• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name A Cricketer (Ex or Current) You Can't Bear To Watch or Hear

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir on Hindi commentary went up in my estimation TBH. Gambhir, Parthiv Patel, Irfan Pathan and RP Singh were all quite good.

Laxman, Ganguly and Chopra were poor.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Michael Clarke
Michael Holding
Michael Slater
Michel Vaughan

But strangely ok with...

Michael Atherton
Michael Hussey
Michael Whitney

Daemon

Tendulkar
Clarke
KP
Laxman (VVS and Siva both)
Jayasuriya - hands down the worst I’ve ever heard

BSM

U19 Cricketer
This might be unpopular but Sunil Gavaskar. There's been multiple occasions (I think back to the SA vs India test when they went off for a supposedly dangerous pitch) where he has just come off as really whiny and of the mindset that things are sort of unfairly up against his team. He's sort of the closest embodiment of those annoying nationalistic indian cricket twitter accounts. Obviously I've used hyperbole here, but imagine if India replaced NZ in that final and his reaction to the other throws. Definitely wouldn't have kept his composure like Smith. Then again, I'm still in awe that Smith managed to do so.

vcs

Gavaskar is a well known BCCI/India cheerleader. He does offer the occasional interesting insight on batting technique though. You can also count on him describing someone as a "streetsmart cricketer" and moaning about some batsman "plonking their bat over the crease" every time he commentates.

Burgey

I meant to post in the WC subbie at the time but forgot........Ian Smith's commentary at the end of the final was absolutely superb.

He was the perfect guy for such a ridiculous tense situation, it was a real credit to him that he remained objective even though he was nearly wetting himself with excitement.
Yeh, I’ve never really been a fan of Smith but he was absolutely fantastic. Was nowhere near OTT in cheerleading when he basically had every right to be. One of the best commentary stints I’ve seen/ heard since Benaud at Edgbaston in 05

This might be unpopular but Sunil Gavaskar. There's been multiple occasions (I think back to the SA vs India test when they went off for a supposedly dangerous pitch) where he has just come off as really whiny and of the mindset that things are sort of unfairly up against his team. He's sort of the closest embodiment of those annoying nationalistic indian cricket twitter accounts. Obviously I've used hyperbole here, but imagine if India replaced NZ in that final and his reaction to the other throws. Definitely wouldn't have kept his composure like Smith. Then again, I'm still in awe that Smith managed to do so.
Gavaskar is genuinely awful as a commentator and person. Reckon you’ve summed him up perfectly tbh.

Daemon

imagine if India replaced NZ in that final and his reaction to the other throws.
Oh man I can totally picture this.

He'd be doing his horrible cringe Caribbean accent (basically him just adding "mon" to the end of any sentence) when the overthrows happened and he'd just completely lose his **** and start to throw words like "farce" and "disgrace" around. Kohli would be arguing with the umpire and he'd be crawling all up inside his arsehole saying the behaviour is justified.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mick Vaughan turned into a massive curmudgeon (read: wanker) the instant he retired. Disappointing as I had a lot of time for him as a skipper.

Healy is clearly a tool, the worst kind of pernickety, grudging cheerleader who somehow manages to make what sounds like one's dream job (being paid to watch & opine on cricket) like a massive ballache.

&, whilst he talks a lot of sense generally, I've never been able to quite get onside with Tubby Taylor's clipped, high-pitched take on the Ocker accent. It sounds as if he's trying to strangle the Australian out of his voice.

thierry henry

International Coach
Just wanna comment on 3

Clarke - not that bad at all and I just think people are fundamentally opposed to the bloke and not his commentary. Doesn't even really seem biased and at least has a positive attitude.

Pietersen - Seriously I think the bloke is mentally ill and it's unbelievable seeing low IQ narcissistic sociopathy being passed off as absolute madlad bants?

Ian Smith - terrible commentator miles passed his used-by date, consistently embarrassing attempts at patriotic "banter", has no idea about the game anymore, is massively biased, and yet....seems to have become regarded as a cool-headed commentary doyen???? wtf happened there?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Gambhir on Hindi commentary went up in my estimation TBH. Gambhir, Parthiv Patel, Irfan Pathan and RP Singh were all quite good.

Laxman, Ganguly and Chopra were poor.
Gambhir's got a stick up his ass and is a needless contrarian, same as VVS. Don't tune in to the Hindi comms because they're all too colloquial/latter day Channel 9/"Bhai wah! yeh hui na baat!" for my tastes.

I would listen to Dravid if he ever cared to do comm, but I hope he never does. Everybody else from India sucks. Gavaskar used to be very good and erudite, but this is back in the Prime Sports/early Star days when Brian Langley was still around. I understand he was always a bit of a prick but even his public persona has undergone a massive change over the last twenty years. Don't know if it is early dotage or if he just gave up on keeping the pretense.

Tbh, I have developed a dislike for every voice (outside of the England lot) on cricket telly now. I like it when Steve Waugh and Allan Border do the occasional guest turn but that's it.

Last edited:

vcs

No, I thought they were much more gracious and knowledgeable about non-Indian players than I expected them to be. It wasn't all "aur yeh shandaar chowka!" type stuff either. There was some decent insight as well. Even Gambhir was able to bring himself to praise some Pakistani players. :laugh: Laxman is poor because he's just not a native Hindi speaker, as is Ganguly.

Maybe I'm just bored of the usual English crew and genuinely enjoyed listening to decent commentary in Hindi so I'm overrating it.