• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New/uncommon statistics you'd like to see brought into cricket

chasingthedon

International Regular
There are some stats (Help please from one of our stats people is this kurtosis) that talk about the degree of skewness to a distribution of data. So that would be interesting to a batsman's scores. All scores should be skewed to the right with a bunch of scores below 20 and then less scores after that. But some batsman might score more consistently in the 30s and 40s - while others might oscillate between scoring 5 and 85. A skewness indicator would show this.
In my piece on medians I also looked at the skew of top batsmen - of those I looked at, Sandham had the highest skew at 3.46 (325, 152, 58....), then Gayle and Jayasuriya. Bradman for comparison is at 1.05. Lowest by far was Ernest Tyldesley at 0.39 (20 innings, nine over 50, highest 122).

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure the McGrath pitch map would only look like it had one dot on it. And Johnson's would have every inch of the cut strip covered (and then some).
and Trevor Chappell would have one continuous line from end to end.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to see 'bowler to batsman' statistics TBH...

For example, how many deliveries did Larwood bowl to Bradman, and how many runs Bradman made off Larwood's bowling (of course we know how many times Larwood dismissed him, so omitting that).

Similarly, Tendulkar vs Muralitharan, Lara vs McGrath, Richards vs Indian spin trio, Lara vs Wasim, Miandad vs 10 best pace bowlers of his time - I'm intrigued to know these, and quite a few more too, if possible.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

For example, how many deliveries did Larwood bowl to Bradman, and how many runs Bradman made off Larwood's bowling (of course we know how many times Larwood dismissed him, so omitting that).

Similarly, Tendulkar vs Muralitharan, Lara vs McGrath, Richards vs Indian spin trio, Lara vs Wasim, Miandad vs 10 best pace bowlers of his time - I'm intrigued to know these, and quite a few more too, if possible.
Could make really intricate standardised averages with those. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Could make really intricate standardised averages with those. :p
Yeah I'm sure you can, and threads like 'best players of spin' or 'best players of pace' or 'did this guy struggle against quality pace bowlers' will contain more to-the-point and realistic discussions than romanticizing about two or three memorable innings.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I'm sure you can, and threads like 'best players of spin' or 'best players of pace' or 'did this guy struggle against quality pace bowlers' will contain more to-the-point and realistic discussions than romanticizing about two or three memorable innings.
Yeah in fact we could stop having a forum at all and just feed a series of numbers into a machine and let it draw all conclusions for us.

I don't hate stats, but come on...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would be interested to see more of the breakdowns, like we have been seeing for Swann, of bowling averages vs LHB / RHB.

shankar

International Debutant

While that stat would be interesting, it would be misleading. A batsman plays against a bowling attack not against any particular bowler on his own. A good batsman should play out a better bowler if the rest of the bowlers are easier to score off. A bowler to batsman average in such a case would give the wrong impression.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

1. Percentage of balls scored from

This would be a massive indication of how fluent the player is, and be able to differentiate between 'boundary hitters' and players who can regularly rotate the strike and never get bogged down.

It would be a useful tool, especially in limited overs cricket, for coaches and captains to have at their disposal when working out dynamic batting orders. If a player is flogging boundaries all over the ground, and he loses his partner, it's always better to bring in a player who can feed that boundary hitter the strike. You would have a rating system of your most fluent batsmen (players with a higher %) and promote if necessary. Obviously conversely you could choose to send in a boundary hitter if there's a 'rotator established'.

I think if you could create an offshoot of this stat, by combining the strike rate and % of balls faced, it would prove to be a very handy tool.
Nasser just referenced something like this stat when discussing Kieswetter. "25 off 24 at Durham looks ok, but 14 of those balls were dots..."

Where Murphy leads...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to think he properly acknowledged benchy's eloquent formulation of the idea, but I suspect you're going to tell me he didn't

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain

There is such a stat, actually have been for a few years now. Just go on cricinfo statguru, search the batsman (bowler), then select batting (bowling) format - bowler summary (batsmen dismissed)

Example n.1: Bradman

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Bradman averaged 77 against Larwood (in games where ball-by-ball is available, I suspect). Interesting that nobody who's dismissed him more than twice, did so at an average lower than 50 (best one is Bedser, 6 times at 54)

Example n.2: McGrath

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

If you have enough spare time on your hands you can answer all of those questions.