• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root is number one

Flem274*

123/5
Root has hit 10 tons in the last 18 months. In that time Smith, Kohli and Williamson have hit 1 between them
whenever i filter batting by this decade or whatever Root always stands out as both the most tonniest player and also it reminds me just how dedicated England are to always playing. Last I checked Root had 33 games to like the 10-15 of the other guys.

It's great tbh and I wish the rest of the world pushed test cricket as heavily as England.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
whenever i filter batting by this decade or whatever Root always stands out as both the most tonniest player and also it reminds me just how dedicated England are to always playing. Last I checked Root had 33 games to like the 10-15 of the other guys.

It's great tbh and I wish the rest of the world pushed test cricket as heavily as England.
Rest of the world fans don't support Test cricket enough, financially

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is gonna sound very "Shane warne broke his fingernail in india"-eqsue, but root really hasn't been given the best circumstances for his Aussie tours either. In 2017 he was rushed into hospital mid one game with a bad stomach bug, and in 2021 he was at rock bottom mentally with the captaincy burden and kept getting hit in the crown jules.
The greatest contribution he has made to the game in Oz is to get hit in the nuts repeatedly over the course of a series. It was ****ing funny.

Flem274*

123/5
Rest of the world fans don't support Test cricket enough, financially
with the amount they charge for entry to an Indian T20 here I think we do. People (in SENA at least) have the tv subscriptions and go to the games. IME anything (odi day game, test cricket) on a work day tends to suffer rather than test cricket specifically.

I've said this before, but test cricket is being actively killed off by administrators on purpose.

TheJediBrah

with the amount they charge for entry to an Indian T20 here I think we do. People (in SENA at least) have the tv subscriptions and go to the games. IME anything (odi day game, test cricket) on a work day tends to suffer rather than test cricket specifically.

I've said this before, but test cricket is being actively killed off by administrators on purpose.
Why would they do that though, if it wasn't financially inferior

StatsLance

Cricket Spectator
Can somewhat forgive him for 2013 (Johnson + opening) and 2021 (spicy decks). But 2017-18 had the roadiest roads on the planet. Mitch Marsh (lol) made 2 tons that series.

Still definitely a blot on his record, questions to answer etc
He failed to get one in 2019 ashes too.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Much is being made of Root's 'failures', citing series in which he has failed to make a century. The other "Big Four" batsmen have all played in multiple Test series in which they have failed to make a ton. (Smith 10 series, Kholi 11 series and Williamson 17 series when they have played in more than 1 Test in a series without a century.)

If CW members wish to question Root's worthiness to be ranked number one by pointing out England have more Tests available then let's have an even playing field and look at each of the Big Fours' performances over their past 15 Tests.
Smith 1 century over last 15 Tests, Kholi 0 centuries, Williamson 4 and Root 7 in last 15 Tests.

Daemon

I don’t think anyone is suggesting he isn’t the best batsman in the world atm. It’s just a hole in his record.

BazBall21

International Regular
In disgustingly good nick atm. Aussies should be proud of their record against Root. Doesn’t have many other holes now he’s sorting his conversion rate out (that arguably still has some way to go).

Victor Ian

International Coach
How **** has Smith become. I hear blah blah, he's in good nick but unfortunate, blas blas, but he seems to have lost the aura. Root will be remembered as the better player because while Smith is going the way of Ponting, root is going the way of Sangakkara.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Much is being made of Root's 'failures', citing series in which he has failed to make a century. The other "Big Four" batsmen have all played in multiple Test series in which they have failed to make a ton. (Smith 10 series, Kholi 11 series and Williamson 17 series when they have played in more than 1 Test in a series without a century.)

If CW members wish to question Root's worthiness to be ranked number one by pointing out England have more Tests available then let's have an even playing field and look at each of the Big Fours' performances over their past 15 Tests.
Smith 1 century over last 15 Tests, Kholi 0 centuries, Williamson 4 and Root 7 in last 15 Tests.
the idea to me for root is though specifically for an english cricketer having a gaping maw of a record in australia of all places is crucially important, because that's where and when you need to put on your big boy pants and perform for the glory of your peoples

i've said it before but i'm equally harsh on dave warner for this very reason inverted, his lack of scores on ingerlish soil (and india too, which is next most important)

TheJediBrah

How **** has Smith become. I hear blah blah, he's in good nick but unfortunate, blas blas, but he seems to have lost the aura. Root will be remembered as the better player because while Smith is going the way of Ponting, root is going the way of Sangakkara.
I don't think Root will finish better, or be remembered better, but he's definitely doing a lot better right now

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
the idea to me for root is though specifically for an english cricketer having a gaping maw of a record in australia of all places is crucially important, because that's where and when you need to put on your big boy pants and perform for the glory of your peoples

i've said it before but i'm equally harsh on dave warner for this very reason inverted, his lack of scores on ingerlish soil (and india too, which is next most important)
Warner’s record in England is because he can’t play the moving ball. What do you put Root’s Oz record down to because for my money he’s faced off some very similar challenges elsewhere with high returns.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Warner’s record in England is because he can’t play the moving ball. What do you put Root’s Oz record down to because for my money he’s faced off some very similar challenges elsewhere with high returns.
lacking vertebra

Shady Slim

International Coach
all joke aside to me it's just probably emblematic of the mental block england players seem to face here in recent years - same deal with kiwu tbqh

something forgotten often when people talk about the johnson ashes in 2013-14 is that your boys didn't really play that badly on the whole, and certainly not so bad they deserved to be swept. your bats did enough to get your bowlers in positions where they had something to bowl at, your bowlers did well enough to have australia four or five down for not that many. but then when the bats had to put the foot down to take a decent position to a dominant one, or when the bowlers had to put the foot down and finish the tail off, that's when it came unstuck right

TheJediBrah

Better bowling IMO. All of Root's last 3 Ashes series in Australia have had exceptional; collective Australian bowling series'.

Last edited: