• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Leach out of the Ashes

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best outcome from perhaps Dawson but certainly the more fun of the two.
Most fun option apart from maybe Ahmed but certainly the better of the two.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
How utterly embarrassing for English cricket but at the same time, he'll fit right into Bazball

I assume Parkinson was touched on earlier in the thread. I take it Lancashire have thrown him in the TRASH?
Pretty much picking your mates, then?
Not only Lancashire. He was dropped by his franchise as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I’m a Malan fan tbh. You watch him bat and he absolutely looks like he should excel at test cricket, but then he gets out. I genuinely think he’s a good player. Then again, I think the same of James Vince so make of that what you will.
Yeah he's fine, but the men in suits have clearly decided that Crawley will be good (actual performances be damned), and have nailed their colours to this mast. The only way he gets sacked is if he truly is exceptionally bad in the first 2-3 tests imo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cute that you think we’ll need Moeen to bat
Oh I meant that with Moeen averaging 64 with the ball vs Aus but being picked as your front line spinner, Lyon will be able to put his feet up for two and three days at a time and watch his own side bat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh I meant that with Moeen averaging 64 with the ball vs Aus but being picked as your front line spinner, Lyon will be able to put his feet up for two and three days at a time and watch his own side bat.
Okay that makes sense. In which case

Cute that you think we'll need him to bowl more than 8 overs

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I love Mo....how can anyone not? But I really dunno about this, break or bust move for sure.

I mean a month ago, if we were talking about Moeen Ali playing in the Ashes it would have been laughable.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love Mo....how can anyone not? But I really dunno about this, break or bust move for sure.

I mean a month ago, if we were talking about Moeen Ali playing in the Ashes it would have been laughable.
Dawson's definitely a more reliable option in the role they wanted Leach to play but I'd go with Mo if he thought he was up to it. He's not the type to say yes if he doesn't think he's bowling well enough to do the job asked.

Failing Mo I would 100% open the batting with Dawson and bat Woakes at 8. It's definitely not going to happen but it solves a few issues and makes full use of Dawson's biggest strength - being able to fill any hole to a non-horrible standard. He's batted top three in county cricket more than people realise too (although admittedly not for a while).

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah, this is where I'm at I think. I'm definitely in the 'love Mo' camp but not confident in him returning to Tests here.

If we're picking him as the 4th bowler then I really hope Stokes is up to putting in a bowling shift. Aus will surely try and hit Mo out the attack.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I just can't not be excited about Moeen returning..
Delighted, we will smash him all over the park.
Just shows the wonderful depth of English spin bowlers that they get a guy who basically said he found the Test Format "Really difficult to get into" when he retired.:laughing:

FBU

International Debutant
Delighted, we will smash him all over the park.
Just shows the wonderful depth of English spin bowlers that they get a guy who basically said he found the Test Format "Really difficult to get into" when he retired.:laughing:
Gets bored being out in the field for 5 days

@OptaJason

10.2 - Travis Head has struck a boundary in every 10.2 deliveries vs spin bowlers in men's Tests since the start of 2023, the fastest by any
@CricketAu batter (min. 200 deliveries faced vs spin) and 2nd fastest overall.