• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KW vs. ABDV, 2016 and beyond

KW vs. ABDV in 2016 and beyond

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Who will have the more stellar remainder of their career of the two (all formats considered)?

On the one hand, KW is now the No. 1 ranked Test batsman and is improving with every year.

On the other hand, ABDV can play innings that KW has not yet proven he can play. 31-ball ODI 100s and 200+ ball Test blockfests means that ABDV is uniquely a man for all seasons.

In my heart of hearts I reckon ABDV is the better batsman right now but KW is improving so rapidly I couldn't bet on him not being the better of the two soon.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
The remainder of ABDV's career is like half the length of the remainder of KW's. Is this a fair comparison?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah slightly weird thread given they're from slightly different eras. Possibly a case of trying to generate another KW comparison, of which you can be forgiven.

AB's era is more closely aligned with Ross Taylor & even McCullum than KW.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The remainder of ABDV's career is like half the length of the remainder of KW's. Is this a fair comparison?
Was going to say the length of the remaining career doesn't matter. Consider average stellarness over the remainder.

Started the thread because KW is ranked higher than ABDV in Tests but I'm not convinced he's really better.

Flem274*

123/5
Kane isn't better yet imo, or at least isn't as accomplished. but that's no slight really. kane, smith, root and kohli just haven't got the mileage yet. they're allowed to be not #1 at their age and experience level.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah Kane needs to tour the world one more time round at least to get into AB territory.

Burner

International Regular
I think in test cricket, KW is going to surpass AB by some distance. He's going to have more centuries and more runs. In ODIs though, KW has a long long way to go..

Gob

International Coach
I think in test cricket, KW is going to surpass AB by some distance. He's going to have more centuries and more runs. In ODIs though, KW has a long long way to go..
That won't make him better

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
That won't make him better
You don't think KW will be better, though? He's already improved a lot over the past 2 seasons and shows no sign of relenting in his desire to perfect his game. I can totally see an argument for ABDV being better right now, but in two years' time?

viriya

International Captain
AB is arguably the GOAT ODI batsman already and in the top 20 all time in Tests.. Kane might match AB's test accomplishments but he will get nowhere near him in ODIs.

Gob

International Coach
You don't think KW will be better, though? He's already improved a lot over the past 2 seasons and shows no sign of relenting in his desire to perfect his game. I can totally see an argument for ABDV being better right now, but in two years' time?
KW is pretty good no question but i think people are going bit OTT with him atm. There were people voting for him to be better than Ponting on the other thread, he may as well of course but he is still like 10k runs short of Pootangs achievements. i've said a while back that the way AB is batting right now is as good as the likes Tendulkar,Lara,Richards etc were at their respective peaks . Its not just the numbers but its the pure audacity to pull off things that other mare mortals dream of and KW is comfortably short of that

Will he be better in two years? well im sure that KW will score runs and hundreds and continue to rise upwards in the greatness scale but i'm sure AB, still 30 years old would be doing the same so the current gap between the two will remain

Burner

International Regular
AB does those kind of things in ODIs though. I really don't think KW will reach that level of explosiveness but he doesn't have to as long as he keeps scoring a run-a-ball centuries at the top of the order, in ODIs. In tests, I am pretty sure KW will overshadow AB in a few years.

Stefan9

International Debutant
He can't keep wicket thought and average 58 as AB has done.