• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara- rank him

Lostman

State Captain
Impossible while FTP remains the way it is.
Hate the ****ing FTP with a passion.

Sanga doesn't seem like a guy that would hang on for too long.
3-4 years max, and with the number of tests SL gets that is probably 12 more tests for him:@

Would be very interesting to see what his career numbers end up as a non-keeper. 50+ tests would be a good enough sample size for this.

Also kind of a chicken/egg scenario with him.
What would he have averaged if he never kept?
What would he have averaged if still kept?
He gave up keeping during his prime years to focus on his batting, so his statistics leave a lot of room for assumptions.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sehwag has to face Murali, Mendis. Sangakkara gets to feast on our 'bowlers'.

It's actually become easy defending our batsmen now that we have a truly ****e bowling attack in comparison to every other team :p

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sanga to me is on road to become one of those greats who when retired would be greatly missed....i.e. Lara ...Gilly....Sanga to me is on his way their....of course his style is a bit less pleasing to watch then the likes of Gilly or Lara..but this guy knows how to bat in Test cricket....brilliant player.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag has to face Murali, Mendis. Sangakkara gets to feast on our 'bowlers'.

It's actually become easy defending our batsmen now that we have a truly ****e bowling attack in comparison to every other team :p
He rarely feasted on Indian bowling BTW. He feasts on medium pacers and quick bowlers majority of time. All his 200s have come against quick bowler dominated sides or BAN

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But Sanga vs Sehwag it's a no brainer.
Ha ha what a coincidence. Last night, I was having a chat with a friend of mine who is also a Sehwag fan, and he too made the exact same statement :P

No, it's not a no brainer, for sure. Sangakkara might be considered to be a better batsman than Sehwag by some, but definitely not by miles.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Ha ha what a coincidence. Last night, I was having a chat with a friend of mine who is also a Sehwag fan, and he too made the exact same statement :P

No, it's not a no brainer, for sure. Sangakkara might be considered to be a better batsman than Sehwag by some, but definitely not by miles.
Sangakara averages 40 in SA , 66 in NZ , 30 in Eng & 65 in Aus.

Shewag averages 26 in SA, 20 in NZ, 39 in Eng & 59 in Aus.

Shewag struggles against moving ball hence his record is poor in places where ball moves. Sangakkara is miles ahead of Shewag.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Shewag struggles against moving ball hence his record is poor in places where ball moves. Sangakkara is miles ahead of Shewag.
Good point....

Always thought Sanga's class was above Sehwag.

Shri

Mr. Glass

I wub Sanga but will try and get some perspective here. Sanga has played a mighty 3 matches in Australia with a top score of 192 to give him an average of 65. Sehwag has played 6 games there and has got 750 runs at an avg of 62 with 2 tons and 4 fifties. Too small a sample size but Sehwag is miles ahead in this department at the moment. This could change in the future but it is as it is for the time being.

Umar_Akmal

Banned
I wub Sanga but will try and get some perspective here. Sanga has played a mighty 3 matches in Australia with a top score of 192 to give him an average of 65. Sehwag has played 6 games there and has got 750 runs at an avg of 62 with 2 tons and 4 fifties. Too small a sample size but Sehwag is miles ahead in this department at the moment. This could change in the future but it is as it is for the time being.
Shewag never played against Warne & Mcgrath in Aus. Shewag average in Aus is maintained by 195 he scored in 2003 series when Aus played with Andy Bichel,Bracken & Mcgill. Sangakara scored against Mcgrath,Lee & Warne. Shewag cannot play swing thats why he is rubbish in those places.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Shewag never played against Warne & Mcgrath in Aus. Shewag average in Aus is maintained by 195 he scored in 2003 series when Aus played with Andy Bichel,Bracken & Mcgill. Sangakara scored against Mcgrath,Lee & Warne. Shewag cannot play swing thats why he is rubbish in those places.
Oh gawd, now it swings in Australia? Its raining rabbits in my backyard.:)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And add SAF matches too. He toured SAF when he was shadow of a batsman now, but still had done better than Sehwag. Sanga played some of his Aussie matches on Winter grounds of Aus, which helps bowlers more, unlike Sehwag, who played all the matches on summer grounds. Even when you watch them it's evident that bowlers who trouble Sehwag are seamers and that of Sanga are spinners.

Shri

Mr. Glass
And add SAF matches too. He toured SAF when he was shadow of a batsman now, but still had done better than Sehwag. Sanga played some of his Aussie matches on Winter grounds of Aus, which helps bowlers more, unlike Sehwag, who played all the matches on summer grounds. Even when you watch them it's evident that bowlers who trouble Sehwag are seamers and that of Sanga are spinners.
Yeah. I agree. Mine was just a knee jerk, stat infested post in response to Umar_Akmal. I know what their strengths and weaknesses are and I agree with you.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
McGrath and Warne both weren't playing in the match that sanga scored his 190 in iirc. Was still a pretty solid attack mind and a great innings.

thierry henry

International Coach
As good as any player in the world in the last 10 years, and belongs in any "all-time greats" conversation.

In other words, obscenely underrated.