• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Amir retires from tests

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fair enough. I. as I daresay you have gathered, do not. To me they are different levels of severity of the same thing.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your ancestors sent my ancestors to this island prison for stealing a loaf of bread. We wanted to distance ourselves from your haughty, proper english and by god we did it

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Struggling to think of s player who will be missed less by genuine lovers of the game.

Mitch Marsh if he retired, I suppose.

Burgey

Correct, you implied that the result was null and void, which I am sympathetic to, however under most definitions and my own understanding this is what separates match fixing from spot fixing, semantic issue regarding terminology but I consider the two acts to be different crimes, not different expressions of the same crime
He was paid money to deliberately under perform. Should never have played again. Don’t care if he was 17, 23 (most likely his real age back then) or 30. Gone.

Good riddance to him tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Your ancestors sent my ancestors to this island prison for stealing a loaf of bread. We wanted to distance ourselves from your haughty, proper english and by god we did it
Well I hope you were given a certificate after all the effort you put in

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Will never forgive him for tainting Stuart Broad’s Test Century. Hope he rots in cricket hell.

Flem274*

123/5
glad he's gone. i harbour no ill will towards the guy per se and his junior nature and youth was exploited by his captain which is disgusting but he should have been barred from playing cricket again. the one mercy i'd give him tho is the pcb should have helped set him up with an alternative career or something as compensation for the crimes (im using that word in a moral sense not legal sledger) of their most prominent representative (salman butt the captain) against him.

at the time i pointed out the sympathy for him versus the indifference to a certain mr 'totally not chris cairns' x exploiting lou vincents frail mental health was pretty yuck and got shouted down for it. it's a bit annoying to see people still pulling the poor little kid card.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
He was paid money to deliberately under perform. Should never have played again. Don’t care if he was 17, 23 (most likely his real age back then) or 30. Gone.

Good riddance to him tbh.
Was he paid to do anything other than bowl one no ball? It's a little extreme to call that underperforming, that implies much more.

In essence I agree though, the match was tainted, he as a player will always be completely tainted and there is a very legitimate argument that he should never have played again, certainly not trying to justify his career being allowed to continue after only 5 years

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was he paid to do anything other than bowl one no ball? It's a little extreme to call that underperforming, that implies much more.

In essence I agree though, the match was tainted, he as a player will always be completely tainted and there is a very legitimate argument that he should never have played again, certainly not trying to justify his career being allowed to continue after only 5 years
He took a 6 fer in that innings. He was obviously still trying to win the game

cnerd123

likes this
I sympathize with Amir. Young ambitious kid in a tough situation, surrounded by negative influences and without a solid upbringing or community behind him. Those are the raw ingredients that lead can often lead to criminal acts.

His punishment was proportional to the crime, and I'm glad he got a chance to get his career back on track and redeem himself.

I don't like the posters suggesting there is an absolute black and white when it comes to morality, and suggesting that Amir was a bad person on the basis of this act, especially when their own lived experiences are so far away from Amir's that they can't even fathom themselves in his shoes to begin with.

However, spot fixing isn't tolerable just because it's lower on the spectrum to match fixing. As fans of the sport we should be careful not to mix up sympathy for Amir with suggesting that spot fixing is somewhat more tolerable than match fixing.

And his retirement is not a big loss to world cricket. The bigger loss was the years he spent on the sidelines. He hasn't been the same since returning, which is to be expected, but also if his teammates could catch the damn ball we might not be saying this.

Burgey

That’s under performing for money though. I dunno, something sticks in my craw about tanking in general like Tomic and Kyrgios sometimes do, let alone taking some bookie’s cash even to bowl a no ball.

Legalities of his case or even match fixing aside, as I used to say to the kids I coached from under sixes up, there’s no worse insult to a sportsperson than to say they didn’t have a go. If you’re taking cash to do what he did, you’re under performing

kushagra29

Cricket Spectator
I feel he should re-consider his decision. Retiring at the age of 27 and that when you are in good rhythm is not ideal. He made mistakes but after comeback he is completely different guy with a lot of maturity. Hope he will think about his decision

Kirkut

International Regular
Too much fangirling going on here.

Mind you even Pakpassion does not rate Amir as highly as CW does.