• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Of course I did and of course, I forgot. Like I said, no one cares about country only nick names.
I mean that's fine, but I didn't lie about anything. Lara was called the Prince and that's obvious. But I'm allowed to use a little nickname a few of us used for one of my favourite players affectionately. Not sure what's wrong with that, really. Doesn't really hurt anyone, does it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean that's fine, but I didn't lie about anything. Lara was called the Prince and that's obvious. But I'm allowed to use a little nickname a few of us used for one of my favourite players affectionately. Not sure what's wrong with that, really. Doesn't really hurt anyone, does it?
It did not. You were the one who responded needlessly aggressively to a genuine question. I am fine if he is called The Prince in this forum. Not like we fight about nicknames here or anything, is it? :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Easily Hick. His hype was something out here in Australia. Each year as he got closer to eligibility there would be new features on him and a report as he racked up each century. He was written about with a tone of fear as if he might be a Bradman...but for the Poms!
It might be a case of wisdom after the event, but I'm pretty sure I've heard/read a few Aussies, on CW and elsewhere, say his spell at Queensland made then suspect he might have a few issues against top class pace.

Looking at his record there (11 FC games; 47.57 average; 3 tons in 21 innings) it's very good, but certainly not Bradmanesque.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There was quite a bit of buzz around dear old Ian Bell back in the day too.

He went on a U19 tour to NZ when he was 16 (made runs too), went on a Loins/A tour to the Windies at 19 and was called up as cover for a full test tour back in the land of the long white cloud off the back of it.

Had a bit of a wobble for a couple of seasons, but then hit 6 tons in 2004 and debuted in the last test of that summer off the back of it.

Had a very decent career (certainly a lot better than Hick or Ramps managed) but maybe rarely dominated the way a chap of his prodigious gifts might've done.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair bit of hype around Tim Southee before Napier in 2008, which only got hypier (not a word) after that performance. Took him 10 more years to become a consistently international-class player, unfortunately.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fair bit of hype around Tim Southee before Napier in 2008, which only got hypier (not a word) after that performance. Took him 10 more years to become a consistently international-class player, unfortunately.
He had some great U19 performances right?