• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There was a lot of hype before the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, and Pietersen debuted. Likewise I expect the hype and interest to increase for Conway.

Who were some of the other players who created excitement before their debuts?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Archer to some extent. Pretty sure he's the only England player to have won a world cup before his test debut.

Some would argue the ECB even changed their own eligibility criteria to allow an earlier call to the colours in the first place than would otherwise have been the case.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hick definitely. Pietersen not so much until after his ODI debut. A lot of the pundits and commentators were surprised when he came out firing against South Africa in the ODI series. David Gower was certainly earmarked for great things from the age of 18 and a lot of "experts" at the time wanted him picked sooner.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
VRV Singh in India. A lot was said about his ability to regularly touch 145k, at that time we didn't have too many fast bowling resource, VRV had an ankle/toe injury as soon as he was picked in the team, and things only went downhill from there.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Privthi Shaw. David Warner.

I expect there will be a lot of hype when James Faulkner finally makes his dayboo

Flem274*

123/5
There was a lot of hype before the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, and Pietersen debuted. Likewise I expect the hype and interest to increase for Conway.

Who were some of the other players who created excitement before their debuts?
kane williamson had a long thread before his test debut. virat kohli had plenty of hype too.

we have to get conways residency sorted before we go on tour. he's a lock for #3 in the first test while kane is at the ipl.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Archer to some extent. Pretty sure he's the only England player to have won a world cup before his test debut.

Some would argue the ECB even changed their own eligibility criteria to allow an earlier call to the colours in the first place than would otherwise have been the case.
Archer was the first I thought of.

Since Pietersen had a ton of hype playing for Notts and then backed it up with starting his England career with a rocket, there's been hype about anyone playing well while 'waiting to be eligible'. I remember Craig Keiswetter getting a lot of second hand hype from the effect.

Hick maybe an early example of this too.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phil Hughes, from my lifetime

It's hard to imagine all time it could be anyone other than Graeme Hick though. Debuted with an FC average of what, 70? With 50+ tons to his name

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Jason Roy also made his Test debut after the 2019 World Cup final. Morgan won the World Twenty20 just before his Test debut; don't know if either of them was particularly hyped (there was a fair amount of expectation around Morgan).

In the 80s, Atherton ("Future England Captain") was probably hyped more than Ramprakash.

In 1997 Ben Hollioake was hyped as being the one who was going to save English cricket.

Looking at other countries: Tendulkar was massively hyped.
Going back a bit: Ian Craig was called the "new Bradman" when he scored a double hundred aged 17. Norman O'Neill was similarly hyped a couple of years later (though at least he had a decent Test career, especially early on).

I vaguely remember a fair amount of hype around Darryl Cullinan when he scored a lot of runs in his teens, though at the time SA weren't playing Tests, so it might have been a "lost to Test cricket" angle.

trundler

I vaguely remember a fair amount of hype around Darryl Cullinan when he scored a lot of runs in his teens, though at the time SA weren't playing Tests, so it might have been a "lost to Test cricket" angle
I think he had broken Graeme Pollock's record for the highest FC score by a South African and so was seen as his successor

trundler

Ponting must've had a lot of hype given they had to modify the rules of age group cricket because of him

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jason Roy. Not that there was much hype. It was more that he was worth a try because all other openers are pants.
Jason Roy also made his Test debut after the 2019 World Cup final. Morgan won the World Twenty20 just before his Test debut; don't know if either of them was particularly hyped (there was a fair amount of expectation around Morgan).

In the 80s, Atherton ("Future England Captain") was probably hyped more than Ramprakash.
Fair play. I've obviously subconsciously blocked Master Roy's brief test dalliance from my memory for mental wellbeing purposes.

I'd honestly forgotten Eoin played in the T20 WC win though.

The knock with Athers being called "FEC" is that it actually stood for "Effing Educated C-word" though, didn't it?!