• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali The Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Which of the following options do you think is the most appropriate rank for Murali

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
Primary skills
Murali>Sachin=Imran

Secondry skill
Imran>>>Sachin>Murali

Extra facets (Fielding,Leadership, influence on country' cricket,role model)
Imran=Sachin>Murali

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Muralitharan>Tendulkar>Imran for me. Tendulkar still has a chance of overtaking Murali in my book.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Primary skills
Murali>Sachin=Imran

Secondry skill
Imran>>>Sachin>Murali

Extra facets (Fielding,Leadership, influence on country' cricket,role model)
Imran=Sachin>Murali
Problem is what was their secondary skill. For Imran it is Batting, for Sachin it's bowling and for Murali it was fielding.

Murali was a better fielder than Imran being a batsman or a Sachin being a bowler. Absolutely electric in the field and was as good as Dilshan.

smash84

The Tiger King
Problem is what was their secondary skill. For Imran it is Batting, for Sachin it's bowling and for Murali it was fielding.

Murali was a better fielder than Imran being a batsman or a Sachin being a bowler. Absolutely electric in the field and was as good as Dilshan.
yeah I don't remember Murali being one of the best fielders. He was decent but nothing great. Also his throws were not that good from what I recall.

Also the importance of fielding as a secondary skill <<<<< batting or bowling as a secondary skill

He says he thinks Gavaskar is the best batsman of all time and you ask him about Wasim??
sunil gavaskar facts
1. most successful batsman in d era of greatest bowlers
2.his presence raised his team to the next level (sunny made india big in cricket, sachin made cricket big in india) - only hadlee matched sunny in this aspect (and headly ?)
3.ultimate technician
4.restricted to play according to team needs
5.dominated pace bowlers without having prior experiences in junior/first class levels
6.record of records
7.huge pressure and responsibility
8. nick names - modern bradman , little master , run machine
9.disliked by aussies palyers/fans
10.unbelievable records for a player from a weak team

wasim akram
1.wasim's bowling is the best thing ever happened in cricket. his talent can not be explained in words (stats shows only 50% of his ability)
2.he was capable of doing anything at any point of time.(thats what matters, when u pick a guy, criteria should be " what he can do" than "what he did")
3.i prayed more , when a sachin in form facing akram than a struggling sachin facing donald , ambrose or mcgrath.
4.look at akram's body language , attitude , movements.. he knows he is a genius, superior to everybody. its evident in his every movement. an emperor gentle and kind.
5.most versatile

stats is based on many factors.. luck, team support, situations , form ..etc etc
akram can not be scaled with his stats. pure class. genius. master..

smash84

The Tiger King
sunil gavaskar facts
1. most successful batsman in d era of greatest bowlers
2.his presence raised his team to the next level (sunny made india big in cricket, sachin made cricket big in india) - only hadlee matched sunny in this aspect (and headly ?)
3.ultimate technician
4.restricted to play according to team needs
5.dominated pace bowlers without having prior experiences in junior/first class levels
6.record of records
7.huge pressure and responsibility
8. nick names - modern bradman , little master , run machine
9.disliked by aussies palyers/fans
10.unbelievable records for a player from a weak team

wasim akram
1.wasim's bowling is the best thing ever happened in cricket. his talent can not be explained in words (stats shows only 50% of his ability)
2.he was capable of doing anything at any point of time.(thats what matters, when u pick a guy, criteria should be " what he can do" than "what he did")
3.i prayed more , when a sachin in form facing akram than a struggling sachin facing donald , ambrose or mcgrath.
4.look at akram's body language , attitude , movements.. he knows he is a genius, superior to everybody. its evident in his every movement. an emperor gentle and kind.
5.most versatile

stats is based on many factors.. luck, team support, situations , form ..etc etc
akram can not be scaled with his stats. pure class. genius. master..
Number 9 in Sunny's virtues takes the cake :lol:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Gavaskar was not part of a weak side India 70's and 80's > India 90's.

They won away to NZl, Eng, Wi drew in Aus at home they are always strong.This does not sound like a weak side to me.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Due to the sheer weight of his bowling performances, Murali just wins it by the tiniest margin for mine.
On a different day of the week, it could be Imran, who perhaps is the greatest advertisement for cricket ever to emerge out of Asia.

As cricketers, I'd have Murali (very marginally) > Imran > Kapil Dev.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Murali was as good a fielder as Dilshan then I never watched cricket probably...
yeah I don't remember Murali being one of the best fielders. He was decent but nothing great. Also his throws were not that good from what I recall.

Also the importance of fielding as a secondary skill <<<<< batting or bowling as a secondary skill
you guys seem to have missed out on a LOT of cricket in the 90s.. Murali was, for a time, the best fielder in the Sri Lankan side. I won't say he was as good as Dilshan but he was as good as Jayasuriya and that is something back then...

Xuhaib

International Coach
How is that the case? :wacko:
don't underestimate Sachin's impact on Indian cricket he alone kept the masses in the game during the 90's when Kapil and Gavaskar retired. Once the economy boomed and the side improved in the 00's the corporate's started pouring money in to the game and the face of Indian(world) cricket changed forever.Without Sachin one really wonders whether masses would have retained their strong interest in cricket which may not have led to the boom in 00's.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
don't underestimate Sachin's impact on Indian cricket he alone kept the masses in the game during the 90's when Kapil and Gavaskar retired. Once the economy boomed and the side improved in the 00's the corporate's started pouring money in to the game and the face of Indian(world) cricket changed forever.Without Sachin one really wonders whether masses would have retained their strong interest in cricket which may not have led to the boom in 00's.
Good points and well made. That fact that he was the only truly great batsmen in 90s (with mediocrity all-around) made him a cult-like figure in the team. And as an extension, in the nation. But that was all there was to him, I feel - an exceptional talent to bat.

His captaincy record isn't out of the ordinary. He never batted for his colleagues in front of the board or take initiative in a manner befitting a sports icon with national appeal. One could have felt that a huge sporting icon would have imposed himself on the game much more.

Imran, the way I see it, was in a clearly different league. As a captain, he held the reins and took decisions which changed the future of Pak cricket. The induction of neutral umpires was a gigantic (and much needed) leap for world cricket. Had a superb eye for talent and he could absorb young guys in his wings and mentor them. To me, his impact is much greater.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
One reason I love CW is that it's only here you'd see a Pakistani bigging up Tendulkar while an Indian disagrees and argues Imran has had greater influence on the game :)

It's also the right time to make a pertinent observation - the fact that there are hardly any India - Pak verbal warfare taking place here shows that members from the 2 nations are certainly not bringing the forum down ;)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One reason I love CW is that it's only here you'd see a Pakistani bigging up Tendulkar while an Indian disagrees and argues Imran has had greater influence on the game :)

It's also the right time to make a pertinent observation - the fact that there are hardly any India - Pak verbal warfare taking place here shows that members from the 2 nations are certainly not bringing the forum down ;)
jeez man.. don jinx it.. :)

It is all because smileyshah is a girl, tbh.. Got too many flirts here among the Indian contingent.. :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
Good points and well made. That fact that he was the only truly great batsmen in 90s (with mediocrity all-around) made him a cult-like figure in the team. And as an extension, in the nation. But that was all there was to him, I feel - an exceptional talent to bat.

His captaincy record isn't out of the ordinary. He never batted for his colleagues in front of the board or take initiative in a manner befitting a sports icon with national appeal. One could have felt that a huge sporting icon would have imposed himself on the game much more.

Imran, the way I see it, was in a clearly different league. As a captain, he held the reins and took decisions which changed the future of Pak cricket. The induction of neutral umpires was a gigantic (and much needed) leap for world cricket. Had a superb eye for talent and he could absorb young guys in his wings and mentor them. To me, his impact is much greater.
Yeah I am not discounting Imran's role infact I feel Pakistan cricket may never revive since i doubt we will produce another Imran style individual whose impact was way beyond just the playing field.

Sachin is different to Imran but his impact imo is comparable ICC has more or less treated him as their unoffical face over the past few years the meetings with Federer,Schumacher attanding sports awards. Given that he's an excellent player controversy free and an allround good family man makes him a great role model and give Cricket a positive image he is possible the only cricketer apart from Bradman who will not look out of place standing with Pele,Mohammad Ali and Michal Jordan.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach

India-Pakistan verbal wars takes place everywhere by the key board warriors atleast we are providing a niche to those who are sick and tired off them and want to bring some alternative opinions.