• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Wood 150kph bowler

halba

International 12th Man
5 wickets . He's world class. Would've been a great if not for injury. Aus have their hands full now as he will definitely play the 4th test

Bowling action / run up is basically similar to Akhtar or Waqar on some angles.

Express pace bowlers are rare due to injuries. Eg jasprit bumrah injured for India. Australia have only one in domestic Cricket- Lance Morris who was injured recently. Also recently jhye Richardson who bowled 145kph and is having surgery

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes his development of an extra 5kph or so of pace from a baseline of mid-140s to begin with at the age of 33 while spending a lot of time on the sidelines through injury is certainly a rare feat.

halba

International 12th Man
Yes his development of an extra 5kph or so of pace from a baseline of mid-140s to begin with at the age of 33 while spending a lot of time on the sidelines through injury is certainly a rare feat.
Sad the age-33. he only has a couple of seasons left at this pace. By mid 30s that is.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Probably already has a strong case to be England's best express bowler for a very long time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hope that body keeps him up with that action.
It pretty much already hasn't.

He debuted all of 8 years ago now and has only played in 28 tests since 2015. Not all down to injuries but they haven't helped.

Funny you mention his body though, because he definitely doesn't fit the fast bowler's archetype. He's not especially tall and is on the skinny side. Nor does he have an easy, smooth action. Seems to bowl quickly through sheer determination.

I mean, that's patently cobblers because he's very clearly a supremely gifted athlete, but his physique definitely doesn't advertise the fact.

Ali TT

International Debutant

He debuted all of 8 years ago now and has only played in 28 tests since 2015. Not all down to injuries but they haven't helped.

Funny you mention his body though, because he definitely doesn't fit the fast bowler's archetype. He's not especially tall and is on the skinny side. Nor does he have an easy, smooth action. Seems to bowl quickly through sheer determination.

I mean, that's patently cobblers because he's very clearly a supremely gifted athlete, but his physique definitely doesn't advertise the fact.
He basically plants his front leg then hurls the rest of his body through, which was why he used to fall over a lot and unsurprisingly gets injured frequently.

smash84

The Tiger King

Funny you mention his body though, because he definitely doesn't fit the fast bowler's archetype. He's not especially tall and is on the skinny side. Nor does he have an easy, smooth action.
Most of the express quicks in the last few decades haven't been super tall though. Shoaib, Waqar, Marshall, Shane Bond, Brett Lee (how tall was he?).

Ali TT

International Debutant
Most of the express quicks in the last few decades haven't been super tall though. Shoaib, Waqar, Marshall, Shane Bond, Brett Lee (how tall was he?).
6ft 2. Dunno if there's any correlation but there's also been quicks who have been tall - Harmison, Starc, Morkel, Ambrose and Walsh, Flintoff...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
For most of his career he probably was tbh. But he was definitely reaching this on a consistent basis between 2003 and 2006-ish.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Ambrose definitily bowled in the mid 140s on a regular basis although it was before speedguns
He was measured at a round 140 in SA in 92/93 - Waqar was measured at 153 in the same series. I don't see him being any faster than that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FTR Lee & Bond were both at least 6'1 if not pushing 6'2, so definitely taller than the likes of Waqar, Shoaib, Steyn & Marshall who were closer to the 5'10-5'11 range.

Ali TT

International Debutant
It's hard to frame this without knowing how to define "express" and "super tall".

Flintoff regularly bowled high 80s into early 90s at his peak bit generally might have been mid-80s for most of his career. SiJo similar but different types of bowler. I'd have him as a more threatening quick bowler than someone like Stephen Finn though, who could ramp it up to around 92-94 for a while before his action fell apart.

Wood is definitely the most consistently fast bowler I can remember England producing though. Archer obviously had a moment but unlikely to play again. I don't know what Malcolm clocked in at but I'd have him a tier below Wood.