• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Viv Richards: Who's the greater cricketer?

The greater cricketer

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
He could also get a ball to move two ways in one delivery, usually swinging in and seaming away. The only other guy I've seen who could do that with any regularity was Wasim Akram, and he was nowhere near as consistent as Marshall.
What? You must be kidding me. Marshall wasn't as good as Akram in moving the ball around.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Marshall. The greater player. Viv's legacy is a bit undone because of less tv footage from his time compared to the 90s and beyond, mind.

A team of Vivs would win in both tests and odis though v a team of Marshalls as Viv could bowl well enough to get Marshall out and then make the runs.

Stapel

International Regular
Macko would likely be in most people's top 5 bowlers. And though Viv would probably be in many people's top 2-6 list of batsmen, he wouldn't be in most's.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Stapel is spot on. I would pick Greg Chappell ahead of Viv for tests. My all time top 5 would be -

Bradman
Sobers
Hobbs
Chappell
Lara

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird stuff in this thread from many people. Viv is very much as worthy a contender for the title of 2nd best batsman as Marshall is for bowlers. Viv competes with Sachin/Sobers/Hobbs/Lara etc and Marshall with McGrath/Hadlee/Lillee/Warne/Murali etc.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
While that is true (both competing with great players), the number of people who will pick Marshall in their top 5 compared to Viv is higher.

OverratedSanity

While that is true (both competing with great players), the number of people who will pick Marshall in their top 5 compared to Viv is higher.
On CW you mean. Not necessarily in the general public/critical opinion. Viv was way higher than Marshall in that ESPN legends of cricket list, for example.

Stapel

International Regular
On CW you mean. Not necessarily in the general public/critical opinion. Viv was way higher than Marshall in that ESPN legends of cricket list, for example.
Well, the ESPN list of legends.......

Just to clarify. Viv would probably be in my to 5. But, today, a list of possible top 5 candidates, imho, for batsmen is far longer than such a list for bowlers. In Viv's days, both lists would probably have the same lenghts.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Weird stuff in this thread from many people. Viv is very much as worthy a contender for the title of 2nd best batsman as Marshall is for bowlers. Viv competes with Sachin/Sobers/Hobbs/Lara etc and Marshall with McGrath/Hadlee/Lillee/Warne/Murali etc.
You said it right there. Marshall is competing for best bowler ever. Richards is only competing for 2nd best batsman.

OverratedSanity

You said it right there. Marshall is competing for best bowler ever. Richards is only competing for 2nd best batsman.
That's frankly ridiculously unfair on Viv. There's zero shame in not being as good as Rahane.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nopes. Marshall was neither as good nor as consistent as making the ball swing around. Let's stop making Marshall something that he wasn't.
Think he may have meant consistent in the sense of tighter use of swing. Could be the other thing too though.

Slifer

International Captain
I love IVA to bits but in this comparison, for reasons already stated by the likes of kyear, MM WINS.

Let's assume the Don never existed, I'd still consider Viv to be in the top 5 batsmen of all time but I'd have a hard time making that argument from a statistical perspective. MM on the other hand has all his bases covered : style, speed, stats, consistency, etc etc

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Think he may have meant consistent in the sense of tighter use of swing. Could be the other thing too though.
This is what I meant. I didn't mean consistently getting swing; Akram was definitely the all-time king of that. I mean getting it to swing and still consistently putting it on the dot.

smash84

The Tiger King
I love IVA to bits but in this comparison, for reasons already stated by the likes of kyear, MM WINS.

Let's assume the Don never existed, I'd still consider Viv to be in the top 5 batsmen of all time but I'd have a hard time making that argument from a statistical perspective. MM on the other hand has all his bases covered : style, speed, stats, consistency, etc etc
That's the thing. I think people are looking wayyyy too much into stats. Iirc imran and hadlee had better stats for the 1980s than Marshall. Marshall isn't hrad and shoulders above imran hadlee steyn donald ambrose holding mcgrath lillee etc. Just like viv isn't greatly better than so many other batsmen. However i think Viv was more instrumental in helping the wi reach great heights than was Marshall. Take Marshall out of thw wi side and you would still have an attack thats ATG and that can hold its own against the best of the best. Take viv out of that team and you can't say that the team would have been that strong without him.