• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif held in Dubai

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
htttp://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/353533.html

Doesn't look good

I'd wager they are waiting on something and it's not the test results

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
latest on cricinfo .... which is contrary to whats reported on dawn

Mohammad Asif is likely to remain in detention in Dubai for another three to four days, a Pakistan board official has said, quashing widespread speculation that he had been released or had charges against him dropped.

Asif has been detained at Dubai International Airport since Sunday after an allegedly contraband substance was found in his wallet. Since then, the PCB has appointed legal counsel for him and sent a senior board official to Dubai to handle the case.

Discussions took place between Asif's lawyer and prosecutors yesterday, though with no immediate resolution. A PCB official told Cricinfo that results from a urine test authorities carried out on Asif are still awaited, as are the results of a test on the substance itself. The fact that it has taken them so long to get results is in itself a concern, the official said.

Further complicating the matter is the fact that there has been a death in the UAE's royal family, which generally means that the various states will observe a period of mourning now over the next few days and that public offices may remain closed.

Several TV channels and newspapers reported today that charges against Asif had been dropped. Dawn newspaper reported the Pakistani ambassador to the UAE as saying that and that Asif was due to head back to Pakistan on the first available flight.

"These are incorrect as far as we know," a PCB official told Cricinfo. "The charges haven't even been laid against him so far. As far as we know of the process, the airport prosecutor lays the charges down and passes on to the public prosecutor who will then decide whether or not this should go to trial. That process, we have been told, can take three to four days. But we are concerned that they have not come back still with results of the urine test, which they carried out on Sunday and the tests on the substance."
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/353533.html

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's an example of the way things are done here

1. US Congress blocks Dubai Ports' (a division of Dubai Holding - wholly owned by government/ruler) purchase of American ports as part of P & O purchase

2. Dubai accepts decision

3. Emirates Airlines (again owned by Dubai) is Boeing's (US company and huge employer) largest customer with the ability to bring the latter to its' knees if it takes business to competitor

4. As part of aircraft purchase deal AFTER Congress' decision, Boeing announces plans to relocate 25,000 skilled workers and their families to Dubai

Payback's a bitch
For the families? :ph34r:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Never thought I'd say this about a cricket player, but he's nothing more than an arrogant, self-absorbed **** who doesn't know nor appreciate when he's gotten a break.

Throw the book at him.

FRAZ

International Captain
Haha Once again some people are socially active once again cuz some thing bad happened which was about the player of a certain country .......
Hahahaha

social

What is the latest on Asif's case?
Caught with evidence of a recreational drug but blood tests negative

Holding for a period prior to charging is common here in cases with profile - especially when Ruler has been otherwise occupied

Craig

World Traveller
Caught with evidence of a recreational drug but blood tests negative

Holding for a period prior to charging is common here in cases with profile - especially when Ruler has been otherwise occupied
So if he is found guilty, will the Rulers/Courts make an example out of him by giving a higher sentence then if he wasn't an international cricketer and known on the world stage? Or will it not matter?

Anyway whatever happens and I'm sure Jono will hate me for it, but I think Asif can take the claim of the worlds dumbest cricketer. Jesse Ryder and Marlon Samuels not far behind IMO.

social

So if he is found guilty, will the Rulers/Courts make an example out of him by giving a higher sentence then if he wasn't an international cricketer and known on the world stage? Or will it not matter?

QUOTE]

News didnt make much of a ripple here tbh (inside of sports section)

Sachin and Ponting are far and away the biggest names as far as I can tell, so he's pretty much a B-lister in that regard

James

Cricket Web Owner
Being found guilty of drug charges carries the death penalty in Dubai (UAE) doesn't it?

funnygirl

State Regular
Haha Once again some people are socially active once again cuz some thing bad happened which was about the player of a certain country .......
Hahahaha
I have to agree that ,because the list is pretty huge including Bothams ,Half of the Kiwis (90's team ),Gibbs ,then some paks like Ws ,Mushtaq etc .

The question here is not abt using it ,but the ''dumbness '' of carrying it in ur wallet .Another question had Asif punished for nandro issue would he have landed in such a trouble ?

social

I have to agree that ,because the list is pretty huge including Bothams ,Half of the Kiwis (90's team ),Gibbs ,then some paks like Ws ,Mushtaq etc .

The question here is not abt using it ,but the ''dumbness '' of carrying it in ur wallet .Another question had Asif punished for nandro issue would he have landed in such a trouble ?
Unfortunately, Asif apparently carried drugs into a country with a strict and widely available drugs policy - "if" he did it, then he is a moron of the highest order

BTW, steroids attract the same penalty

social

Hahahaha
Stop producing morons and the world will stop commenting

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really hate the idea that an entire country (Pakistan for instance) "produces morons". No one country can have a widescale effect of producing morons, it's an utterly ridiculous idea. There's such a massive difference in more important circumstances than nationality as regards moron-production as to make any attempt to correlate nationality with moron-production belief-defyingly stupid.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I must say it was really dumb on Asif's part.He can get all the drugs he wants in pakistan and he smuggles some drugs into dubai?