• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

Flem274*

123/5
reading this thread im thinking it's hard to compare the offline, old school media driven hype with the current online, fan driven hype.

if conway moved to nz in 1991 and dominated his first season of odis in 1994, no one would care because not many would watch in an era where there was less exposure in general. likewise media coverage of the 90s english batsmen mentioned would be drowned out in 2021 because none of us really listen to the major cricket outlets as much as we once did. even cricinfo is kinda looked at as a bit trashy now. today hype is driven by reddit, facebook and places like here, so graeme hick and mike atherton would have been getting pushed by our english posters first imo.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Easily Hick. His hype was something out here in Australia. Each year as he got closer to eligibility there would be new features on him and a report as he racked up each century. He was written about with a tone of fear as if he might be a Bradman...but for the Poms!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Lol @ deliberately annoying. Lara was called The Prince by everyone in the cricketing circle, so I assumed you were talking about him.
I'm pretty sure you did it last time and someone (probably morgie) told you to who it referred, so "deliberately annoying" seemed warranted. It was a CW meme for quite a while, until his passing I guess. But you knew that, you just wanted to do your little dance ?

**** me, that is genuinely atrocious. Can't believe someone would say that with a straight face.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm pretty sure you did it last time and someone (probably morgie) told you to who it referred, so "deliberately annoying" seemed warranted. It was a CW meme for quite a while, until his passing I guess. But you knew that, you just wanted to do your little dance ?
You can believe in any lies that help you, mate. But Lara is the only one who has been called The Prince across the cricketing world. And he was obviously known to be a special player even before debut. No one cares about country only nick names coz otherwise The Prince is Ganguly too.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HB's Lara love is clear as day to anyone not being an obtuse prick looking for a scandal but I suppose that's where the issue lies.