• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KW vs. ABDV, 2016 and beyond

KW vs. ABDV in 2016 and beyond

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't think KW will be better, though? He's already improved a lot over the past 2 seasons and shows no sign of relenting in his desire to perfect his game. I can totally see an argument for ABDV being better right now, but in two years' time?
Yeah but players don't just exponentially keep getting better as their careers go along. They plateau, and they also get worked out a bit.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah but players don't just exponentially keep getting better as their careers go along. They plateau, and they also get worked out a bit.
Yeah the degree to which this will happen really determines the answer to this thread. As I found out today, not even KW thinks KW is as good as ABDV. So it's probably fair to say, regardless of current Test rankings, that ABDV is better right now.

But as you say, batsmen plateau. So I don't expect ABDV to get much better from here because he is already 5 or 6 years older than KW. The same thing will no doubt happen to KW, but if this year is any indicator it has not happened yet. But by the time it does, will KW be better than ABDV? I think yes - although ABDV probably has more natural talent he's up against a machine.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
AB de Villiers has to be top 3 of all time in ODIs, surely? Him, Viv and Sachin are streets ahead of the Bevan-Dhoni led pack (obvs all having different roles, but whatevs). Williamson will be an extremely good, world class ODI player, but he'll never be good enough to break clear of that ATG pack to hit GOAT contention.

In Tests? AB's not nearly as special -- he's well and truly in the ATG pack with a lot of other huge names. I'd back KW to break clear of it, tbh, to really be in contention for GOAT (Bradman Excluded). I think he's going to be that good.

Spark

Global Moderator
AB de Villiers has to be top 3 of all time in ODIs, surely? Him, Viv and Sachin are streets ahead of the Bevan-Dhoni led pack (obvs all having different roles, but whatevs). Williamson will be an extremely good, world class ODI player, but he'll never be good enough to break clear of that ATG pack to hit GOAT contention.

In Tests? AB's not nearly as special -- he's well and truly in the ATG pack with a lot of other huge names. I'd back KW to break clear of it, tbh, to really be in contention for GOAT (Bradman Excluded). I think he's going to be that good.
ABdV is a god but I'd still take Dhoni over the whole course of their careers tbh. Easy to forget how nonsensically good he was a few years ago.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
AWTA. Viv, Sachin, DeVilliers, Dhoni and Dean Jones are the stand out batsmen in ODIs all time for mine. Ponting and Bevan deserve a mention but I think they're a tad below those others.

Williamson is great in ODIs but I don't know if he has that extra x-factor that puts him right in the top tier.

As for tests, Williamson is pure joy to watch, and from the limited amount I've seen, the sky is the limit. Beautifully rounded and balanced player, who could very well end up in the top tier of test batsmen.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA. Viv, Sachin, DeVilliers, Dhoni and Dean Jones are the stand out batsmen in ODIs all time for mine. Ponting and Bevan deserve a mention but I think they're a tad below those others.

Williamson is great in ODIs but I don't know if he has that extra x-factor that puts him right in the top tier.

As for tests, Williamson is pure joy to watch, and from the limited amount I've seen, the sky is the limit. Beautifully rounded and balanced player, who could very well end up in the top tier of test batsmen.
Haven't heard Dean Jones mentioned before..

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You knew a thread started by a poster called kiwiviktor was started by a NZer? Incredible insight.
wouldn't have thought that the startlingly obvious "without looking at the poster" needed to be directly stated in a forum of relatively functioning individuals over the age of 5 but I stand corrected

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
AB de Villiers is the most unique and versatile batsman I've ever watched. I am genuinely glued to the television every time he bats. Kane is a fantastic batsman and one of the best 2 or 3 batsmen to watch in terms of pure technical excellence, but I'd still take AB.

In terms of rest-of-career rankings, Kane will obviously be the better test match batsman as his skill-set is made for that form of the game. ODI's I don't know if there's anything he could do with the remainder of his career for it to be better than AB's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think you have to look at it as guys who either changed the role definition of their respective batting positions as amongst the greatest ODI Batsmen of all time OR they are just so so ****ing awesome so consistently at their roles that it beggars belief.

So that means,

Sachin
Gilly
King Viv
ABDV
Dhoni
Bevan
Hussey
Klusener (at his best)
Dean Jones

EDIT: So while AB has totally changed what LO batting is all about, I feel Kane can still get on the list in a few years by the latter qualification.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
i would have Sanath instead of Gilly..Sanath was as brutal as Gilly and more and Miandad for Hussey showed the value of singles in ODI..