he ticked any of these boxes. He is probably an alcoholic.
It's probably partially that, but I think a big part is he just has an enormous ego and genuinely thinks he's too good to really need to comply with the rules. The media constantly salivating over him doesn't help in that regard.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
He's a ticking timebomb if he was ever to come back. How long would be last, and when would he go off the rails - mid World Cup? It'd be a heck of a risk.

It's probably partially that, but I think a big part is he just has an enormous ego and genuinely thinks he's too good to really need to comply with the rules. The media constantly salivating over him doesn't help in that regard.
Given some of his behaviour over the years, it's hard to disagree with that.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Has he shelved the booze? Pretty sure he never stopped drinking.
He didn't. The odd news article might've told you so, but nah.

Jesse Ryder has used up all his chances. When you've got an environment that is now free of dickheads and better off for it, said dickhead better be scoring 100s every innings at a strike rate of 2 every ball if he wants to come back. And he's going okay but he's not hitting it any better than George Worker is, or any one else in form.