• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most hype before a test debut?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There were huge wraps for Peter May prior to his test debut. As a 13 year old his talents were recognised at Carterhouse but he had to wait until the following year before being considered for the 1st XI. In 1950, in his first year at Cambridge, May was highly regarded and the following year he made his test debut.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There were huge wraps for Peter May prior to his test debut. As a 13 year old his talents were recognised at Carterhouse but he had to wait until the following year before being considered for the 1st XI. In 1950, in his first year at Cambridge, May was highly regarded and the following year he made his test debut.
Likewise Colin Cowdrey was also a child prodigy.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
For NZ, I'd actually say Jesse Ryder. As he'd had enough time performing but not getting picked for people to wonder why.

But only kinda, domestic cricket in nz doesn't really generate hype even in local media , probably since demise of public radio domestic coverage in late 90s.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although it was more a personal opinion than general hype, Gordon Greenidge said 21 year old Robin Smith was the best white batsman he’d ever seen at that age.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't read the whole thread but from an England perspective the answer is surely Kevin Pietersen

Jayro

U19 12th Man
I umpired a 50 over one day final in which Robin Smith played. His brother, Chris, was in the same team. I guess he would have been close to 50 but his batting was great to watch. Good bloke too.
Robin was among the best players of fast bowling in his time and on form based premier batsman in the world for sometime when he peaked had seen an abrupt decline when an Indian tour and rising Kumble dented his batting massively.

Gob

International Coach
What about current young crop who haven't made their debuts yet? I hear good things about Rachin. Shaun Marsh looks a decent prospect as is Arjun Tendulkar

Bijed

International Regular
I don't know about 'hype' but there was a fair bit of interest when Haseeb Hameed was called up iirc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know about most hype, but the Wisden site were pumping up the tyres of Sonny Baker yesterday. 18 YO quick on Somerset's books.

Took 3/22 in a red ball hit and giggle against Worcestershire.

Looks to be getting some decent hoop, but then it is early spring here.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Van Tonder... but that could just be me talking about him all the time.

Also Rabada got quite a bit of hype after his U19 WC exploits and debuted relatively soon thereafter.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Also Rabada got quite a bit of hype after his U19 WC exploits and debuted relatively soon thereafter.
Not just his World Cup exploits. He picked up the best ever first-class figures in South African cricket and took 6 wickets in his first ODI. He's the only South African I can think of who had a huge amount of hype, although Markram may have had some too but not to the same extent.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although it was more a personal opinion than general hype, Gordon Greenidge said 21 year old Robin Smith was the best white batsman he’d ever seen at that age.
I umpired a 50 over one day final in which Robin Smith played. His brother, Chris, was in the same team. I guess he would have been close to 50 but his batting was great to watch. Good bloke too.
Had a very good record vs the West Indies didn't he, from memory? Also played one of the best knocks in a losing side I've ever seen in an ODI vs Aus on the 93 Ashes tour.

Also, quite an interesting comment from Gordon, when you think about it.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Not just his World Cup exploits. He picked up the best ever first-class figures in South African cricket and took 6 wickets in his first ODI. He's the only South African I can think of who had a huge amount of hype, although Markram may have had some too but not to the same extent.
De Kock had a ton of hype.