• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
I wouldn't write him off entirely. I suspect he now has the end of his cricketing career in sight, realises he is no longer a hot commodity for random clubs around the world and is scared ****less.

Might actually lead to him finally pulling his head in.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect Hesson walked away from the coffee meeting shaking his head after Jesse requested for the barista to ''Irish up'' his long black.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But if he did come good, then it would be Hollywood movie material if he took us to glory in a big moment like a world cup final.

If they made a movie for Stephen Donald they would make one for Jesse. Perhaps they could also include the drama of Ross-Gate in there as well.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't write him off entirely. I suspect he now has the end of his cricketing career in sight, realises he is no longer a hot commodity for random clubs around the world and is scared ****less.

Might actually lead to him finally pulling his head in.
don't do it athlai. you're only athlies-ing to yourself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Does he learn from his mistakes. I remember after the last fiasco where he was the 12th man and went out drinking the night before the test (was that what happened?) he reckoned that he had mitigating circumstances which made it ok for him to drink. Something about he was flying off to England the next day and wouldn't actually really be the 12th man. Does someone remember this better than what I do?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Vent: Jesse Ryder is a changed man - Sport - NZ Herald News

A teammate of Ryder told Tony Veitch that Ryder has "changed his attitude completely", Veitch revealed on The Vent today.

The unnamed player told Veitch: "Yes, he wants to play for the Black Caps more than anything in his life. He's not had a drink for 18 months."

"He has a great partner who has helped him work on his troubled past and like I said he's off the booze. I was never a huge fan of Jesse Ryder until I got to know him personally and now he's a top bloke and I've noticed he's changed his attitude completely."

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Does he learn from his mistakes. I remember after the last fiasco where he was the 12th man and went out drinking the night before the test (was that what happened?) he reckoned that he had mitigating circumstances which made it ok for him to drink. Something about he was flying off to England the next day and wouldn't actually really be the 12th man. Does someone remember this better than what I do?
Yeah was 12th man for the 2014 Eden Park test v India. Was out drinking till about 1 a.m. on the basis that he was heading off to a Plunket Shield game the next morning anyway. It's rubbish of course - if one of the batsmen had pulled a hamstring in the morning warm-ups, he would've been first call - and then there was the fact that Ross Taylor's wife was 9 months pregnant at the time, so he easily could've been called away at the 11th hour.

Ryder's refusal to accept that he did anything wrong in this incident was the tipping point for me, I've been against his recall ever since. Maybe he's changed his tune now and accepts that this sort of **** is unacceptable, but it's too late for me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah was 12th man for the 2014 Eden Park test v India. Was out drinking till about 1 a.m. on the basis that he was heading off to a Plunket Shield game the next morning anyway. It's rubbish of course - if one of the batsmen had pulled a hamstring in the morning warm-ups, he would've been first call - and then there was the fact that Ross Taylor's wife was 9 months pregnant at the time, so he easily could've been called away at the 11th hour.

Ryder's refusal to accept that he did anything wrong in this incident was the tipping point for me, I've been against his recall ever since. Maybe he's changed his tune now and accepts that this sort of **** is unacceptable, but it's too late for me.
I remember people defending Jesse for that too, on this board. Incomprehensible.

And it is too late. That 18 months no drinking thing is absolute horse ****.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

Me too. I'd always backed him and wanted him back in the side until then as well, but with the amount of chances he'd been given, that was moronic beyond words.

If he's so desperate to be playing for NZ again then I don't understand why he isn't playing first class cricket?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Counties usually advise new ball bowlers like Ryder or James Fuller to be feeling good and refreshed before the April start.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but is Jamie Porter going to be taking any tenfers like Ryder did? Ryder thinks he can take him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Great memory. Great post. And good conclusions.

Some people don't learn from their mistakes and always blame others and their circumstances. Sometimes it is difficult to pin point what you did wrong to deserve criticism from a boss at a performance review but if you think long enough and hard about it you can find something to agree about that you should have done differently. I am waffling. Yes Jesse doesn't appear to learn is all I wanted to say. I think NZ cricket should not be in a rush to bring him back.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
didn't he nearly die from a drunken barfight? thats enough for me to at least garner sympathy for the man and accept that maybe he's willing to change. unless he kept mucking up after that

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
didn't he nearly die from a drunken barfight? thats enough for me to at least garner sympathy for the man and accept that maybe he's willing to change. unless he kept mucking up after that
The incident where he was left in a coma was in March 2013 - almost a year before he boozed the night before the India test. So...