• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most destructive modern batsman?

Most destructive modern batsman?

• Total voters

hang on

State Vice-Captain
I would imagine that it would be 3 way tossup between:

Richards
Gilchrist
Sehwag

How would you rank the 3?

Needless to mention, it solely concerns test batting.

(A poll this time would really be greatly appreciated.....could the mods, administrators or the powers that be please oblige. Ta in advance!)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rate them on their batting ability or destructiveness?

Batting

Richards
Sehwag
Gilchrist

Destructiveness

Sehwag
Gilchirst
Richards

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very hard to call. I haven't seen Richards so that makes it even harder. I'd probably go:

Richards
Sehwag
Gilchrist

smash84

The Tiger King
Ricky Ponting IMO - did you see the damage he did to that TV?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Very hard to call. I haven't seen Richards so that makes it even harder. I'd probably go:

Richards
Sehwag
Gilchrist
Would agree with this.

Richards could intimidate the likes of Imran Khan (who wasn't a shrinking violet himself) with his destructive batting. That is saying something.

Bun

Banned
Sehwag in test cricket, no doubt. Perhaps the most aggressive top order batsman in the history of the game.

Daemon

Are we talking destructiveness on average throughout their careers or destructiveness at their respective peaks

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag. You can pick at his patchy record...but think of it like this: if one of them is going to score big against you...who do you least want it to be if you are the opposition? He can put a match on it's head in just a session.

Last edited:

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
Ricky Ponting IMO - did you see the damage he did to that TV?
Hiral Patel, obvs.
:lol:

Are we talking destructiveness on average throughout their careers or destructiveness at their respective peaks

and if we do speak of the thing at their respective peaks, then i would surely consider it to be richards even if i havent seen him live. i have seen most of his videos and the way he used to smash the bowling attacks was just amazing .. as in the quality of bowling itself was very much different in that era in my opinion .and to be the feared among those bowlers was something richards achieved very easily

Burgey

I think Viv scored, or could punish, all around the wicket a tad more than Sehwag, but the latter is more destructive against spin - again, by not a massive margin.

Would have both ahead of Gichrist, who probably hit the ball cleaner than either of the others. Then again, that may be an impression gained from this high grip on the bat.

bagapath

International Captain
absolutely adore richards and gilchrist and really love sehwag. all three can take the game away in a session. but i have gone for richards taking into consideration he was awesome in both tests and ODIs

kingkallis

International Coach
Richards ( without the helmet he killed some of the bowling units )
Gilchrist
Sehwag ( Let him perform on quick wickets )

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Has to be Viv for my vote. :)

No helmet (and faced the Windie quicks in the nets).
Old bat "technology".
Full-size grounds.
Swagger.
Gum chewing.
Psyched out bowlers.
Physically the biggest - built like a brick ****house.
Best nickname (Master Blaster).