• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Viv Richards: Who's the greater cricketer?

The greater cricketer

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Had to vote for Marshall because he was the best quick of all time, whereas Richards, as good as he may have been, wasn't the best batsman (even if you exclude Bradman).

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Viv, by a whisker for me. Great batsman, imposing personality and a more than useful captain later on to. Was instrumental in helping West Indies win the 1975 and 1979 WCs. Marshall was a better bowler than Viv was a batsman, but since the question is of 'cricketer', I'm adding in a few other parts as well.

Can't believe they had so many ATGs in one side.

J_C

U19 Captain
Not much to choose between them in Tests but Viv was a vastly better ODI player so Viv.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall for me.

Greatest bowler ever in my opinion and great everywhere and in all conditions.

One of the top 3 cricketers ever IMHO

Gob

International Coach
Viv, by a whisker for me. Great batsman, imposing personality and a more than useful captain later on to. Was instrumental in helping West Indies win the 1975 and 1979 WCs. Marshall was a better bowler than Viv was a batsman, but since the question is of 'cricketer', I'm adding in a few other parts as well.

Can't believe they had so many ATGs in one side.
Not much to choose between them in Tests but Viv was a vastly better ODI player so Viv.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had to vote for Marshall because he was the best quick of all time, whereas Richards, as good as he may have been, wasn't the best batsman (even if you exclude Bradman).
You can mount a reasonable argument that McGrath was the equal to or superior of Marshall. I'd still run with Mako, but it's at least arguable.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You can mount a reasonable argument that McGrath was the equal to or superior of Marshall. I'd still run with Mako, but it's at least arguable.
Judging them as bowlers only in all conditions they're about on par I reckon. Agree with that for sure.

Actually think there are about a dozen quicks who are roughly on par with each other. Don't think Marshall is clearly the best as some ppl do.

The one significant thing that both McGrath and Marshall did was excel in all conditions.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sure, I'd almost buy that re: McGrath. But there must be at least 20 batsman who you could make a reasonable argument for being equal or better than Viv.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know about 20.

Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Hobbs

If pushed, would add probably
Hutton
Chappell

But that's about it.