• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson GOAT

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He looked a little rusty against NZ though. Its hard to figure it out . He looked pretty ordinary in the 3rd innings at Lords too, although that may just have been some good batting.

Bijed

International Regular
He looked a little rusty against NZ though. Its hard to figure it out . He looked pretty ordinary in the 3rd innings at Lords too, although that may just have been some good batting.
Yeah, I feel like maybe he just takes a little bit longer to get up to peak form after a bit of a break these days and possibly struggles more than before to maintain a level of quality across a match, I guess because for all his incredibly longevity, surely his body can't take quite what it used to be able to

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
It's like late career Shane Warne. He didn't need to bowl googlies or flippers any more because the simple fact of his being Shane Warne made batsmen cack themselves and run away.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ahaha, Murtagh was another very late bloomer.

Philander is the jaw-dropper on that list. The others either aren't really comparable or are just funny, but having an entire Philander test career (but even better) after turning 33 is genuinely insane.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If Southee can accomplish half of what Anderson's done in his thirties I'll be very pleased. Very similar early-career trajectory.

Gob

International Coach
I ran a couple of statsguru searches out of curiosity.

List of pace bowlers since 1970 with most wickets taken after the age of 35:

View attachment 28945

List of pace bowlers since 1970 with most wickets taken after the age of 36:

View attachment 28947

List of pace bowlers since 1970 with most wickets taken after the age of 37:

View attachment 28946

Walsh was such a ****ing gun - clearly the best at multiple divisions in the 35+ age bracket and a huge gap between him and the other stand outs in the old man stakes, Hadlee and Anderson. The fact that he took nearly 150 wickets averaging 20.9 after the age of 36 is astounding. The next most prolific bowler, Anderson is far away with 86 wickets after 36.

Ftr, if we increase age to 38+ , Walsh/Anderson/Hadlee all have about 35 wickets each playing about 10 tests each and @ 39+, only D'Olivera has more than 10 wickets @ 39+ ftr. Expecting Anderson to remedy that very soon though.
Walsh has an insane record in India too although I don't know how much he got to bowl to the Tendulkar/Dravid centric India. His worst record is in aus where he averages 34 but still has truckloads of wickets

Gob

International Coach
Jimmy always reminded me a bit of Timothy Olyphant and Joel McHale so I ended up morphing them
FaceApp_1630018083903.jpg

Prob not what I was looking for but still a beautiful made up man worth sharing

And a bonus

FaceApp_1630018663522.jpg
No prices for guessing

Last edited:

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Walsh has an insane record in India too although I don't know how much he got to bowl to the Tendulkar/Dravid centric India. His worst record is in aus where he averages 34 but still has truckloads of wickets
Still bowled to the likes of Azharuddin,Vengsarkar who were beast in home conditions.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
It's like late career Shane Warne. He didn't need to bowl googlies or flippers any more because the simple fact of his being Shane Warne made batsmen cack themselves and run away.
By Jove, you’ve cracked it! This is what we should be telling the Indian bowlers - “Jimmy Anderson is just Shane Warne”