• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root is number one

Spark

Global Moderator
Vaughan obviously nowhere near the match of a player overall career-wise but you'd be hard pressed to bat much better than he did on that tour.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan obviously nowhere near the match of a player overall career-wise but you'd be hard pressed to bat much better than he did on that tour.
And the previous home summer against India, he got 6 centuries in the calendar year which Root has already.

Mad how bad his injuries were in his career that he only played in two ashes series, usually injuries wreck a bowlers career not a batsman.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan circa 2002/03 was beautiful. Cover drives + pull shots. Shame his purple patch was so brief, and that he never figured out white-ball cricket

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the time he looked to have when batting on that tour was outrageous, it made some atg/atvg bowlers look village at times. pulling perfectly good length balls into the stands for six like it was no biggie.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
on root though, reminds me of lara in the 00s. an absolute gun who oppo bowlers can't figure out. then his fellow batsmen who are a bunch of utter chumps not worthy to share the pitch with him.

Spark

Global Moderator
the time he looked to have when batting on that tour was outrageous, it made some atg/atvg bowlers look village at times. pulling perfectly good length balls into the stands for six like it was no biggie.
Yeah it was one of the first series I followed really closely and I was just blown away by how good he was. Thought he was going to be some, like, superlative standout batsman for England for the next ten years because he was still pretty young IIRC.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Yeah I remember when we had Sachin and Lara and we all thought it was so great that we had two ATGs. Now we have 4.

Smith easily the best, but Virat has slipped down and both Root and KW are climbing. I think Virat will be back with a vengeance soon too, so it will be fun to follow again.
Only smith is worthy of being compared to lara and tendulkar. He may eclipse them if he maintains his form. Kohli can't even compare to dravid.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only smith is worthy of being compared to lara and tendulkar. He may eclipse them if he maintains his form. Kohli can't even compare to dravid.
Their careers are not done. And as much as I love Dravid, he had holes in his resume too. And either way, I rate them all as ATGs. Its not like Dravid is the gatekeeper for ATG levels in my eyes.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Joe Root's averages this year:

Overall 67.57

vs Sri Lanka 106.50
vs NZ 24.25
vs India 68.92

Will be interesting to see how he goes against the Aussies.

Aritro

International Regular
Joe Root's averages this year:

Overall 67.57

vs Sri Lanka 106.50
vs NZ 24.25
vs India 68.92

Will be interesting to see how he goes against the Aussies.
With the way he's looking at the crease, with perfect balance and nimble footwork I reckon he'll score a mountain of runs on those pitches. But other great players in good form have failed before so who knows.