• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Asif held in Dubai

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well as yet he hasn's actually been arrested, merely detained. The news channels always tell you the worst possible to increase the scandal. He'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist, the PCB has a lot of pull with the UAE.

Trouble does seem to follow him though doesn't it?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Didn't someone go to jail for having a miniscule amount of marijuana on the bottom of the shoe? The amount was so small, you couldn't even see it...I've no clue how the authorities think that person was going to use it.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I reckon it might be a similar issue. Until we know the amount he was carrying, I don't think its fair to judge.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea, if its anything like enough to be used for personal consumption, he's just dire.
What does "anything like enough to be used for personal consumption" mean?

One speck is enough to know that you've had it on you and enough to convict - minimum to be found guilty is .05 of a gram and it doesnt matter whether it's recreational drugs or banned substances , e.g. steroids

Anyway, it goes from bad to worse IF this is true

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiati...plicated_after_brawl/articleshow/3096251.cms?

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
FFS. 8-)

First, I doubt him being a "bit drunk" as a defence is going to win him many brownie points at home. And I don't really see how being drunk and brawling with security officials at an airport is ok behaviour anyway.

Second, its amazing how every single time a sporting celebrity, Pakistani or not, cricketer or something else, is caught doing wrong, its all a conspiracy to get them. Now, in this case, who knows, its possible that he's telling the truth, although UAE officials are generally relatively straight. But basic logic and the shortest review of history tells you that a lot of the times when a sportsman protests his innocence of whatever act of moronic wrongdoing, usually claiming he was targeted for a conspiracy or elsewise the wronged victim, he's probably lying through his teeth.

Third, why is Asif using a substance that apparently can be easily mistaken for opium to 'boost his strength' given his little indiscretion and resultant highly fortunate let-off in the lead up to the WC. If you had an iota of a brain you'd say "no more supplements for me, honest exercise and a good diet will have to be enough". ******.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What does "anything like enough to be used for personal consumption" mean?

One speck is enough to know that you've had it on you and enough to convict - minimum to be found guilty is .05 of a gram and it doesnt matter whether it's recreational drugs or banned substances , e.g. steroids
If you read where I posted an example (one guy had something stuck to his shoe and it was so small it couldn't be used for anything, or even been seen) where he got nailed. If it was a large enough sample for him to know he had it, then it's a different story.

duffer

Opium? Man, who the hell uses opium these days? I thought they converted all of it to heroin before they sold it?

This is just wierd, going to an airport with drugs on him. Surely he can't be that stupid, especially in a country like the Emirates.

EDIT: This is in reference to that article saying he's been charged with opium posession

Last edited:

social

He'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist, the PCB has a lot of pull with the UAE.

QUOTE]

IF he's guilty, there are a couple of problems with that theory

Firstly, Dubai is not just a city but a brand worth untold billions. If you think that they would risk any smear, no matter how slight, for a relative nobody like Asif you dont know this place

Secondly, the Ruler of Dubai or another extremely influential royal, who are the only people capable of making this decision, are currently in a 3 day mourning period due to the death of a member of the UAE's ruling family. No-one, and I seriously mean NO-ONE, would take such a decision without their go ahead.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Exactly - what does Pakistan have that UAE wants so badly that they'll compromise their stance on the transit of drugs through their country, given the powerful people in Dubai already have more money than they could feasibly ever use?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Opium? Man, who the hell uses opium these days? I thought they converted all of it to heroin before they sold it?

This is just wierd, going to an airport with drugs on him. Surely he can't be that stupid, especially in a country like the Emirates.

EDIT: This is in reference to that article saying he's been charged with opium posession
They have found some 'substance' on him which they suspect could be opium or 'hashish'. No one knows for sure what it is till the chemical analysis report is available which is why no charges have been pressed and he is merely 'detained' rather then arrested.

social

They have found some 'substance' on him which they suspect could be opium or 'hashish'. No one knows for sure what it is till the chemical analysis report is available which is why no charges have been pressed and he is merely 'detained' rather then arrested.
This is not unusual - if the authorities are going to lay charges, it usually takes a substantial amount of time before doing so and, once that happens, you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle because they like to be certain before doing so

jammay123

State 12th Man
I thought it would be a bit more difficult to find a more stupid pakistan player than shaoib but i think Asif has easily shown how stupid he is. nevermind getting caught in dubai with drugs which is stupide enough but after the steroid issue he would have done well to stay away from drugs altogether. its as bad as bothams excuse for having weed 'i forgot i had it' if guilty banned for life imo, two drugs charges in a year.