• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson GOAT

Bijed

International Regular

Gob

International Coach
Haha, I've never forgotten that I made that post and have been intending to check how wrong I was at some point, thanks for saving me the effort!

In case people think that this is a co-incidence and doubt that I have unrivalled influence over how certain cricketers perform, Ben Stokes' stats since I met him are pretty good too :ph34r:
My performances in the sack have been below par of late or so I've been told. Can we meet?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was interesting that England had no dropped catches in this match, made me think if Jimmeh had had Oz's slip cordon, from the 90's early 2000s. or windies in the 80s, rather than the ****e he's had to put up with for years, we could knock a couple of his average, as valid as kookaburra stats anyway....

Gob

International Coach
It was interesting that England had no dropped catches in this match, made me think if Jimmeh had had Oz's slip cordon, from the 90's early 2000s. or windies in the 80s, rather than the ****e he's had to put up with for years, we could knock a couple of his average, as valid as kookaburra stats anyway....
Weird I heard the same thing in another thread today with Wasim. Be that as it may (read in Tony Grieg's voice) I think England have had much better slippers than Pahkiston (Trescothick, Strauss, Collingwood, Root, Stokes, Flintoff) in Jimmy's playing years.

grecian

Weird I heard the same thing in another thread today with Wasim. Be that as it may (read in Tony Grieg's voice) I think England have had much better slippers than Pahkiston (Trescothick, Strauss, Collingwood, Root, Stokes, Flintoff) in Jimmy's playing years.
Well, if they all played together that would be okay, but TBH I am talking more the last 5 years where it's been shocking. Really not sure Root is a great first slip TBH, passable at best.

Yet it's a good point about Pakistan, and Waqar and Wasim.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, if they all played together that would be okay, but TBH I am talking more the last 5 years where it's been shocking. Really not sure Root is a great first slip TBH, passable at best.

Yet it's a good point about Pakistan, and Waqar and Wasim.
Yeah that's the frustrating thing about our fielding, we used to be very good until as you say around 5 years ago. Would be interesting to see some stat's but im sure Jimmy's (all our bowlers tbh) numbers have taken a hit to shelled catches in the cordon.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked done in the second and third sessions of Day 3. I think he needs a break of exactly 2 Test matches.

grecian

Looked done in the second and third sessions of Day 3. I think he needs a break of exactly 2 Test matches.
I don't know if I'm committing Jimmeh heresy on this thread, but I genuinely wouldn't mind him being rested for the Oval, reckon Mahmood could be useful, and it's not one of Jimmeh's fave grounds.

three matches in a row for a near 40-year-old, even if he is an exceptional human, is a bit much I reckon.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not having Nasser at point might have helped as well

Uppercut

It's a fair point but England's slip cordon over his career is probably average at worst, they've had some iffy spells but their fielding under Flower was as good as anyone's. So as others have said, it could have been worse too.

FBU

International Debutant
It's a fair point but England's slip cordon over his career is probably average at worst, they've had some iffy spells but their fielding under Flower was as good as anyone's. So as others have said, it could have been worse too.
Anderson has had 126 catches dropped off his bowling and Broad 124.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson has had 126 catches dropped off his bowling and Broad 124.
That makes for an interesting analysis. So on the completely non-scientific basis of assuming that all of those dropped catches had been taken and we add an extra 126 wickets to Jimmy's Test record for zero additional runs conceded...he'd still have a worse Test bowling average than Glenn McGrath.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps I should have put an emoji at the end of my post to indicate I was teasing England fans rather than trying to throw shade at Jimmy. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That makes for an interesting analysis. So on the completely non-scientific basis of assuming that all of those dropped catches had been taken and we add an extra 126 wickets to Jimmy's Test record for zero additional runs conceded...he'd still have a worse Test bowling average than Glenn McGrath.
You'd have to remove runs conceded from the dropped batsmen after the drop as well for this stat to work.

Wonder if anyone on this forum has ever had an idea along those lines :unsure:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd have to remove runs conceded from the dropped batsmen after the drop as well for this stat to work.

Wonder if anyone on this forum has ever had an idea along those lines :unsure:
If you’re doing that though you’d have to remove wickets he took of batsmen they’d dropped earlier. Gets far too complicated to even try it out.

Burgey

This is why I love CW......so much to learn here.

This week I've learnt that Joe Root is not as good as Bradman, and Jimmy Anderson doesn't quite cut it with Glenn McGrath........mind blown.
Its important they know their place tbh.