• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara- rank him

It was a last minute tour after England didn't want to play Zimbabwe.
Well,considering how few opportunities they get I'd have thought they'd have taken whatever came their way,tbh.You really can't defend a team choosing a fifth rate domestic tourny over a tough away tour TBF.

Lostman

State Captain
Well,considering how few opportunities they get I'd have thought they'd have taken whatever came their way,tbh.You really can't defend a team choosing a fifth rate domestic tourny over a tough away tour TBF.
SL players were not getting paid at this time.
The senior players were giving up their pay so that the junior and A team would get paid.
The players had already signed IPL contracts, and I have no problem them wanting to play IPL to make an income over a last minute tour.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If out of two guys who average around the same, one is a better match winner, doesn't also imply that he's also a bigger match loser? The numbers have to add up.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If out of two guys who average around the same, one is a better match winner, doesn't also imply that he's also a bigger match loser? The numbers have to add up.
Not necessarily TBH. The match-winner tag has become attached to Sehwag mostly because of his strike rate and the fact that he can turn things around in a matter of minutes, rather than just the fact that he has a habit of piling up huge scores.. I'd guess that both Sehwag and Sangakkara would have similar standard deviations. Also when Sehwag does one of his 150+ knocks, it becomes so easy for the rest of the batting lineup to just bat around him without doing anything spectacular that a 500+ total at 4 RPO is virtually guaranteed.

Sangakkara should receive bonus points over Sehwag for his 2nd innings average though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanga's 2nd innings average is simply amazing.

Whilst Sanga failed today, Sehwag did himself no favours with his 2nd innings average either :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not necessarily TBH. The match-winner tag has become attached to Sehwag mostly because of his strike rate and the fact that he can turn things around in a matter of minutes, rather than just the fact that he has a habit of piling up huge scores.. I'd guess that both Sehwag and Sangakkara would have similar standard deviations. Also when Sehwag does one of his 150+ knocks, it becomes so easy for the rest of the batting lineup to just bat around him without doing anything spectacular that a 500+ total at 4 RPO is virtually guaranteed.

Sangakkara should receive bonus points over Sehwag for his 2nd innings average though.
Yeah, thats true. I think its worth thinking about in other cases though. I know there was a period 5 or so years ago when many people considered Dravid a bigger match winner than Tendulkar, and that obviously had nothing to do with strike rate.

vcs

Yeah, thats true. I think its worth thinking about in other cases though. I know there was a period 5 or so years ago when many people considered Dravid a bigger match winner than Tendulkar, and that obviously had nothing to do with strike rate.
True, when he batted well, we usually won matches because he turned things in our favour in tight situations and tough conditions on quite a few occasions, especially away.. Sehwag's approach is quite different but effective in its own way.

SL players were not getting paid at this time.
The senior players were giving up their pay so that the junior and A team would get paid.
The players had already signed IPL contracts, and I have no problem them wanting to play IPL to make an income over a last minute tour.
Yes but then they can't really complain about not getting enough opportunities.

Interesting view.How is failing in the first dig any better than failing in the second one?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
First digs decide matches far more often than second digs even though it is tougher to score in the second dig. Importance people place to second inning averages is overrated.

vcs

Yeah, it might not necessarily win you more matches, but I certainly think it points to a general ability to survive in tougher conditions.

However, there are also exceptions, several pitches and overhead conditions ease out as the match progresses and get easier to bat on, so it's not a definitive thing.

akilana

International 12th Man
For the last 5 years or so...definitely.
Both started their careers in different time and 5 years before Sehwag was almost nobody. I'm talking about overall in their careers, Sachin never got runs as quickly as Sehwag does.. so Sehwag must be better because he gets runs quicker than Sachin?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sehwag has been both the better Batsman and Matchwinner in the last five years, for mine.

However,

Sachin late 90s>Sehwag late 00s.

Sachin Overall>>Sehwag Overall.

IMO obv.

Lostman

State Captain
Yes but then they can't really complain about not getting enough opportunities.
This makes no sense.

SL is a top 8 test team and shouldn't have to settle for scrap tours/series thrown their way when Eng and Ind don't have anyone to play with.
This is why a fair a FTP is needed.

Both started their careers in different time and 5 years before Sehwag was almost nobody. I'm talking about overall in their careers, Sachin never got runs as quickly as Sehwag does.. so Sehwag must be better because he gets runs quicker than Sachin?
Show me where I said that.