• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

shankar

International Debutant
don't think Zaheer was awesome in **** bowling conditions the conditions were ideal for reverse swing which is his strength.Its like if I start arguing that Wasim,Waqar and imran were better then Marshal,Walsh and Curtly just based on the facts they bowled more in sub cont.
I wouldn't call the conditions in the last coupl of series ideal for reverse swing at all. There are some pitches/grounds in India which are so rough that the ball starts reversing by about 20 overs. But this was not the case in the matches this year at all. Reverse swing has been scarce but used well whenever available.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think classifying Anderson as world class depends almost entirely on your definition of 'world class'. I've almost always defined someone as world class if they are able to make almost every team in the world and I think in Anderson's situation that is surely the case. I do agree though that when it comes to rating him as a bowler, there is merit in waiting to see if he can maintain the standard of his most recent performances, particularly away from home.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I wouldn't call the conditions in the last coupl of series ideal for reverse swing at all. There are some pitches/grounds in India which are so rough that the ball starts reversing by about 20 overs. But this was not the case in the matches this year at all. Reverse swing has been scarce but used well whenever available.
Nah disagree conditions for the Australian not NZL series were ideal for reverse the problem was apart from ZAK no other bowler from either side had a clue about reverse had there been someone like Malinga or Shoaib we could have seen the difference, not taking anything away from Zaheer who was far an away the best bowler on either side.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
A lack of good bowlers has nothing to do with whether or not Anderson is world class. Being world class is dependent on your peers. Anderson is one of the best fast bowlers in the world at the current time, which makes him world class.

wow, do you realise how much of a contradiction you are?:laugh:

z.khan
steyn
morkel
asif
amir
m.johnson (if anderson is allowed a bad patch then so is johnson)

are all better bowlers than anderson, proven to some extent in challenging conditions against good strong opposition

that makes anderson a mid ranking bowler at best, and the state of bowling is pretty weak right now.

seriously, get a grip, take away his matches against an imploding pakistan, minnows and now an imploding australia what do you have left?

his modest talents and abilities and his mental fragility should discount him from being anywhere near the top tier.

Spark

Global Moderator
his modest talents and abilities and his mental fragility should discount him from being anywhere near the top tier.
Haha wow, it's odd seeing this kind of horrible logic being thrown about wrt non-Aussies.

Some of the balls I've seen Anderson bowl in the last year or so on a regular basis have just been out of this world.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
wow, do you realise how much of a contradiction you are?:laugh:

z.khan
steyn
morkel
asif
amir
m.johnson (if anderson is allowed a bad patch then so is johnson)

are all better bowlers than anderson, proven to some extent in challenging conditions against good strong opposition

that makes anderson a mid ranking bowler at best, and the state of bowling is pretty weak right now.

seriously, get a grip, take away his matches against an imploding pakistan, minnows and now an imploding australia what do you have left?

Zaheer - debatable. I'd put Jimmy slightly in front, but have no issue if someone ranked Zaheer slightly in front. Not a lot between them.
Steyn - already conceded he's unarguably better.
Asf - no. Has missed far too much cricket. Anyone ranking Asif in front of Anderson is doing so based on potential, not on what each bowler has actually done in the last 3 years.
Amir - see Asif. Was absolutely outstanding in England, but your criticism of Anderson applies equally to Amir.
Johnson - I rate him really highly, but he's been garbage for 6 months.
Morkel - not even going to justify that one.

Anderson can't win with you. If he has a crap series it's because he's rubbish overseas, but he's doing well because Australia are imploding.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends whether you want to factor in propensity to bowl deliberate no-balls and fitness. If you do, Jimmeh comes out comfortably ahead of Asif, Amir and Zaheer.

Also, in fairness to Morkel, his bowling made Jimmeh's look pretty piss-weak when they faced off a year ago.

Xuhaib

International Coach
the next 3 1/2 test will be crucial too see where Anderson stands I reckon sub 30 average should propel too a comfortable #2 atm he is a debatable #2.

Blaze 18

Banned
If I had to choose one out of James Anderson and Mohammad Asif, I would pick the latter every time. This is coming from someone who is far from a Mohammad Asif fan - I dislike the dude because of the things he has done. Fair is fair though, he has been nothing short of phenomenal since his comeback. That said, James Anderson will likely go on to have a far more meaningful career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think classifying Anderson as world class depends almost entirely on your definition of 'world class'. I've almost always defined someone as world class if they are able to make almost every team in the world and I think in Anderson's situation that is surely the case. I do agree though that when it comes to rating him as a bowler, there is merit in waiting to see if he can maintain the standard of his most recent performances, particularly away from home.
That's a good one; I'll remember that. I've tended to go with "is he in World XI contention?" which is similar without a hard-and-fast definition.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Zaheer - debatable. I'd put Jimmy slightly in front, but have no issue if someone ranked Zaheer slightly in front. Not a lot between them.
Steyn - already conceded he's unarguably better.
Asf - no. Has missed far too much cricket. Anyone ranking Asif in front of Anderson is doing so based on potential, not on what each bowler has actually done in the last 3 years.
Amir - see Asif. Was absolutely outstanding in England, but your criticism of Anderson applies equally to Amir.
Johnson - I rate him really highly, but he's been garbage for 6 months.
Morkel - not even going to justify that one.

Anderson can't win with you. If he has a crap series it's because he's rubbish overseas, but he's doing well because Australia are imploding.

anderson is not fit to clean to asif's boots, are you new to cricket or something?

asif is in another planet to anderson, look at their respective records, the only bowler better than him is steyn, put it to a poll on this forum if you want

aamer clearly has more potential than anderson, can bowl faster, with more variety and is a smarter bowler, its inevitable he will walk all over jimmykins, anderson has like a decade on amir yet amir is more exciting, go figure.

morkel again is a more consistent bowler who has height and bounce that will trouble any batsmen

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
technically perhaps, but if we are talking about the hypothetical scenario there is no harm in discussing it
Well okay - Asif's better than Anderson assuming he's allowed to play and won't deliberately lose you the game; two pretty big ifs. Aamer though is rated almost purely on potential and aesthetics because he's had one good tour in his entire career.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, had several good tours was just robbed by having a ****house wicketkeeper/slip cordon which dropped ~ a third of the chances he created.