• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif held in Dubai

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why would you carry something in your wallet for several month, if you don't know what it is .... that logic beats me
I had one of those fake barcodes they use for shoplifting prevention on the inside of my wallet for years, and tripped off store alarms repeatedly. Finally found it one day. Needless to see, I felt like an idiot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh though, what he had in his wallet clearly wasnt an expired credit card or anything resembling what one would expect to find in ones wallet.

ret

International Debutant
I had one of those fake barcodes they use for shoplifting prevention on the inside of my wallet for years, and tripped off store alarms repeatedly. Finally found it one day. Needless to see, I felt like an idiot.
wrong analogy, i guess

Asif case is more like he is carrying it even though he knew it's in his wallet but don't know what it is

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
wrong analogy, i guess

Asif case is more like he is carrying it even though he knew it's in his wallet but don't know what it is
I wasn't trying to make a point out of my post; I was just reminded of it and thought it was an amusing story to tell.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pfft, Asif will probably get away with it, just like he does everything else.. Fully expect him to be opening the bowling when Pakistan decide they next want to play test cricket..

funnygirl

State Regular
Howver in this particular case one can't do much about, if Dubai police let him off free .They have some strict laws related to ''drugs '' ,so it is not that easy for Pakistan to influence them that way .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought I was really clever when I managed to steal one of those and stick it on my inner thigh at the age of 9 or 10 or so.

When the alarm kept going off as we walked in and out (repeatedly) of the store, it took me ages to work-out what was going on. Then I thought... oops... when I finally worked-out what had happened.

Fusion

Global Moderator
UAE drops charges against Asif: Ambassador

ABU DHABI, June 3: Pakistan Ambassador Ahsan Ullah Khan said here on Tuesday that charges against cricketer Mohammad Asif, detained on arrival at the Dubai airport, had been dropped.

Asif was returning from India after taking part in the Indian Premier League when he was detained on charges of possessing illegal drugs.

The ambassador said that the fast bowler was detained because of a misunderstanding which had been cleared.

The cricketer, he said, would be released soon and would take the first available flight to Pakistan. The ambassador had earlier said that lawyers appointed to handle Asif’s case were in contact with the Dubai prosecution office and the Pakistani missions in Abu Dhabi and Dubai were providing all possible support to the cricketer.

Nadeem Akram, director of HR at the Pakistan Cricket Board, has also arrived in Dubai.

Fusion

Global Moderator
This whole incident is further embarrasment for Asif and Pakistan Cricket. Even if the above news I posted is true, the damage caused to both Asif's and Pakistan cricket's reputation would not subside. Sadly, these days all we get is bad news when it comes to Pakistan cricket. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This whole incident is further embarrasment for Asif and Pakistan Cricket. Even if the above news I posted is true, the damage caused to both Asif's and Pakistan cricket's reputation would not subside. Sadly, these days all we get is bad news when it comes to Pakistan cricket. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There will NEVER EVER be any light in the tunnel or outside until we stop acting like the proverbial Ostrich and all that comes in the way of our brooms does not keep ending under our 'carpets'

Expect a statement from all concerned how it was just a misunderstanding. We are already reading about an 'ayurvedic herbal medicine' given to Asif many months back by a 'Hakeem' for some elbow pain. He does not, of course remember exactly when, or the name of the medicine and says he had forgotten that it was lying in his wallet for all these months.

I also must check my wallet today. Gooey stuff tends to remain in one's wallet for months and somehow never gets noticed :dry:

Whats amazing is not this news but that cricket enthusiasts should find this news "amazing".

Why are you surprised ?

Just because the Paksitani authorities, the Pakistani fans and supporters, Pakistani media and public in general, continue to force their heads deeper still into the sand emerging only to scream, that "the needles found on Shoaib were for insulin" or that the legendary heroes (let them remain un-named for to restart another controversy is not my intention) have never had anything "proven" against them and hence match-fixing and other allegations are figments of fertile imagination etc., the facts don't change. It doesn't change the fact that things have been getting from murky and murkier to dirty and dirtier in the sub-continent in general and Pakistan in particular.

If we think that bringing the culprits to book is somehow connected to national pride and brings collective shame then their is no hope for us.

