• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i agree with that, his action has improved, but his ability has not significantly improved imo, still needs the weather to help him, or a crap lineup
Not really what I'm saying

I think he's been very good in, apart from morning 3 of day 1 in Brisbane, largely unhelpful conditions this series but I want a bigger sample size before declaring a changed man after watching him serve up dross from time to time as recently as last summer

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, It'd just be more balanced. Remember that Zaheer averaged 21.8 against Oz when no other bowler from both sides averaged below 30.
Not exactly Jimmeh's fault that Swann's bowling better than Harbhajan and Broad better than Sreesanth. Or even that England's batting lineup might perform worse than India's.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
I'm with Social here. Anderson is getting close to being called World Class on the back of the last few years and his performances on very flat wickets this series but I think we've got to see him firstly finish this series still retaining similar performances then carry them on into the new year.

If he's still going like this by next then yes he's world class as things stand he's very very good.

Blaze 18

Banned
I'm with Social here. Anderson is getting close to being called World Class on the back of the last few years and his performances on very flat wickets this series but I think we've got to see him firstly finish this series still retaining similar performances then carry them on into the new year.

If he's still going like this by next then yes he's world class as things stand he's very very good.
What is the difference between "very very good" and "world-class" ? If you rank among the foremost in the world, then you are world-class, no ?

akilana

International 12th Man
Though he has improved as a bowler in the last three years, he has hardly had any very good series away from home. When he does, I'll call him world class.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
but I want a bigger sample size before declaring a changed man after watching him serve up dross from time to time as recently as last summer

which is what i said

i mean matches against bangladesh and a pakistani team tryng to lose the matches they play has inflated his figures - and seemingly his stature as well.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ask the Aussies who've faced him on complete roads at Brisbane and Adelaide. I don't think they'd be disputing that the guy's world class at the moment.

Not without his faults, obviously, but a fine bowler in all conditions now. And, as others have observed, when conditions are in his favour, he really is terrifyingly good - lots of late swing, both ways, with the new or old ball, at a good pace.

His ability to move the ball both ways is such that he bowls outswingers as his stock delivery to both left- and right-handers. That's quite impressive and, so far as I can recall, pretty much unprecedented.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Ask the Aussies who've faced him on complete roads at Brisbane and Adelaide. I don't think they'd be disputing that the guy's world class at the moment.

Not without his faults, obviously, but a fine bowler in all conditions now. And, as others have observed, when conditions are in his favour, he really is terrifyingly good - lots of late swing, both ways, with the new or old ball, at a good pace.

His ability to move the ball both ways is such that he bowls outswingers as his stock delivery to both left- and right-handers. That's quite impressive and, so far as I can recall, pretty much unprecedented.
you make him sound better than mcgrath and akram combined

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Though he has improved as a bowler in the last three years, he has hardly had any very good series away from home. When he does, I'll call him world class.
He'd walk into any side in the world currently, which makes him world class. His flaws, perceived or otherwise, don't come into it when there's only one quick bowler who is undisputably better than him.

akilana

International 12th Man
He'd walk into any side in the world currently, which makes him world class. His flaws, perceived or otherwise, don't come into it when there's only one quick bowler who is undisputably better than him.
because there isn't many good bowlers doesn't mean he's a world class bowler.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
What is the difference between "very very good" and "world-class" ? If you rank among the foremost in the world, then you are world-class, no ?
Being World Class is just a notch above being very very good and you have to have a sustained period of playing at that level. If he's still doing it in 6 months time then yeah world class. At the moment its a tad early to put him into that bracket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
because there isn't many good bowlers doesn't mean he's a world class bowler.
A lack of good bowlers has nothing to do with whether or not Anderson is world class. Being world class is dependent on your peers. Anderson is one of the best fast bowlers in the world at the current time, which makes him world class.

If Anderson was averaging 40 a wicket, but every other quick in the world was Mohammad Sami standard, he'd still be world class, and by a long way.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMHO, Zaheer is just a tad overrated. Would like to see him dismissing a lot more RHB than he currently does, especially with the LBW (late inswing into the pads). It used to be a stock mode of dismissing right-handers for guys like Pathan and Zaheer with a good outswinger should be doing it a lot more often.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not exactly Jimmeh's fault that Swann's bowling better than Harbhajan and Broad better than Sreesanth. Or even that England's batting lineup might perform worse than India's.
The fact that he had no support just makes it more impressive and was a support point. End of the day, Zaheer averaged 21.8 against Oz. Personally, How much ever I wish him to perform as well, I don't see Anderson doing anything close in the Ashes.

Xuhaib

International Coach
IMHO, Zaheer is just a tad overrated. Would like to see him dismissing a lot more RHB than he currently does, especially with the LBW (late inswing into the pads). It used to be a stock mode of dismissing right-handers for guys like Pathan and Zaheer with a good outswinger should be doing it a lot more often.
right handers like Dion Ebrahim and Javed Omer.