• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Virat Kohli test material?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Rohit Sharma is a better option for a start.
That could possibly be true..but when it comes to these situations, I always try to put myself in the captain's shoes. From Dhoni's perspective, you have a player like Sharma who everyone has hailed as promising but just hasn't managed to get his act together and perform consistently and you have a Kohli who everyone has hailed as promising but also had a fantastic 2011 in ODI cricket. Its easy now to say Sharma would have been a better option but would you make the same decision two tests ago?
Based on the information available 2 tests ago, I know I wouldn't.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not at all. Legitimate question to ask if he's test class now. His test career has been a struggle.

To write his whole career off is ridiculous.
Not writing him off but I get the feeling he is a new version of Michael Bevan. Gun one day player but his technical flaw is easily exposed in the longer game.

Can see him having a brilliant career in one day cricket but never cutting it as a test player. The worry for India is Raina looks the same at present and they need new bats to step up quickly as the old boys will be retiring soon.

Woodster

International Captain
There's no doubt in my mind Kohli has plenty of talent, some of his innings in one-day cricket have demonstrated what he's capable of producing and if he can transfer those skills into Test cricket he can be a real player for India in the years ahead.

I don't particular like what I've seen/heard about him as a person, but that's just a personal thing, maybe I haven't given him a fair crack yet, but that doesn't alter the fact I think he's very talented, even if I hope he fails every time he walks out. I don't think it's as though he's done anything particularly offensive, just the way he carries himself as though he's already made it as a Test legend.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't blame him for that to be honest.. If I am being abused by a bunch of lowlifes...I would do the same.

Xuhaib

International Coach
not the first cricketer to get abused on the field he needs to shut up and deal with it rather then acting all bad ass and then crying like a pansy on his twittter page.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Don't think 'crying pansy' describes it right. He was abused, he gave them the middle finger. He explained himself. End of story, except for those who'd prefer to blow it up and get a newspaper article out of it.

Would you rather he not make public his side of the story? He doesn't have the advantage of anonymity that the hecklers have.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep not the first cricketer..but just because others take it lying down does not mean he has to either.. Everyone is different. As you said, he needs to deal with it and everyone has a different way of dealing with it. I know I don't tolerate stuff like that. Don't know about twitter fiasco though.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pietersen seems to have enjoyed Kohli's gesture. I guess he's not too crazy about the crowds in the stands either.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't blame him for that to be honest.. If I am being abused by a bunch of lowlifes...I would do the same.
What a wimp. You're a professional athlete. Some words from the crowd should be expected. Not their fault he has made **** all runs and can't do anything but make a crude gesture in response

Cruxdude

International Debutant
What a wimp. You're a professional athlete. Some words from the crowd should be expected. Not their fault he has made **** all runs and can't do anything but make a crude gesture in response
:laugh: Since when did being a professional athlete make one fair game for abuses from public.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Abusing the player is part of the game, but when it comes to abusing a family member (especially mother/sister) then that is out of order. The fan deserved Kohli's gesture.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You'd think Kohli flashed them or something the way people are going on.

Should he have done it? No. Does it show he has a lot to learn about international cricket and is a bit of a tool? Yes. But **** me its not the end of the world.

FYI Kohli does have issues with being abused by Indian fans too:

Virat kohli abusing the spectators - YouTube