But surprised? No Sir - I am not surprised at all. Yes, I would have been a bit more surprised if he was caught by a Pakistani airport authority and then convicted.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Celebrities detained for drug related crimes in Dubai

March 2, 2008: German national, Kat T., a senior executive at a top UK television discharged of bringing in and possessing 0.03 grams of hashish.
November 23, 2007: Renowned British disc jockey (DJ) Groovreider caught for illegally bringing in and possessing 2.16 grams of marijuana. He was sentenced to four years.
September 2007: Top musician from New Zealand, only identified as B.A., detained for illegally bringing in and possessing 0.7 grams marijuana.
June 2, 2007: Senior Indian executive, Harindra Singh, vice-chairman of Percept Holding, and his two associates detained at a hotel for possessing banned substances. The three were pardoned later.
October 5, 2006, Dubai Court dismissed case against leading Mexican lawyer for illegally bringing in six seeds of Cannabis upon a ruler's pardon.
May 19, 2006: American hip-hop producer Dallas Austin detained for possessing 1.26 grams cocaine and five-and-a-half capsules containing cocaine and an MDM drug. He was pardoned shortly after being convicted and sentenced to four years in jail.
June 12, 2005: Indian fashion designer Prasad Bidappa detained carrying 2gm of marijuana (ganja).
- Bassam Za'za', Senior Reporter

As you can see, there is precedent here for pardoning Asif IF he has done the wrong thing.

Dubai's Ruler is rightly regarded as being tough but fair and one of the world's great leaders.

He is also very pragmatic in his approach as opposed to some of the ultra conservatives in other Middle Eastern countries

However, rest assured, that if it gets to the stage where Asif requires leniency, more than a pound of flesh will be extracted from the PCB and Pakistan

social

UAE drops charges against Asif: Ambassador

ABU DHABI, June 3: Pakistan Ambassador Ahsan Ullah Khan said here on Tuesday that charges against cricketer Mohammad Asif, detained on arrival at the Dubai airport, had been dropped.

Asif was returning from India after taking part in the Indian Premier League when he was detained on charges of possessing illegal drugs.

The ambassador said that the fast bowler was detained because of a misunderstanding which had been cleared.

The cricketer, he said, would be released soon and would take the first available flight to Pakistan. The ambassador had earlier said that lawyers appointed to handle Asif’s case were in contact with the Dubai prosecution office and the Pakistani missions in Abu Dhabi and Dubai were providing all possible support to the cricketer.

Nadeem Akram, director of HR at the Pakistan Cricket Board, has also arrived in Dubai.
How can charges be dropped when none have been laid as yet?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
However, rest assured, that if it gets to the stage where Asif requires leniency, more than a pound of flesh will be extracted from the PCB and Pakistan
And that would be what ? Sending Pakistan Cricket Team to play ODIs in UAE ? PCB will jump on that.

Infact PCB will send rest of the Pakistan Cricketers to Dubai with opium in their wallet, if the above deal could be guaranteed. :happy:

social

And that would be what ? Sending Pakistan Cricket Team to play ODIs in UAE ? PCB will jump on that.

Infact PCB will send rest of the Pakistan Cricketers to Dubai with opium in their wallet, if the above deal could be guaranteed. :happy:
Here's an example of the way things are done here

1. US Congress blocks Dubai Ports' (a division of Dubai Holding - wholly owned by government/ruler) purchase of American ports as part of P & O purchase

2. Dubai accepts decision

3. Emirates Airlines (again owned by Dubai) is Boeing's (US company and huge employer) largest customer with the ability to bring the latter to its' knees if it takes business to competitor

4. As part of aircraft purchase deal AFTER Congress' decision, Boeing announces plans to relocate 25,000 skilled workers and their families to Dubai

Payback's a bitch

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's an example of the way things are done here

1. US Congress blocks Dubai Ports' (a division of Dubai Holding - wholly owned by government/ruler) purchase of American ports as part of P & O purchase

2. Dubai accepts decision

3. Emirates Airlines (again owned by Dubai) is Boeing's (US company and huge employer) largest customer with the ability to bring the latter to its' knees if it takes business to competitor

4. As part of aircraft purchase deal AFTER Congress' decision, Boeing announces plans to relocate 25,000 skilled workers and their families to Dubai

Payback's a bitch
Haha, ouch.