• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Wood 150kph bowler

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Malcolm was definitely capable of reaching 90mph levels, though I have no idea if he did it consistently (before my time really). But there are plenty of anecdotes from England batters at the time who said that in training they'd wait to see which net Malcolm was bowling in and then go in another one.

number11

State 12th Man
It's hard to frame this without knowing how to define "express" and "super tall".

Flintoff regularly bowled high 80s into early 90s at his peak bit generally might have been mid-80s for most of his career. SiJo similar but different types of bowler. I'd have him as a more threatening quick bowler than someone like Stephen Finn though, who could ramp it up to around 92-94 for a while before his action fell apart.

Wood is definitely the most consistently fast bowler I can remember England producing though. Archer obviously had a moment but unlikely to play again. I don't know what Malcolm clocked in at but I'd have him a tier below Wood.
Express means 150k plus. Regularly. As they say in the West Indies- there's quick and then there's REAL QUICK.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Express means 150k plus. Regularly. As they say in the West Indies- there's quick and then there's REAL QUICK.
150+ is a topping out speed. Even in a very fast spell, the quickest bowlers will be averaging in the mid-high 140s. In the match just gone, Wood averaged 146 in the first innings and about 143 second innings (if my Imperial to metric conversions are right).

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, I agree, its rare to see an average 150 kph+ speed even among the fastest bowlers ever.

I would say express means that they are able to send out deliveries over 150kph whenever they want to and not just in a few spells.

Kirkut

International Regular
I think Ambrose definitily bowled in the mid 140s on a regular basis although it was before speedguns
Ambrose was mostly McGrath quick with speed guns. Unlike McGrath, he could get the ball to jump at discomforting heights from fuller lengths.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was measured at a round 140 in SA in 92/93 - Waqar was measured at 153 in the same series. I don't see him being any faster than that.
88 when they toured England he was quick, think a bit like McGrath though he realised he was good enough to lose a bit of pace and just use his accuracy and bounce to cause enough problems. Both could slip into a new gear if and when needed but didn't have to very often.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Hard to believe he's only played 29 test matches. If he was fit all of the time he would surely have played many more.

For some reason his favourite football team is Wimbledon.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
And only 17 of those Tests were after changing his run up and really hitting express pace in late 2018. Since then he has 67 wickets at a sub-25 average. Also played less than half his career ODIs in that timeframe, again bowling at an average way below his overall career stats. Shows that express pace 1) is really effective and 2) sadly wrecks the person bowling it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes his development of an extra 5kph or so of pace from a baseline of mid-140s to begin with at the age of 33 while spending a lot of time on the sidelines through injury is certainly a rare feat.
It is. I think you're a ripping bloke Burge man but your insinuation, especially as a law man, that Wood has taken PEDs to get those extra kms despite you having zero evidence to back it up, is unbecoming.

Shane Bond did the same. Started as a high 130s guy, went to Police College and got strong, came back and ripped it. It can happen. I don't know Wood's story of how he's become what he is now, but I'd like to.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
It is. I think you're a ripping bloke Burge man but your insinuation, especially as a law man, that Wood has taken PEDs to get those extra kms despite you having zero evidence to back it up, is unbecoming.

Shane Bond did the same. Started as a high 130s guy, went to Police College and got strong, came back and ripped it. It can happen. I don't know Wood's story of how he's become what he is now, but I'd like to.
He's bowled at express pace for almost 5 years now, bar the odd series here and there where he's not been in rhythm. You could see it in e.g. the 2019 WC where he was consistently bowling quicker than Archer (who was pretty much at his own peak that summer).

As far as I can tell, the change came from when he switched from his weird, short, sprinters run up to the more conventional, longer run up he uses now.

Himannv

International Coach
I remember Walsh was fairly quick at the start of his career and gradually dropped pace as his career progressed, although he swung the ball more as his pace lessened.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not sure peds can make you a 150 kph bowler. To help with fitness issues, very possible, but i dont really care in that case.

Carlos

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ambrose was mostly McGrath quick with speed guns. Unlike McGrath, he could get the ball to jump at discomforting heights from fuller lengths.
its hard to say because they didn't use speedguns regularly. I think Ambrose bowled generally between 135-143 kph but when he was pumped like 7-1 against Aus ect he ramped it upto over 145kph .But we will never know. I just look at bowlers who bowl around 140kph now and then think Amby was just as quick if not quicker when in the mood. But may be wrong

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
i wonder who the fastest bowler pre 1960 was. Impossible to say I guess, apparently Larwood may have been up at 150kph and supposedly he wasnt the fastest.