• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit fuzzy on the details at the time, haven’t read up on him much recently but surely Bradman and Jackson would’ve had massive hype.

Wasn’t Kohli already like a top ODI batsman before he played tests? Or am I misremembering?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Rohit Sharma was hyped a lot before his supposed debut match in 2010. It didn't happen at that time.

There was also decent hype around Rashid Khan's debut in 2018 against India considering his exploits in T20s prior to that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think talking about players who already made a mark at the international level in another format is a bit against the spirit of the OP though. There are so so many players who were hyped up huge even before they played any internationals.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I would go with Prithvi Shaw then. Even Kambli played ODIs a year before his test debut else he would have been an automatic pick.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit fuzzy on the details at the time, haven’t read up on him much recently but surely Bradman and Jackson would’ve had massive hype.

Wasn’t Kohli already like a top ODI batsman before he played tests? Or am I misremembering?
Interested as to why Bradman would have had massive hype - was he a child prodigy runs-wise as well, or had significant FC numbers?

Howsie

International Captain
In terms of cricket in this country it would definitely be Williamson. He was getting hype as a 13-14 year old which never happens in New Zealand. He was called into the test squad for the 2nd and final test against Australia in 2010 when he was 19, after two years of domination in domestic cricket. Was soooooooooo much talk about whether he should play or not.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Interested as to why Bradman would have had massive hype - was he a child prodigy runs-wise as well, or had significant FC numbers?
Yes to both, though iirc his first season in the shield (27-28) he “only” averaged ~45. In his second season (28-29) directly prior to his test dbeut he had this start.

In the first match of the Sheffield Shield season, he scored a century in each innings against Queensland. He followed this with scores of 87 and 132 not out against the England touring team, and was rewarded with selection for the first Test, to be played at Brisbane.