• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson GOAT

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Finally a thread about Jimmy Anderson on CW that makes sense (well for now anyway before the great unwashed arrive)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As Lord Protector I’d like to confirm that no Australians are allowed on this thread without asking me first

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What a God.

I love how his Hadleesque reputation becomes more undeniable year after year.

May it never end. Suck it to eternity.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How long can he keep going?

I'm probably as disengaged with cricket right now as I've been in 20 years. I think that might be the end for me when Jimmy calls it a day.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Makes me think how far you can go back on the 6 people thing. Anderson-Hussain- Gooch-Boycott??

Working so cant look it up but wonder if we can get back to Bradmans last test?
Anderson-Hussain (or Stewart, or Gough)-Gooch-Boycott (or Edrich)-Cowdrey-Hutton takes you back to Bradman's last test.

Alternatively:
Anderson-Stewart-Botham-Knott-Close-Hutton

I'm sure there are other ways too.

EDIT
And as LT says, Hutton takes us back to pre-WW2.
I was hoping that Rhodes was recalled for a random test with Hutton, but sadly that didn't happen.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson-Hussain (or Stewart, or Gough)-Gooch-Boycott (or Edrich)-Cowdrey-Hutton takes you back to Bradman's last test.

Alternatively:
Anderson-Stewart-Botham-Knott-Close-Hutton

I'm sure there are other ways too.

EDIT
And as LT says, Hutton takes us back to pre-WW2.
I was hoping that Rhodes was recalled for a random test with Hutton, but sadly that didn't happen.
In domestic cricket beefy famously played with Close, DB smashing him against the wall in a managerial move possibly not approved by HR nowadays.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite unlucky in that after Steyn retired Cummins appeared so he’s never had a run of being #1

Longevity wise he’s the bowling equivalent of Tendulkar. And unlike Tendulkar he looks like he’s just getting better.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In domestic cricket beefy famously played with Close, DB smashing him against the wall in a managerial move possibly not approved by HR nowadays.
:laugh:

Talking of Close, you probably know that he was recalled in his mid-forties to face WI in 1976. Had the selectors made that call 12 months earlier to face up to Lillee & Thomson, then he'd have played with Gooch and the chain from Anderson to Hutton would only have included five players. And if they'd recalled Close to captain the side in 1977 after Greig's sacking, then he'd have played with Botham and, again, the chain would only have included five players.